Meteora review by Linkin Park

• Released: Mar 25, 2003
Linkin Park: Meteora

The sound of this album is all-around, just a little cookie-cutter, but I have to say Meteora is much better than Hybrid Theory when you compare the musical stylings put into both albums. Nu-metal is dying a slow death, but Linkin Park seems to survive. Come on, that has to prove something. They don't make any innovations with this album, but you have to think about what would happen if they did. The album wouldn't be as fun to listen to, and you've gotta realize that music is all about making you happy, not proving that you can do 300 guitar tricks.

The lyrics are vague. But when you think about it, that's what makes this album better than Hybrid Theory. Hybrid Theory is an angst-out. This album is vague to the point where I can make it about anything my little heart desires. The song "Somewhere I Belong" is really the only exception to that rule; otherwise, the reasoning behind the songs and why they are angry/sad/confused is all up to you. The music helps you decide what it's about, because it's almost as vague as the lyrics. Chester Bennington is a good singer. He is proficient in the same way Sonny Moore is proficient; they both have really weird voices considering their gender, but they both sound better than you would singing weird. However, Mike Shinoda rapping is a hilarity; he's a nerdy Asian guy who shouldn't rap unless he wants to get laughed at.

Linkin Park makes other nu-metal artists look silly. However, they do it with such proficiency not because they are talented, but because they have done the same thing so many times. The top 3 songs off of this album are Somewhere I Belong, Hit The Floor, and Session. The thing that I love and the thing that I hate are exactly the same thing: the predictability. If this album were lost or stolen, I would burn a new copy, because I have it loaded into this computer. To put it this way, it is a solidly good album, but an idiot punk rocker with a pink mohawk should buy something else.

con job
    all the songs on this sound the same.on Hybrid Theory each song had its own personality.but still some great songs on this ,especially Breaking The Habit,the most original song on this cd.lyrics can get really cheesy on this CD, but screw it great band
    JT_Late
    I think most of you people are retarded because first of all if you could sing you would notice that chester has melody. Almost every punk band I no of does not metal included they have one note one tone scream's and zero melodies chester can scream and use melody at the same time and I thought that a band should sound hmmm like the band!!! C'mon emotion is what people feel isn't that what music is, it's funny how you say a band sound's the same but yet they sound like no one else and most of the band's nowaday's sound the same. So overall linkin park is a great band and untill you are better shut your mouth what are you jealous? I think so haha.
    lpgreatfan
    Another great album from LP..the second best of them...love it, especially numb, breaking the habit, easier to run and somewhere i belong. LP ROCKS!!!