A Thousand Suns review by Linkin Park

• Released: Sep 10, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Linkin Park: A Thousand Suns

Wow...just wow...this album is...different to say the least. This album does build on itself as a concept album...but why? If you love concept albums I suppose this is a good thing. Stylistically...AVA meets the gorillaz in a way 'I'm not to happy about unfortunately. Its as if there trying to fuse their old sound with MtM and it just leaves you feeling like theres not enough there, and alienates fans of both. I get layers and textures and music but...this is taking it to far. AvA has it covered guys.

Lyrics I'll give to them. On their own, the lyrics read like poetry in a time where lyrics are almost an afterthought. They do work with the music. They do work with the time's we're in, but it's as if LP has become detatched, viewing everything from a third person prespective, instead of as it happened to them. Very melodramatic though... I get stuff sucks, but come on guys. Grow up and do something about it. Thats what their lyrics make me feel about the LP. a 7. They we're well written.

Does it compare to other albums? No. Not at all. If MtM was an equivlent to the black album, then this is load and ReLoad. A couple tracks caught my attention, namely waiting for the End, and Blackout. It was new, and they worked well as songs. But overall this is not an album that holds much replay value for me. Guitar wise...very experimental...but experimental isn't always good. Look at where experimental has taken the "core" scene. Its become a dull blur of noise. To LP i say take a step back. Stop trying to immitate old stadium bands. Its already being covered...and your not bringing alot to the scene unfortuanetly. A six. Because while its new to them...its not that good.

