A Thousand Suns review by Linkin Park

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Sep 10, 2010
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 5.2 (620 votes)
Linkin Park: A Thousand Suns
1

Sound — 8
I've been a huge fan of Linkin Park for many years, and I find enjoyment in parts of Minutes to Midnight, so I'm going to be as open about this as I can. I'll pay attention to the fact that I DO prefer Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but change happens, and Linkin Park is not without the talent to do so. Upon playing the album, I hear an ambient intro track. Yeah, that sounds like new-age Linkin Park alright. I glance at iTunes and see that it is only 2 minutes long. Yeah, that sounds like new-age Linkin Park alright. And the beats come in, and the creepy vocals... Hmm. "The Catalyst" lyrics. Not bad, it's got a cool vibe. So I'm expecting a buildup into an awesome song, right? Wrong. Dialogue. A full minute. The second track is a minute of dialogue. Thanks guys. Next... Oh, hey, it's "The Little Things Give You Away!" Wait, no it's not, it's the first legitmate song, "Burning in the Skies". It sounds a LOT like the previously mentioned song, but... It's a neat, soft, cool 6/4 melody. Mike singing, like, GOOD singing. That's new, too. And Chester brings us into an atmospheric chorus, a good sing-along. The track's got a nice sound, not too different from parts of Minutes to Midnight, but... Oh well. So the song has an octave-based guitar solo, fitting of the mood. Repeat chorus. So it sounds like they'll keep us on familiar ground to lead us into this new album. Okay. Next song. Wait... 20 second track of war noises. HERE is where the album takes off. "When They Come for Me." This song is the spiritual successor to "Nobody's Listening." It has a... well... headbanging, industrial sounding guitar riff, [quite simple. DUN. DUN. DUN. *rest*] and... Mike rapping. Nice! I like this. Wait, he even just referenced "Points of Authority!" I like this! All of this is over some tribal sounding, crazy dance-drumming. And as Mike tells us to "Try to catch up, muthaf--ka!," it leads into an Aztec-sounding vocal chorus with no real words. Reminds me of the Asian-sounding "Nobody's Listening." So, another verse, chorus, and a bridge part where the song cools off and Chester joins in, singing softly "Oh, when they come for me, come for me, I'll be gone..." I'm eating this up. It's great, and it sounds great. It begins to pick up, and as political as it is, it REALLY works. It all leads back into the chorus and is showing promise. The next song, "Robot Boy," is very piano-based. I was hoping it would be "My December"-like, but... I was a tad disappointed. But this is a definite dim-the-lights-and-grab-your-lighters song. The song doesn't feel like it ever picks up, it has the same sort of epic feel throughout, with various electronic effects throughout. It's not a bad song, but not a staple. The next song, "Jornada Del Muerto," starts quietly with some muffled Chester singing, which is quite hard to discern. This leads into an electronic-type of solo-type melody thing, which isn't bad, but seems a tad random. The song builds up, but when it's only 1:30, there's not much it can build to, so it drops off, leading into the next song. "Waiting for the End." This song sounds, at first, heavier than it really is. The first verse features Mike sort-of rapping, but there are like 4 Mikes tracked on top of eachother, and there IS a melody, so it's sort of weird. Chester then comes in, singing... well, another soft thing. So then Chester sings for a little bit, through the chorus and another verse and chorus, then Mike rap-sings another verse. The whole song has an upbeat vibe, and it's not bad, but I think it'll take awhile to click. But the song sort-of takes off at the end, which was well-needed. Ends up about the same as "Robot Boy," but a bit better. And holy #@%^ing hell, this next song is the surprise of the album. "Blackout." Remember it and remember it well; it's the most pissed off Linkin Park song in awhile [at least the first 3/5 of the song.]