Meteora review by Linkin Park

• Released: Mar 25, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Linkin Park: Meteora

You know, I've read and reread the reviews on here. And you know, for a while I've tried to defend the band. I've given up on that. You know, I really liked the band when they came out with Hybrid Theory. They had a sound to them I really hadn't heard anywhere. But they sound way tooo tooo perfect on the album, from all the damn tweaking they do in the studio to get that sound....it's too bad they can't mock that sound on stage, it might give them a few more points. Because after I saw them live with Hoobastank, POD, and SOTY my opinion changed of them totally. And it also changed when this album came out. IT HAS THE SAME SOUND OF HYBRID THEORY! Tell me that's not sad. They have the same sound, they have the same 5 chords, same riff changes. I began to grow sour when I learned how to play the songs "Faint," and "From The Inside," both from their new album. You know what's sad, is how easy these songs are, but besides that, THEY USE THE SAME CHORDS JUST PLAYED DIFFERENTLY. That, there my, friends, is sad. I rest my case.

You know, I was sort of impressed with the lyrics. Sike. It was the same thing over and over again. Everything is about the same thing. It doesn't hurt to show your opinion on other things. I will point out the crappyness of the lyrics. Take their first single, "Somewhere I Belong," for instance. "I want to heal, I want to feel, Like I'm close to something real." Wow, great talent. You rhymed the words heal, feel, and real. I can rhyme the words, rick, dick and stick, I think I'll go use the formula to go and make a top 40's hit. That's all they tried to do for this album I think, is make top 40 hits with the same formula that launched them from Hybrid Theory. You know, some of it holds some strength to it, like maybe their tracks, "Numb" or "Breaking The Habit," but you know you could just listen to their Hybrid Theory album and hear the exact same things almost. It's almost kinda funny when you think about it, I mean how many times can you say the same thing over and over? Somethings going to have to change or else these guys won't be around much longer.

You know, I've tried to give them credit for some of their work. Some of it is OK. I'll admit it. I used to really dig these guys, really liked them. But you know what? You want to see these guys live? Don't waste the money. Buy their "Live in Texas" CD. You'll get their show just as it is live. Sad isn't it? My main problem is they stuck to the same formula from their past album. Sure, their last album sold. It sold a lot. But you can't stick to the same formula's over and over again...it just shows how talentless you are. Being a musician means pushing it past that threshold to make something different, something new, while maintaining that sound that people like you for. Now that doesn't mean remix your songs again. Which they already had done with their "Reanimation" release. That's kinda funny. They re-remixed their songs basically. At least in my opinion. If I lost this CD, I'd burn it. If I wanted to see this band live again, I'd burn their "Live in Texas" CD. In my opinion, burn it. Download it. Don't buy it. Not unless you like the talentless represented on this album. I mean, I used to be a real big fan of these guys. But you know, if something doesn't change for the third album, then my opinion will be set in stone that these guys really suck.