soulxstlr
    Now it's more like LP is thinking "Fxck it, lets just throw darts at the genre dart-board and see what we get... What's this? Electro-rock/pop? Why not?" Linkin Park doesn't care anymore.
    Richardbs
    This 47 minute long song wasn't meant to be taken as a regular album release. Sadly all the people are are judging like it is. Just because they don't use guitars on every single track, (they're not really tracks, just parts of one long song), doesn't mean they've went 'mainstream' or whatever it is you think is bad in the world. It's like... taboo to be on the radio now. It confuses me why people hate the radio so much. When you turn the radio on you want to hear good music, yet according to all the 'hardcore know-it-all' music fans think it's wrong for good music to be on the radio. I bet well over 75% of the people that bash this long track, has yet to even listen to all of it. FYI: There is a guitar in quite a few of the pieces of the song, it's just heavily modified.
    AnarchyBlessing
    I decided to take the advice of a previous commenter and went to the Billboard Pop charts. I was shocked (completely taken aback) to find out that The Catalyst wasn't on the chart. Surely, I thought, the persona who had assured me that the Catalyst would be on this list hadn't just been blowing smoke out of their asses. I double checked, triple checked, hell I even went as far as checking other lesser known chart websites. No pop nods. Then I began to think: is it possible that, while you may hate this song, it is not pop? Semantics I am sure. Maybe you define this as a "pop" song, but before you proceed to insert your foot into your mouth, do everyone a favor and CHECK what you are saying. If you had taken the time to CHECK Billboard, you would have noticed that The Catalyst (whether you agree or not) is on the ROCK charts. This song, like many Linkin Park songs, tends to fall under the vast umbrella of ALTERNATIVE ROCK. http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/linkin... 5 Seriously, learn to fact check. Just because you may hear a song on a station that plays pop songs does not automatically make it a pop song. It is a strong indicator of the popularity of the song to the mainstream fanbase, and one could preclude that the song may have more pop-oriented intonations and roots, but let's be honest here: I can switch to so-called rock stations and hear crappy ballads that could easily make it to pop stations, yet are considered rock. In conclusion: keep your foot in your mouth, because otherwise you might start spouting incorrect opinions posing as facts.
    klynch
    I didn't like this album at first. After giving it a second chance I'm absolutely in love with this album. "Wretches and Kings" as well as "Waiting for the End" are awesome songs! 9/10
    Betzefer
    GiveItAll wrote: are u retarded betzefer? The stuff on HT and more specifically Meteora topped the charts for a long, long time. Back in the day, nu metal was "cool". They were VERY radio friendly, they were definitely played less since MTM That being said, this album is a LOT less pop than their older album, I can't even believe The Catalyst is doing so well, imo its a good song but it lacks the ordinary rock structure and does not have a clear genre, and the explanation I have for this is LP's name power (for example, if some random band released Burning in the Skies or Robot Boy, I strongly believe no one would give half a sh1t about it). I mean they made a freaking concept record and its topping the charts, who does that? Lol remember AFI? They tried that (their concept album was incredibly deep if you ventured into it), and failed with Sing the Sorrow.
    Dude, BACK IN THE DAY and by that I mean 2001, Hybrid Theory would play on Rock/Metal radio stations, the fact that Nu-metal was cool didn't mean that you could turn on your average pop station and get One Step Closer playing, I know it because I've seen it, that's when I started listening to LP, almost 10 years ago and it wasn't because I've heard them on the radio. Are you familiar with Billboard? well, when a song peaks at No.1 on the Billboard Rock Charts, it would still play less on the radio than, let's say, No. 20 on the pop charts, because that's just the way it is and therefore, LP topping charts back in 2001 did not make them radio friendly. Now feel free to go to the POP charts and I assure you, you will see The Catalyst, that's something that never happened before with LP, maybe a little bit with In The End or Numb but they were songs that didn't sound much like the rest of the album, unlike the new one which is basically an album of "Catalysts".
    GiveItAll
    Betzefer
    Jasonbts wrote: Betzefer wrote: The debate on wether they sold out or not can last forever but here's the bottom line: This album is more radio-friendly, more pop-oriented, more "Danceable", more appealing to 9 year old girls and less apealing to metalheads. The so called politically charged nature of this album is served as a distraction from what it really is - just another brick in the MTV wall. So clearly the only two groups of music are pop and metal. This album ISN'T radio-friendly by any means. Just because it's soft doesn't make it radio-friendly.
    I have no idea how you managed to get that impression out of what I've just said. I myself play in a Blues trio so I am very well aware of the fact that OTHER genres exist. HOWEVER, Linkin Park started out as a Metal band, that's a fact. NOWDAYS they play POP, that's another fact. POP = POPULAR, and they play Electro/Synth/Dance bullshit that is considered popular today, THEREFORE, they play POP. Pop is NOT A GENRE BY ITSELF, it is defined out of what is popular TODAY and therefore if you choose to play what's popular today, you choose to play POP music. P.S - If it's "not radio friendly by any means" how come it PLAYS ON THE RADIO ALL OF THE TIME, unlike early LP records? very interesting.
    minusxero
    As a side note, I'd like to note a correction in the first review. The vocals on Fallout are of Mike Shinoda, not Chester. In fact, Mike sings quite a bit on this album, which is surprising. He sings The Requiem (via vocoder), the verses of Burning in the Skies, the end vocals of Blackout, the verses of Iridescent, and the verse/bridge intro (the initial 'lift me up/let me go') of The Catalyst. Quite a feat for a guy who started off rapping.