. It starts with some quiet synths, then a distant, muffled drum beat. This is followed by some low, bass-y chords that I'm not really sure how to describe, but the mood created by them is awesome. Another synth comes in with a riff, and then the song suddenly speeds up with Chester... rap-singing. Weird... but he sounds a little pissed off in this verse... And now he's screaming his head off in the chorus, and I'm loving it. This sounds like it could've been taken from some Meteora sesions. Chester asks us if we're "f[b]u[/b]cking listening" and then blasts into the chorus screamer again. This song is definitely a catchy one. And then halfway through the song, we get some industrial, mixed, "New Divide breakdown"-like electric guitar chords. With Chester going crazy, sort of, and it's all mixed together and chopped up. Good to know DJ Hahn is still involved. And then, of course, new-age Linkin Park makes it quiet and soft as Mike sings about colors and looking to the sky or something. But then it picks up with those chords again... and it all seems okay when the beat and Chester join in. This song will be great live, and is easily a staple Linkin Park song. Let's go to the next song with high hopes. Crap, another dialogue song. Wait... no, not a dialogue track, just a small intro into the song. "Wretches and Kings," which a few people have already heard. It starts similar to "When They Come for Me," but a little more... mixed, low, and beat-heavy. Good, Mike's rapping again. I missed that. And not the pussy-rapping in "Hands Held High." [DISCLAIMER: I like that song, I'm not dissing it] So then it breaks down a bit before the chorus so it can build up, and then Chester brings in the chorus, which... I don't care for really. Not very catchy, meh, whatever. But the verses are good. So there's another one of those, and a chorus, and a breakdown. Cool. Oh, record scratching! Finally! Missed that too! And so the song ends. Next track, "Wisdom, Justice, and Love." Man, this'll be a cheesy song. Wait. Not a song. It's dialogue. But the speech gets distorted... and creepy... and robot-like... And it's actually kinda cool, backed up by some piano chords. And we go into "Iridescent." Piano intro, slow, cheesy-sounding. Mike is singing quietly, and it's... actually sort of cool. It's nothing like Linkin Park, [or old LP], but it's very atmospheric and... nice. Chester joins in, with his very powerful voice. This song is really an upbeat song about not being afraid or something, or being happy... well, the music communicates it. It's fairly Minutes-to-Midnight like. And halfway through the song we get a true crowd-singing bridge, with... well, a crowd singing. And then it explodes into the chorus, a big sing-along fest... and I really want to see them just so I can join in, no matter how different it is. They've hit something that works. Next track. "Fallout." Starts with some ambience, with some vocals [extremely robotic at first] with lines from "Burning in the Sky" that get less distorted, and it fades off after a minute, into... "The Catalyst." I don't care what anyone says, this song is great in my opinion. It's got tons of energy, and is a very angry song. When it explodes, I just wanted to run around and scream. It could've done with a heavy guitar riff, yeah, but the synths still do a good job, and the build-up is great. The second half, [which is the "My December" chord progression. Try to get that out of your head now.] is great as well. Just a good song, a good choice for a first single. Acoustic guitar? Linkin Park? What? "The Messenger," eh? Better be a good message. Let's try it, it's only 3 minutes anyway. So it's Chester singing... very powerfully. Man, he can scream. Dang, man. He's SCREAMING at times on top of an acoustic and piano, and that's it. In the major scale, no less... Not much to the song. Just a great, powerful, emotional song. A nice closer, really, but... it doesn't fit the rest of the album, really. So the sound has gone from at times even more experimental than Minutes to Midnight, to exactly the same as Minutes to Midnight, to almost Meteora-esque, to... well... if you're familiar with Linkin Park's pre-Hybrid Theory stuff, Xero, well... Some of it actually sounds like that. Namely, "When They Come for Me" and "Wretches and Kings," the extremely heavy, industrial, electronic sound. Really, I'm impressed, I really am. I came away pleasantly surprised.

Lyrics — 8
Hoo boy. Okay. Well... As we know, Linkin Park has gotten fairly political lately, and that has not changed. Much of these lyrics are about quite political and controversial topics, namely nuclear warfare and the like. But at no point does it seem overdone, really. And Mike bringing his REAL rapping [i.e. more badass] back into the mix is going to be well-received by fans, I'm sure. These song topics range from complete awesomeness and badassery ["When They Come for Me," "Wretches and Kings"] to, like I said, nuclear warfare ["Burning in the Skies"], to what seems to be as an insane internal struggle ["Blackout"]. Really, the lyrics are fine. I like when they write about personal anger, but I don't mind a little politics as long as it stays somewhat modest. Overall, the lyrics weren't too bad.

