Living Things review by Linkin Park

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jun 26, 2012
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 6.5 (284 votes)
Linkin Park: Living Things
0

Sound — 10
Linkin Park's music and sound has evolved greatly from when they started off as "Hybrid Theory", but now with this new record I think they have mixed "Hybrid Theory"/"Meteora" and "Minutes To Midnight"/"A Thousand Suns", and it works amazingly all throughout the record.

Lyrics — 8
The lyrics were great and stand out a lot in some tracks. For "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" a lot of the themes seemed to get similar and they started to get recycled. I like how they varied the theme a bit in "Minutes To Midnight" and maybe it was a bit too excessive in "A Thousand Suns". But in "Living Things" they had a mix of the personal stories and also a few political themes. In my opinion, "Roads Untraveled" and "I'll Be Gone" have the best lyrics on the record. The lyrics has always gone very well with the music since "Hybrid Theory" but in this album they seemed to go especially well. In "Living Things", there was a lot of Mike and there was a lot of harmonizing between Chester and Mike and it worked very well. Mike's rapping was spot on with the mood even though I miss the low charismatic short interludes of rap like in "From The Inside" or "Numb". Chester's vocals in this one in my opinion are the best, his vocals have gotten better and better since "Hybrid Theory", he can sing great clear choruses like in "Roads Untraveled", add the perfect amount of rust like in "I'll Be Gone" or "Lost In The Echo" or just full out scream like in "Victimized". And when they harmonized the lyrics, it added a depth that wasn't captured in "A Thousand Suns".

Overall Impression — 9
In my opinion it is a very solid record that had a perfect mix between the old and the new. However I think you will only really love this record if you have learned to accept the changes from "Minutes To Midnight" and "A Thousand Suns". There were a few songs that were really great from the start like "I'll Be Gone", "Lost In The Echo", "In My Remains", "Until It Breaks", "Roads Untraveled". And there a few that had to grow on me like "Victimized". But now "Victimized" has become one of my favourites on the record. I loved the rap in "Victimized", the scream with the electronics in "Lost In The Echo", and the mellowness of "Roads Untraveled". I also loved how they mixed the feel of "A Thousand Suns" but kept the style of "Meteora"/"Minutes To Midnight". I hate how short it is however. 38 minutes? -_-. If it was stolen I'd cry and get a new one.

