Hybrid Theory review by Linkin Park

• Released: Oct 24, 2000
Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory

The Hybrid Theory EP, Linkin Park's rare and almost unfindable debut CD, is a solid rap-rock album. It is rawer and much more low-budget than their other CDs (there is no voice overlapping). I would actually describe the sound as a whole as Run DMC meets Korn. I'll review each song seperately: 01. Carousel - good, emotional rap verses with a decent and very heavy chorus, great lyrics - 8/10. 02. Technique - decent turntable instrumental, but way too short to be memorable - 7/10. 03. Step Up - my favorite LP song ever; good rap with the catchiest chorus ever - 10/10. 04. And One - intense rock, but overall not too memorable; it actually reminds me of "Freak On A Leash" by Korn - 7.5/10. 05. High Voltage - catchy, mellow all hip-hop song with a cool chorus - 8/10. 06. Part Of Me - Mike's best rapping with a decent chorus; my second varorite song on the album - 9/10.

The lyrics on this EP are actually much better than the other LP CDs. Instead of just talking about being alone or hated, they deal with a variety of subjests, like drug addiction and suicide. The two all hip-hop songs are both trash talking, self-praising stuff, but they're still good lyrics. However, the fact that this CD has no voice overlapping, Mike often gets off-beat because he has to breathe in between lines. Also, Chester, who is the voice of LP, is severely underused on this EP, and there is NONE of his signature screaming.

Overall, this album is worth any LP fan's while. Note that it is very hard to find, and only a few copies exist (I just downloaded it off of pushmeaway.com). It's different, but is still very good.