Overall Impression — 9
Well. I dunno how to put this, so I'm just gonna say it. I think Linkin Park is going to fully "make up for" [in some people's words] of Minutes to Midnight within a few years. The direction they've taken with this album is a good one. It's very clearly recognizing their earlier days, and while it could have embraced it and taken from it a little more than they did, it pleased me quite well. They can experiment, and I think they do everything well no matter what they do. I just hope that they'll keep doing what they've tapped into again on this record, which is that electronic and industrial stuff. Needless to say, I would indeed recommend this album. It lacks some meat, with only 8 or 9 "real" songs, but the ones that hit definitely hit. Minutes-to-Midnight haters should find a few minutes of solice on this album, even if they don't like the majority of it. A good effort by the Linkin Park guys, and a step in a good direction.

134 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Rawker8
    It seems everyone on here might as well be a record producer since you all seem to know exactly what to do right in the business! You guys all complain when a band sticks to a formula (e.g., Disturbed), and then right here you b**** and complain when a band strays from the formula that made them popular in the first place! Get over it! Grab a guitar, drums, a mic, and a bass guitar and let's see if it comes to be something that doesn't make one's ears bleed!
    Caboose911
    I love all these retards trolling this page. I would type more but I have to go to work so I can pay for your welfare checks.
    loz4
    Worst album ever!!!!! Where si the guitar and riffs, shit electro pop, SHIT ALbum.....
    cronux
    primus182 wrote: you want great music? you want real creativity, listen to radiohead ok computer and kid A
    no dude, listen to meshuggah but all in all...i think that linkin park sould be only 2 members, shinoda and chester...that's it, cause' what other members play on the record can be done by programs like fruty loops ect.
    eddynator
    do these guys get all their titles from iron maiden? like "minutes to midnight" iron maiden have a song called "2 minutes to midnight" now "a thousand suns" iron maiden have a song called "brighter than a thousand suns"
    TheChaz
    I actually like it. I never liked Linkin Park. I always thought they were obnoxious and un-inventive. I love how layered and lush the sound is. I'm not even listening to the lyrics really. I hear the vocals as another instrument that add to the ambiance of the album. I think it's their best album.
    Juanitoson
    I have only heard the one single off of this album, but i was extremely disappointed, i've never been a big LP fan, but i feel like they want to be TI or Lil Wayne or something with all the synthesis and shitty techno beats. (i don't mind techno)
    Chaduah
    Seems like UG doesnt have much love for change. I still fail to see how people can consider this album as poppy? Yeh its not f*cking nu metal anymore, tell me something new, but its definitely not conventional by any means. Tbh the only song thats REALLY that poppy on this album is "The Messenger," and thats completely different from anything LP has done... and the contrast between the vocals and instrumentation is really intriguing!
    rtdgamefan
    cjpm105 wrote: Just because it's not heavy does not mean it's pop. A good part of the songs don't even have clear choruses. It's one thing to review the album based on the fact that you listened to it and did not enjoy the music, but I'm guessing that the majority of people here just thought "lighter songs =/= old LP" and therefore it's bad without really giving the album a chance. I think it's their most well-crafted album yet, taking you from a mechanical, lifeless kind of world with electronic sounds and distorted, broken-up vocals to a more hopeful one with organic sounds and raw vocals which show themselves every once in a while in the music, and is culminated with the last song The Messenger.
    I agree. This album is art; beautifully crafted art. People always insult art because they can't comprehend it. Sorry that Chester and Mike aren't whining about love as much anymore. Sorry this music will appeal to adults and not middle school kids. It's a real shame...
    ahiddenmexican
    Asvarox wrote: I love how people rate the album not by it's content, but by the band that recorded it and/or the genre it represents. Neither user or review ratings matter anyway as it is you to decide whenever you like the album or not. Also, by far all records released by LP were somewhat commercial - back in 2000 nu-metal and stuff like Limp Bizkit was something everybody listened too. Buff, there we have Linkin Park! Same thing happened to MTM. What I love about Linkin Park is that they do what's popular know in much higher quality than other "artists" do. I'm quite certain that ATS isn't as commercial as previous records. PS. The reason behind less sales is that many people probably listened to it's leaked version or on myspace and just didn't like it.
    theoldwizard wrote: Forget the music, I can't get over how horrible that album cover is.
