A Thousand Suns review by Linkin Park

• Released: Sep 10, 2010
Linkin Park: A Thousand Suns

One of the greatest challenges in the music scene today is to create your own genre and create it with passion. Linkin Park has proved as an elite force in the art of combining rock and hip-hop, along with electronic tones that adhere two different styles mutually. After much commercial success, the band decided it was time to move on and with their fourth and newest album, they seem to have found their footing to progress in this direction. This album, while built around solemn subject matter but electronic fast-paced tracks, revolutionizes modern rock with sweet raw and organic resonance with every song. While keeping the electronic elements persistent, the band has successfully once again made a piece or art with such dexterity, and well crafted song-writing, not only composed but crafted as well. The album secretes a pure almost heavenly sound that leaves you in a trance-like-state that you can't just seem to snap out of. Each track, so precisely mastered and produced, stands out and stands together. Rick Rubin once again tackled the challenge to produce a unique blend of both ambient and compressed sounds and he does this with poise and in the end, is triumphant. "When it came to doing things that felt very much like older Linkin Park, like mixing hip-hop with a rock chorus, [we] felt like, if we were going to do it, we need to really do it in a way that felt natural and felt original and felt like it was something we hadn't done in the past," says lead singer Chester Bennington. He goes on to describe the album has, less technical and more organic.

Unlike past albums, A Thousand Suns, is more political than personal. Unlike the usual lyrics of hate, contempt and resentment, the band speaks out against the problems within American society and within the government, going as far to distorting Martin Luther King Jr.'s voice on Wisdom, Justice and Love, a true anthem. Not every raw rock album must be distorted, especially one by Linkin Park as it would be expected. Iridescent, shows to be a still song with a U2 anthem quality to it even credited with crescendos into a soft piano pressing along, a truly beautiful hymn composed with such elegance and raw emotion. This move from rap-metal to more melodic song structures with cinematic effects holds true to the bands original sound along with allowing new fans to come and embrace the heart-pounding paced tracks, a true blend of electronic beats and hearty hip-hop influences such as When They Come For Me.

If you are a looking for a new original sound, but aren't threatened by seeing a number one billboard song on an album this is made for you. Loaded with anthems, ballads and just pure techno-rock, this truly makes its mark in rock n' roll and shows no hesitation of backing down anytime soon. Rock will soon make its way to revolve around Linkin Park's original style using synthesizers and heavy guitar power chords, but no one will quite pull it off quite like Linkin Park does so eloquently.

KoK_Guitarist
    EpiExplorer wrote: THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE MONEY AND LOSE FANS.
    Yep and thats what happend when they first released thier debut album.I thought they were cool at first until the i noticed they had 2 singers ( a screamer and a rapper) thats when i felt i was ripped off. I remember a friend of mine was listening to that album and after the first song, he stopped playing,handed to me and said, "i bought this earlier today but you can have it". I realized how shitty this band turned out. i can't believe they're still standing after all that.