Meteora review by Linkin Park

• Released: Mar 25, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Linkin Park: Meteora

A little more heavier on the guitar, but slightly lighter vocals in parts. Comparing it to older stuff, its obvious the producer and label toned them down. There are various styles but I will admit it is a little formulaic, which isn't bad, but can dissappoint. It still defines itself as Linkin Park. Appropriate drum beats, techno vibe, guitar riffs fit style, TURN UP THE BASS!!!, and vocals are exceptional.

The lyrics are a bit toned down from the darker stuff found in older stuff. Again, looks like label and producer are up to no good. Comparing them to the HT EP lyrics, definitely watered down to be radio friendly. Lyrics can get cheesy at parts, especially in Somewhere I Belong. Strong lyrics in Figure .09, Lying From You, and Breaking the Habit. Other than that, lyrics are a little typical. Vocals for those songs also stand out a little more. Lyrics fit music though in all songs. Again, talent is toned down because of obvious label intrusion. (So many sophomore albums suffer because of that.)

Weaker than past material but still makes the cut. The music is listenable and does not become boring instantly. Figure .09, Lying from You, and Breaking the Habit are definitely the most impressive songs on the album. I love the fact that different blends of musical instrumentation is used in this album. I hated the fact that the album couldn't have been better, it seems that it was held back from achieving a certain potential as Hybrid Theory did. I'm a hardcore Linkin Park fan so I would buy this cd if i lost it, but as for the average listener, depends whether you digged it or not. It was worth the price I paid for it, $12 something. Definitely not a classic and probably the worst Linkin Park could probably put out, as it doesn't match up to lyrics and originality as the Hybrid Theory EP and LP. It's an average album. (Side note: Meteora was definitely watered down because of the label and producer, evidence is taken from Making of Meteora DVD. Don Gilmore states how he wanted the music to have replaybility, thus you must make weaker music for everyone to enjoy. Unfortunately no one listens to complex music anymore so you definitely would not sell as well. Choosing Don Gilmore as a producer was a huge mistake by Linkin Park.) Meteora suffers from holding back talent, its a shame.