    +1 for each of you Asvarox hit the nail on the head. Everyone complains 'they need to go back to their roots, go back to their roots'. When HT came out, nu-metal was very financially viable. Linkin Park is a good band with talented people, but they've always done what was going to make them the most money. And yeah, the album cover sucks
    Smokinjoerules1
    oh wait i forgot, as soon as a band does summat different they sell out, how cud i possibly forget that, oh wait.... cos they don't, thers no such thing as a band 'selling-out', wot idiotic moron made that up, it doesnt even make sense wen u say a band has sold out, doesnt that mean they've done well, as in sold records? If not then i wont be paying attention to this phrase any longer, it has no meaning.
    Smokinjoerules1
    WCPhils wrote: There are about three ok songs on this album, the rest sound exactly the same. Major disappointment IMO. I'll give it a 2
    that was bold, the only two actal songs that sound anything alike is robot boy and burning in the skies, do u have ears that work?
    lostinflames
    listened to the album all the way thru. honestly sound as if its all building up to The Catalyst(which i really enjoy). Did NOT like the way interludes were done, go listen to Lostprophets' Start Something to hear effective interludes. The problem I seem to feel is they have just about totally abandoned the GUITAR! The riffs from hybrid theory weren't virtuous, but they were different and they worked...now its all piano and synth driven. I dont know if they are just relying on vocals too much but bring back the guitar PLEASE
    Oddsbodkins
    eddynator wrote: do these guys get all their titles from iron maiden? like "minutes to midnight" iron maiden have a song called "2 minutes to midnight" now "a thousand suns" iron maiden have a song called "brighter than a thousand suns"
    Yeah, was wondering this myself...
    JamesAutumn
    Goodness so much negativity. Facts : If some trip pop band made this album track for track people would be all over this like a fat kid on cake. If another band had the linkin park sound people would call them rip offs so wtf is wrong with you? My Opinion : Another chapter in the linkin park life and there playing what they want and how they want and they actually took a fans input on the catalyst if anyone remembers that contest. It's good it's not musically driven like previous efforts it's got more synth and dj then anything but hahn deserves to have a album like this where he can showcase his talents and mike and chester showcase their voices like never before as well and mike even gets to harmonize more and sound as impressive as chester. It's crazy how people are downing this lol i've seen alot of complaints on ug but this is in the top 3 of those. clearly 90 percent of you don't like the band as it is we really want your negative opinion[sarcasm anyone?] Anyone who has an open mind and likes that bands like linkin park will make money and want to step out into something else by all means review the album as whole and give us a opinion that helps us buy it or not don't say crap like the band is a sellout or stuff like that. sheesh..... ----James
    TisPyon
    jetfuel495 wrote: I think 90% of UG is still mentally prepubescent.
    +9000 I don't think I've ever read a more true statement on UG.
    13th.Gemina
    TisPyon wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: I think 90% of UG is still mentally prepubescent. +9000 I don't think I've ever read a more true statement on UG.
    This almost brought a tear to my eye. Speaking of things that make me laugh and cry, did anyone notice this ridiculousness in the second album review, by "unregistered"?:
    A Thousand Suns accomplishes a task that has not been seen recently in music: a solid, front to back, fluid, concept album.
    Hmmmm Coheed and Cambria anyone? They've done it on, hmmm let me think real hard... ALL OF THEIR ALBUMS . (and their 5 albums connect together to create a solid, front to back, fluid, conceptual story overall) I'm sure there are many music fans on this site that can name other recent concept albums as well. Silly reviewer. No wonder he/she/it didn't register.