    Msu_Man04
    cloudscream wrote: Some will always lazily claim that a band has gone pop or sold out. As far as I know, selling out means compromising the integrity of your band/music in exchange for money or popularity. Never before has this claim been so absurd. This is the opposite of a sell out album; dont let anyone tell you otherwise. If money and popularity was the goal, the safe bet would be to try to make Hybrid Theory again. http://mikeshinoda.com/2010/09/27/haters... -the-converted-a-thousand-suns-album-release/
    Great note from Shinoda, I love him. Only thing is, even I know that some people just... won't like it. It can't be helped.
    Jasonbts
    cortes239 wrote: Uh are you stupid? I hear LP on the radio more than ever now. And it isn't because of their old stuff. They are mainstream. Another band thinking the more stuff they sell, the more they will be remembered. But will only be remembered as sell outs. Nice fail LP. You aren't original by trying something new. You are just creating what is 'in'.
    Have you listened to The Catalyst? How on earth does it resemble Lady Gaga, or Katy Perry, or Justin Bieber, or Taio Cruz...? Regardless of radio-play (I suppose I can only speak for my city) this album is far from radio-friendly. Btw, record companies pay a shiny-penny to have songs that are released under their label get radio time... Something to think about.
    cloudscream
    The Crane
    travislausch wrote: Anyone who says this isn't an unique album, please, enlighten me as to which CDs in your obviously eclectic and varied and open-minded collections sound strikingly similar to this one. I'm genuinely being honest here. I'd really, really like to know at least one album that sounds the same as this, from a purely objective, unbiased standpoint.
    sounds a bit like the LP tried to do a "kid A" tbh. i don't mind the new album but as others have said i feel like its lacking a bit of an emotional impact and a bit of polish. Some of the tracks almost feel a bit unfinished. its not the worst LP album, but not the best either (still Hybrid Theory IMO)
    lpxerolp
    for everyone not giving into apples monopoly of music. open the the little lyrics book and read the first line. "we were not making an album". Linkin Park went deep. real deep. deeper than anyone would normaly go. face it, music is art. this is quite possibly the best piece of artwork created by a band in a very long time. it may not be heavy like hybrid theory but it wasnt suppost to be. get it through your heads. LP forever!
    biscuitiis.k
    the only AWESOME song is wretches and kings! so NIN like and so awesome!!!...the rest kind sucks I guess...
    cortes239
    cortes239
    One question...Why is this article up? You would think people on a guitar site would know good music. LP is ****ing gay to say the least. Any half a meatball can listen to old LP and new LP and see what I'm talking about. I'm starting to wonder if LP's new stuff even has guitar in it. They went all digital and mainstream.
    bokma
    I understand why people hate on the haters. But LP has definitely got to be doing something wrong with this many people hating on the album.
    David34343
    cronux wrote: but all in all...i think that linkin park sould be only 2 members, shinoda and chester...that's it, cause' what other members play on the record can be done by programs like fruty loops ect.
    dude no plugin for any program can ever replace the real thing. FL Studio has tons of guitar plugins but none of them even come close to the real thing. plus LP uses Pro Tools.
    Raven_Flight 9 year old girls listening to "The Catalyst"? They would probably think its the worst song ever.
    lol no worries about 9 year old girls. THe industry has already hooked them with Justin Gayber
    Rawker8
    And to the guy who said to get rid of Chester Bennington: Clearly you can't hear talent. This guy has range that no one can touch in music today.
    Rawker8
    All you guys complaining about this record: Listen to the words to "When They Come for Me". They wanna do something different regardless of whether you like it or not. That takes guts and I've come to respect these guys for that.
    Raven_Flight
    LP itself is radio-friendly, otherwise they wouldn't have the success they have. This album is just a step towards being non-commercial. Seriously, 9 year old girls listening to "The Catalyst"? They would probably think its the worst song ever.
    Jasonbts
    Smokinjoerules1
    I can see a lot of people don't like this album, even hate it in some cases. Well, to each and their own, everyone can have an opinion neither right nor wrong, but at the end of the day, this album is very interesting to listen to, it just makes me wonder why people were so surprised when the album turned out the way it did, they said it's like nothing they've ever written and yet some people still whined "OMG it's nothing like their old stuff that means it's shite!" well tough, listen to their old stuff but don't bring ur whining here.
    nailsarecruel
    The first review pissed me off so much I just KNOW it's that Amy person responsible for it. The only way I'd ever be interested in a Linkin Park album is if they made instrumental rereleases and photoshop that anemic embarassment of a lead singer from the related artwork. They create a decent atmosphere, but I can do without chester's angsty concentration camp survivor antics.
    ErD
    album is pathetic...even worst than the last one...and i use to think that was bad...
    Smokinjoerules1
    The songs "When they come for me" and "Wretches and Kings" wud make up for the record being terrible if it was, because they are 2 of the best songs LP has ever written along with "Numb", "Crawling", Easier to run" and "Hands Held High". But thankfully the record aint terrible. However I do think LP shud release a more upbeat album next with more songs like those to regain some of their fans, otherwise they're gonna dig themselves a grave bigger than Susan Boyle's anus...