Hybrid Theory review by Linkin Park

• Released: Oct 24, 2000
Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory

Linkin park is a great band, and this is by far their best CD. Instead of describing the sound as a whole (that would be virtually imposible, because every song is so unique), I'll describe each song individually. 01. Papercut - hip-hop style verses with really cool background music, and a hard rock chorus. (rap-rock) 9/10 02. One Step Closer - decent, but not really representative of the real style of LP. (Fastish hard rock) 7/10 03. With You - the worst rap-rock song on the CD, but still pretty good (rap-rock) 8/10 04. Points Of Authority - the CD's best pure-rock style song. Aggressive, angry and almost punky. (Grungish rock) 9/10 05. Crawling - my least favorite song on the CD, too slow, the verses are too quiet, but the chorus is good. (Pure hard rock) 6/10 06. Runaway - another generic rock song, but this one is less aggressive and more melodic. (Softer hard rock, but with some screaming) 7/10 07. By Myself - my favorite song on the CD, decent rap verses with a very heavy, screaming chorus and bridge. (rap-metal, but not much rap) 10/10 08. In The End - almost entirely hip-hop (and the quietest song on the CD). Deserving of the legendary status it's achieved. (rap with some rock) 9/10 09. Place For My Head - the best rapping on Hybrid Theory, followed by a fittingly angry chorus and a screaming ending. (rap-rock) 10/10 10. Forgotten - starts with a bang, and never gets boring. (Pretty melodic metal w/some rap) 9/10 11. Cure For The Itch - very skillfull, all-mixing song that is my favorite instrumental of all time, but it drags on a bit. (techno-style instrumental) 8/10 12. Pushing Me Away boring, too quiet song that is a sub-par end for a great album. (slow, quiet rock) 6/10

Unfortuantely, the lyrics don't match the sound. They all have the same message: "I hate you, I hate life, shut up, go away!" Anyone who said that they have deep meaning of hidden messages is lying. On the other hand, the vocals are very good. Mike is a decent rapper, but Chester is an incredible singer who can be soothing and melodic or loud and screaming but still in-key. They go together well as a team.

Overall Hybrid Theory is an excellent album for an excellent band. No two songs sound alike, and the whole CD is an experience. By all means, please buy it.