    Mazz211
    KataklysmDeth wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: snow... wrote: I'm just saying when you compare review rating by the reviewers and what the users gave it. There's no correlation. It doesn't really make sense. The same holds true for every single deathcore album posted here. It's a matter of taste. Obviously the people who didn't like the album didn't review it. Make sense?midwesttrendkil wrote: am i the only sane person left in the world this album is terrible... wat happen to the first couple of albums? two words sell out's Fail. Selling out would be doing what everyone wants them to do so they could make more money. Everyone wants them to make music like their old stuff. If they went back to the Hybrid Theory style just to please you guys, then they'd be sellouts.EpiExplorer wrote: THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE MONEY AND LOSE FANS. Actually, it's made much less sales than M2M. So I guess it's not how you make money. So? They're bigger than Metallica now, shamefully.. They sold themselves along time ago ...I cannot BELIEVE you just said they are bigger then Metallica. They will NEVER be as big as Metallica. As AWESOME as Metallica or musically talented as Metallica. (Mostly James and Robert)You compare the fanbases and you will see that Metallica STILL owns the world. Metal Militia \m/
    Seriously, Linkin Park appeals to generally everyone pretty much, they have since Hybrid Theory, I even know Chavs who listen to Linkin Park, if I want around to everybody and asked do you like linkin park and then ask do you like metallica, most people would say "Who the **** are metallica".
    travislausch
    Still no one willing to introduce me to an album that sounds as similar to ATS as a lot of you like to claim? Come on, surely those of you with a more informed, eclectic and unbiased opinion than mine should have a vast record collection encompassing multiple genres of music and should be able to find me something similar!
    Smokinjoerules1
    Metallidethium wrote: travislausch : I have a distinct feeling that if this exact album were released by any other band, the reception of it would be a lot warmer. If this album were released by any other band, it might not even be on ultimate-guitar. You can't really say there is too much guitar going on here. But then again, Chester could shit into a mic, call it innovative and it'd go platinum.
    i cant believe u just wrote that lol, u obvs havnt a clue about music
    ColdHeartedHero
    This albums bullshit. This IS how you make money and lose fans. The music used to be emotional. and meaningful. now its pop-driven techno shit with weak-ass vocals over top and somewhat boring and repetitious rapping. This however appeals to a different audience hence more money comes in, AND this also loses fans who loved the good music they used to make. Thats how you make money and lose fans
    Amuro Jay
    TedZeppelin wrote: Jetfuel is a fag
    If refusing to jump on this new bandwagon makes me a fag, I'm Rob Halford.
    napalm890
    I listened to this album with an open mind, I actually don't mind Wretches and Kings and The Catalyst. But having said that, this album is really bad..
    Raven_Flight
    I think lot of you guys are understanding everything backwards... You are taking HT and Meteora as the tr00-est nu-metal albums ever made when they really are VERY radio-friendly. No doubt that is why we fell in love with them when we were teenagers. This is not step towards selling out, I think it is too much the opposite. M2M was a sellout record, those poppy singles were awful. Compare with "The catalyst", I'm really surprised on how much success got that song on MTV, when I first hear it I was like: "Wait... WTF is this?", then I understood what was going on. I really understood this album giving it a full listen, I wouldn't listen to "Iridescent" on its own but I love it when its time comes in record. Well I wrote too much, go-go old LP and new LP, f*** M2M
    rd93
    ColdHeartedHero wrote: This albums bullshit. This IS how you make money and lose fans. The music used to be emotional. and meaningful. now its pop-driven techno shit with weak-ass vocals over top and somewhat boring and repetitious rapping. This however appeals to a different audience hence more money comes in, AND this also loses fans who loved the good music they used to make. Thats how you make money and lose fans
    "Iridescent" and "The Messenger" aren't meaningful or emotional? "In the End" and "Numb" weren't pop-driven? They apparently have catchier melodies than anything on this album. "Blackout" and "Wretches and Kings" have weak vocals? And most rapping is somewhat repetitive; rappers usually focus more on rhythm and flow than melody. If they LOSE fans, how are they MAKING money? So far it seems like they are losing more fans than they are keeping or gaining. Just because different people happen to like it does not automatically mean it will bring in more money. Personally, I wouldn't compare this to their other albums, since it is so different and is meant to be listened to as a whole. But I do prefer this album to M2M, and I believe that "The Catalyst" and "The Messenger" are two of their best songs.