16 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Insomnia69
    I remember these guys really got me into heavier stuff (HT, Meteora, and even some of MTM), it's hard to believe what they've released recently. Whatever, I guess bands change over time.
    Countsluggo
    There's evolution and experimenting and growing as musicians with the times, age, and influences, and then there's abandoning the genre and all the people that made you famous in the first place. Sure the nu-metal bands for the most part were terrible, but linkin park were one of the exceptions. Great lyrics and songs. Always had an electronic element, but it was heavy and in your face. This is a electronic pop record. The guitar stands out on what 2 tracks? Its the exact same electronic drum beat for the first 4 songs. I gave it an honest listen and this is not for me. This to me is selling out or something. I guess after you've made a shit ton of money, who cares if your original fans still like you.
    Mark Roxx
    Decent album. Not much more, a lot better than ATS but of course they'll probably never top their first 3 records.
    CommanderMeaty
    rofl that's the reason I don't see them live, the guitarist looks like he's playing a heavy riff but you don't hear shit in fact.
    InfernalFender
    Smokinjoerules1 wrote: InfernalFender wrote: I thought it was a decent at best album, and that's coming from someone who loved A Thousand Suns. There are a few great tracks, such as the opener and "Powerless"; but the rest are mostly forgettable. I enjoyed ATS because, to me, it seemed like a concept album that was mastered beautifully and flowed together like a story (except for The Messenger, horribly out-of-place song). Living Things, however, feels too disjointed and uninspired for me to enjoy. Even the heavier track, "Victimized", sounds like a crappy attempt at giving some energy to the record. The "metal cymbals" were laughable. Overall, massively disappointed fan; especially with the expectations I had after the quality of ATS and the talk of this album having a Meteora vibe.I did have a Meteora vibe...awkward :/
    Awkward for you, because it doesn't.
    op4blushift
    Why do people here have such a big problem with electronic music and the use of electronic/computer generated instruments? I know that it is a guitar site, but if your judging music by what instruments it has and not how it actually sounds, I really don't know what to say.. but on topic, I've only listened to it once but it sounds pretty decent. I prefer the 2nd half of the album though, seems a little more like ATS, which is still my favourite album from them.
    InfernalFender
    I thought it was a decent at best album, and that's coming from someone who loved A Thousand Suns . There are a few great tracks, such as the opener and "Powerless"; but the rest are mostly forgettable. I enjoyed ATS because, to me, it seemed like a concept album that was mastered beautifully and flowed together like a story (except for The Messenger, horribly out-of-place song). Living Things , however, feels too disjointed and uninspired for me to enjoy. Even the heavier track, "Victimized", sounds like a crappy attempt at giving some energy to the record. The "metal cymbals" were laughable. Overall, massively disappointed fan; especially with the expectations I had after the quality of ATS and the talk of this album having a Meteora vibe.
    DaniArrow
    i liked the first 3 albums. emotional metal or heavy rock songs, the balladso on minutes to midnight where great too. this new one to me sounds like a mix of nickelback and techno and doesn't move or do anything at all for me.
    Kueller917
    Insomnia69 wrote: I remember these guys really got me into heavier stuff (HT, Meteora, and even some of MTM), it's hard to believe what they've released recently. Whatever, I guess bands change over time.
    Honestly I think this album (as a whole) is heavier or at least more energetic than their last 2 releases.
    Nathy137
    BwareDWare94 wrote: dakielster wrote: Nathy137 wrote: Whatever I really like this album, I've liked all of linkin parks albums, obviously the first 2 were better but this is still awesome, it's funny how putting a bit of electronics into a song and people on this site hate it so much, all of the songs feature guitars and are very easily audible but I'm not having ago at people that's just my opinion..... better prepare myself from the flaming I'll be getting soon ahaa It's easy to hate because it sucks. If this sucks, so do Hybrid Theory and Meteora. All of their albums are on the same level. The hatred for their past three is ENTIRELY rooted in their original work. Without HT and Meteora, we're talking about Minutes to Midnight, A Thousand Suns, and Living Things as great albums because our opinions wouldn't be so damn loyal to two mediocre nu metal albums. I'm sorry folks, but as a music fan who owns both of FLAW's albums, I have no issues pointing out just how bad HT and Meteora are compared to good nu metal.
    Fair enough man I do see your point Linkin Park will always be compared to HT and Meteora, but those albums is what first got me into Linkin Park just before Minutes to Midnight was released, so personally I couldn't understand all of the hate for these later albums, but I do understand what you mean now.
    link no1
    There's evolution and experimenting and growing as musicians with the times, age, and influences, and then there's abandoning the genre and all the people that made you famous in the first place.
    Alot of the nu-metal bands from way back when are distancing themselves from the 'metal' side of the genre...Most of them probably didn't like metal all too much and where there for the FOTM...my opinion of course.
    Smokinjoerules1
    InfernalFender wrote: I thought it was a decent at best album, and that's coming from someone who loved A Thousand Suns. There are a few great tracks, such as the opener and "Powerless"; but the rest are mostly forgettable. I enjoyed ATS because, to me, it seemed like a concept album that was mastered beautifully and flowed together like a story (except for The Messenger, horribly out-of-place song). Living Things, however, feels too disjointed and uninspired for me to enjoy. Even the heavier track, "Victimized", sounds like a crappy attempt at giving some energy to the record. The "metal cymbals" were laughable. Overall, massively disappointed fan; especially with the expectations I had after the quality of ATS and the talk of this album having a Meteora vibe.
    I did have a Meteora vibe...awkward :/
    Smokinjoerules1
    Countsluggo wrote: There's evolution and experimenting and growing as musicians with the times, age, and influences, and then there's abandoning the genre and all the people that made you famous in the first place. Sure the nu-metal bands for the most part were terrible, but linkin park were one of the exceptions. Great lyrics and songs. Always had an electronic element, but it was heavy and in your face. This is a electronic pop record. The guitar stands out on what 2 tracks? Its the exact same electronic drum beat for the first 4 songs. I gave it an honest listen and this is not for me. This to me is selling out or something. I guess after you've made a shit ton of money, who cares if your original fans still like you.
    Right, just **** off with this whole 'selling out' shit ok?! a band can't 'sell out' that phrase itself makes zero sense, IF ANYTHING they 'sold out' on their last two records not this one...my god
    Smokinjoerules1
    They go back to a very similar sound of the past and you idiots are still not pleased...'bout right.
    RC52190
    K!!LsWiTcH wrote: Alex0bertelli wrote: Hybrid Theory and Meteora were great albums. It seems from that point they slowly got worse and worse, incorporating more 'computer-generated' music, distancing themselves from the nu-metal genre, of which they helped create. RIP to the Linkin Park I used to love well hold on they didnt really help create nu metal at all really they were about as late to it as machine head. i never ever thought of them as nu metal. theres too much a distinction between the rapping and singing. its not kinda rapping or almost rapping or fast spoken shinoda straight up raps. and chester sings. always saw it as rap rock or rap metal whatever. either way burn it down didnt pique any interest and i havent heard anything since midnight that did really
    What are you talking about? Linkin Park is notorious for pretty much single-handedly creating the nu-metal genre. They pioneered their own genre. Everyone who knows Linkin Park pretty much knows this...