A Thousand Suns review by Linkin Park

• Released: Sep 10, 2010
Linkin Park: A Thousand Suns

Linkin Park have an incredible story behind them, and despite the extreme differences heard in A Thousand Suns, a true music fan must appreciate the musical techniques, developments and passion put behind this album. The members of Linkin Park have proven to be very instrumentally talented but as shown more significantly on this album; they are extremely gifted behind a computer screen. Despite the record being very technologically based the sound is very powerful and raw, whether it is the clean, moving sound of the piano in 'Iridescent' or the striking, pounding synth pads in 'When They Come for Me.'

Linkin Park have not changed their lyrical styles but are portraying them in different ways. In A Thousand Suns you will still find lyrics of hopelessness, anger and passion that were seen in earlier albums. The band took a turn for the surprising by including love as a theme in some of the songs, and Chester Bennington manages to pull them off with his unique voice and lyrical skills which have been evidently pushed to the max in all of his albums. Despite the changes, Linkin Park's lyrics in A Thousand Suns are haunting, inspiring and challenging.

This is an exceptional album because of the progression behind it and the breaking of boundaries. A Thousand Suns was interestingly compared to Radiohead's Kid A as an album when it was released, because of the stylistic changes. Admittedly, some songs seem to be present for filler purposes but their sound is still beautiful and the power of the other songs on the album makes up for this. The song 'The Radiance' is a particularly powerful song even though it is not a main song on the album. The musical exploration that went behind the making of this album is incredible and can be heard clearly, the negative attitudes are mainly from fans who miss the days of Hybrid Theory. On that note I would say, if you can only buy one Linkin Park album; choose Hybrid Theory. But if you are a music fan looking for depth and insight and passion in an album, buy A Thousand Suns.

AxDxTxR
    You all have to grow up. Linkin Park never dies, and honsetly every band has to grow up eventually. This is a little bit more mainstream...but come on, seriously? Stop hating on one of the most sucessful bands ever. This album tells a apocolyptic story. IT HAS MEANING TO IT! Unlike some other artists who just put out albums to make some cash. This is quite an achievment for most bands nowadays. Linkin Park wanted to reachout to a bigger fan base. The effect of that was a crapload of sold out shows in which they played songs from all their albums. Hybrid Theory and Minutes to Midnight are my favorite albums by far. Meteora was alright for me, besides the fact that it did have a crap load of techno...which leads me to this. You guys think that this is crappy due to all the techno in it. These guys have had techno and a dj (Mr.Joe Hahn) since their EP before Hybrid Theory even came out. So that point is invalid. The guitar (or lack there of) is pitiful however. I think Brad was turned off by it. And being a guitarist myself, I was dissapointed in that perspective. The bass also could have used some work. The vocals, raps, drums, and tech is this album is outstanding, and not horrible. They are maturing, and i enjoyed this album 100%. I wouldn't mind another album like this, but like most of you, I am awaiting a Hybrid Theory part 2. Feel free to comment
    edenstalrhythm
    Hybrid is, of course, their best album, but A Thousand Suns has really grown on me the last couple of months, f'kin love it!
    Explorer939
    Disappointing. I expected something heavy a lot like HT or Meteora, but no. Linkin park seem to be going down the wrong path
    sam9tremblay
    It's a great album with good original and musical efforts but this record doesn't represent what i liked about Linkin Park .
    zeroking
    not as good as the songs they did before..maybe they are trying to do some new stuff,which i don't think is successful
    the_skiv
    the worst album iv heard in ages.. i wish i could get my money back.. electro pop shit