    Asvarox
    I love how people rate the album not by it's content, but by the band that recorded it and/or the genre it represents. Neither user or review ratings matter anyway as it is you to decide whenever you like the album or not. Also, by far all records released by LP were somewhat commercial - back in 2000 nu-metal and stuff like Limp Bizkit was something everybody listened too. Buff, there we have Linkin Park! Same thing happened to MTM. What I love about Linkin Park is that they do what's popular know in much higher quality than other "artists" do. I'm quite certain that ATS isn't as commercial as previous records. PS. The reason behind less sales is that many people probably listened to it's leaked version or on myspace and just didn't like it.
    RockInPeaceDime
    jetfuel495 wrote: travislausch wrote: snow... wrote: It's funny how reviews give it high and we give it a low rating. Seems to me they are being biased (or just massive fans of LP) or we are. Lol. I wouldn't say my review is biased, as I actually pretty much hated the band till this album came out. I took it for what it was without setting any expectations on it for being the band they are.Props. This man reviewed the album without any bias towards the album. Take that, snow.RockInPeaceDime wrote: It's reason it's bad isn't because it's not the "old Linkin Park." It's just genuinely bad, because it's not good. I mean...like amongst many other sadly terrible albums. It's just not good rofl..no other way to say it.You can't even pinpoint a solid reason as to why you don't like it. Judging by your name, you must like metal, or heavier music in general. Perhaps the album is good and you just don't like it? Ever thought of it that way?
    No, it's just not good. They're still great artists and musicians...but you don't put a scream track over techno. It sounds ridiculous.
    Regression
    EpiExplorer wrote: THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE MONEY AND LOSE FANS.
    I'm curious here. How do you make money by losing fans? Anyone who wishes to call them sell-outs, may I remind you that Hybrid Theory has sold over 25 million copies. It is the 26th best selling album of all time. It seems to me that it was vastly more popular than any of the following albums. Which part of it was them selling out? The part where they changed their formula despite having found one which had proven to be extremely popular?
    Eurasian_C
    An an old school Linkin Park fan, I was kind of dismayed when they really made the push from their old sound in "Minutes to Midnight". When I first heard "Wretches and Kings", I was for the most part disgusted with the direction for THAT certain song because it just sounded a bit too forced in that certain direction. But then after reading some of the reviews on this page, I gave all the other songs a try, and I really have to say that this is actually very interesting. I mean I don't know how these songs will translate live and it won't be the same without the old school stage presence, but I figure it's something I can get used to.
    Jasonbts
    Just because it's softer than previous albums doesn't mean it's more "commercially viable". There is not really anything on this album that will get radio play, just because it's so different, and as you can see, not many people are liking this album. any fans want them to return to their HT and Meteora sound, but the band itself obviously doesn't want to. This records sales are absolutely nothing compared to the past three, especially HT. They knew this album wouldn't sell much, and they made it anyways. They've done the exact opposite of selling out, but it seems that if anyone stops liking a band, that's the term they use to describe them. Just because the band didn't do what you wanted them to do doesn't mean that they've sold out or aren't good anymore. Geez, if you want their old sound so bad, start your own band. Also, dedicating 2 years in the studio isn't a very good money maker either. They spent 2 YEARS of their lives to make this record. If they really were making this just for money, I don't think they would have gone through all this. Watch the making-of on Hulu. You'll see what they put into this. http://www.hulu.com/watch/176970/linkin-... g-of-a-thousand-suns#s-p1-sr-i0
    KataklysmDeth
    slipknot_420 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: snow... wrote: I'm just saying when you compare review rating by the reviewers and what the users gave it. There's no correlation. It doesn't really make sense. The same holds true for every single deathcore album posted here. It's a matter of taste. Obviously the people who didn't like the album didn't review it. Make sense?midwesttrendkil wrote: am i the only sane person left in the world this album is terrible... wat happen to the first couple of albums? two words sell out's Fail. Selling out would be doing what everyone wants them to do so they could make more money. Everyone wants them to make music like their old stuff. If they went back to the Hybrid Theory style just to please you guys, then they'd be sellouts.EpiExplorer wrote: THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE MONEY AND LOSE FANS. Actually, it's made much less sales than M2M. So I guess it's not how you make money. So? They're bigger than Metallica now, shamefully.. They sold themselves along time ago
    ...I cannot BELIEVE you just said they are bigger then Metallica. They will NEVER be as big as Metallica. As AWESOME as Metallica or musically talented as Metallica. (Mostly James and Robert)You compare the fanbases and you will see that Metallica STILL owns the world. Metal Militia \m/
    KataklysmDeth
    Raven_Flight wrote: Best LP album Nice rewiew, nice to see that some people agree in that this album is not very radio-friendly. Seriously I want to pug everytime I hear "Leave out all the rest" or "The shadow of the day"... this album is really something different.
    WHAT????? BLASPHEMY!!! Nothing beats Meteora. Ever.
    =McS=
    I am a big supporter of bands moving in different directions and evolving their styles, trying new things. Because everyone always pidgeonholes a band into one genre and then when they leave that genre everyone throws a huge tantrum. It's not your band, you don't decide what they do. If you don't like it, then too bad you don't have to listen to it. That being said, I love the new album. Sure, I wish it had more guitars but the more I listen to it the more I like it. It's fun to sing along to and has some good beats.
    Richardbs
    Of course it's not the 'old' Linkin Park. I sure as hell don't want another Nickleback-kind of band and play the same music every album. I appreciate Linkin Park's work because they're trying something different. Of COURSE they're going to get bad ratings on Ultimate-Guitar. This site is full of heavy metal lovers, (just look at all the comments that compare Linkin Park to other bands. The other bands are always heavy bands). I personally love all music, (excluding Oprah), and enjoyed this album fully. It was worth the money because I like the rapping, the singing, the screaming, the piano playing, the beats, the random sounds being injected into the songs that caught me off guard, etc. If you like blending techno, rapping, singing, and some screaming, with the occasional surprise, this album is for you.
    RockInPeaceDime
    jetfuel495 wrote: travislausch wrote: snow... wrote: It's funny how reviews give it high and we give it a low rating. Seems to me they are being biased (or just massive fans of LP) or we are. Lol. I wouldn't say my review is biased, as I actually pretty much hated the band till this album came out. I took it for what it was without setting any expectations on it for being the band they are.Props. This man reviewed the album without any bias towards the album. Take that, snow.RockInPeaceDime wrote: It's reason it's bad isn't because it's not the "old Linkin Park." It's just genuinely bad, because it's not good. I mean...like amongst many other sadly terrible albums. It's just not good rofl..no other way to say it.You can't even pinpoint a solid reason as to why you don't like it. Judging by your name, you must like metal, or heavier music in general. Perhaps the album is good and you just don't like it? Ever thought of it that way?
    And of course, for the record, avoid pigeonholing people into corners based on a simple account name. I've listened to Linkin Park since I was young and I've given all their material a chance. I still listen to much of their older material. I don't dislike this album because it's not the "old Linkin Park;" I think it's crap because it's bland, pop-oriented, and frankly I don't like it (gasp, I know that's illegal here). I'm a fan of metal, obviously...I'm also a fan of hip hop, reggae, blues, classic rock, classical music, some country, etc. What's your point? That has no relevance on what I think of the album. It certainly can't be determined simply by looking at my account name -- is that really what you fall back on when somebody doesn't bow down to how you feel or think?
    Jasonbts
    And goodness people, stop complaining about the 5 short tracks. 10 songs is an average sized album.
    harrybps
    This album is as good as Chris Cornels Scream....So in other words ive heard better noise coming from my my cars gear box when i forget the clutch..
    pandora_grunt
    Like the album, though it never really takes off. WHich is a shame. Won't judge them for changing up their style. As I recall they still play some old skool stuff live though I am not sure these days. Besides, they even changed their logo. best they could do without changing the name if you start to go this offtrack compared to your old stuff?
    smartflight
    Amazing album! Love it Been a fan of the band for 4 years and heard all their stuff! (yes, I love HT and Meteora too!! But ATS is better)