Meteora review by Linkin Park

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Mar 25, 2003
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 8.7 (179 votes)
Linkin Park: Meteora
1

Sound — 10
This is one of my all-time favorites not just by LP but by anybody. I like the mixture of digital effects and soft vocals with power chords and hard rock vocals in the choruses.I don't know what Meteora means. This is the LP album I've always loved, I love everything about this album. This is one of the greats of the many rap-rock albums made in the early 2000's. I am anxious to see how Minutes to Midnight (LP's new album) turns out compared to Meteora.

Lyrics — 10
The lyrics are my favorite of any band. The lyrics sometimes appear to have an obvious meaning but then turn out to have a hidden meaning. The lyrics are in perfect harmony with the band. The lrics are also very clever in my opinion. Chester (LP's singer) has always been one of my favorite singers. He can sing soft verses, hard choruses, and even some rap. He is one of the best singers of any genre right now I believe.

Overall Impression — 10
This is one of my most favorite albums of any genre, any time. My impression is that it has an urban, metal sound to it. It's more leaning towards rock than Hybrid Theory was. Nonetheless, Meteora still has rap in it's verses. My favorite songs on Meteora are Somewhere I Belong, Numb, Breaking The Habit, and Faint. I love the overall sound of the rock-rap mixture. Some bands (cough, Limp Bizkit, cough) are just not good at mixing rock and rap. But Linkin Park has created a new sound that you know is LP right when you hear it.

9 comments sorted by best / new / date

    PUNISHER210
    LINKINPARK IS MY FAVRIT ROCK BAND BUT I WISH THY HIT THE GUITAR'S BUT HAY THY ARE STILL THE BEST!!!!!
    Smithsc
    You know the state of rock/metal is in poor shape when people listen to bands like linkin park and claim its the best guitar they've ever heard.
    laxkid2
    [quote]Smithsc wrote: You know the state of rock/metal is in poor shape when people listen to bands like linkin park and claim its the best guitar they've ever heard. Yeah, i agree, but this album is definately one of the better linkin park albulms
    wildchild6660
    laxkid2 wrote: [quote]Smithsc wrote: You know the state of rock/metal is in poor shape when people listen to bands like linkin park and claim its the best guitar they've ever heard. Yeah, i agree, but this album is definately one of the better linkin park albulms
    Vocals: Great Rap: Decent Guitars: A ten year old could play it Effect: Pretty damn good Lyric: Crap
    con job
    dark_falco3000 wrote:No, this album doesn't sound different from Hybrid Theory. I used to think it did, but then after listening to it heaps, I realised that it's almost exactly the same. Good band, needs more variety, and better guitarist... goddamn they need a better guitarist.
    IMO, they are two completely different albums. Song's like Don't Stay, Breaking the Habit, Lying From You, and Hit The Floor, would have been very out of place on Hybrid Theory. I can't out my finger on it, but there's something about them that would have made them alien on Hybrid Theory. Therefore I think the two are different in sound
    YourAverageJoe
    ok anyone who doesnt like linkin hates the genre they are in and shouldnt use that to criticize linkin park. also many criticize them because their songs are too "simple". wtf. their songs are simple because it works for them and has made them popular. nobody cares if you can make a better riff or come up with better lyrics because you'll still sound worse then linkin park and will never be able to surpass their greatness.
    dark_falco3000
    YourAverageJoe wrote: ok anyone who doesnt like linkin hates the genre they are in and shouldnt use that to criticize linkin park. also many criticize them because their songs are too "simple". wtf. their songs are simple because it works for them and has made them popular. nobody cares if you can make a better riff or come up with better lyrics because you'll still sound worse then linkin park and will never be able to surpass their greatness.
    I can understand you when you say that people shouldn't criticize the band because they hate the genre. That's a personal opinion type of thing and shouldn't be used in an argument. I'm indifferent about Nu Metal, there are some awesome bands like Linkin Park and Disturbed's older stuff (I don't really class Believe or Ten Thousand Fists as Nu Metal), and then again there are some pretty shit bands. But my interest in Linkin Park has dropped dramatically. You say that we shouldn't criticize them for being too simple, but I disagree. The simplicity of the songs take away one of the most important parts of music, something that mainstream music, in fact, most contemporary music altogether, has forgotten about and something which music just doesn't sound the same without. You know, that timeless feeling that you get from hearing classics, extremely original, creative or talented songs, or songs with excellent lyrics. Linkin Park has none of these, and therefore, while I still like them, I have started to grow sick of their music because it's not, as I said, timeless. If you want some good examples of what I'm talking about, Iron Maiden is one of the most popular examples of timeless music in Metal, but other bands which demonstrate this is Dream Theater with their ****ing amazing instrumentals and extremely original progressive music, or Nightwish with their classical influences including Tarja's voice before she left the band and their epic orchestral sound mixed with their powerful metal side. These are bands that express that timeless feeling that I'm going on about and you should definitely listen to some of their songs, and if you listen to them enough, and you're into your music as much as I am, Linkin Park will become so insignificant in comparison. Also a band should never strive for popularity. It's just plain wrong. Music should be written for the sake of music, not fans or popularity.
    dark_falco3000
    con job wrote: dark_falco3000 wrote:No, this album doesn't sound different from Hybrid Theory. I used to think it did, but then after listening to it heaps, I realised that it's almost exactly the same. Good band, needs more variety, and better guitarist... goddamn they need a better guitarist. IMO, they are two completely different albums. Song's like Don't Stay, Breaking the Habit, Lying From You, and Hit The Floor, would have been very out of place on Hybrid Theory. I can't out my finger on it, but there's something about them that would have made them alien on Hybrid Theory. Therefore I think the two are different in sound
    Sorry for the double post but I just saw this. I used to feel the same way about you with Meteora, but then when I started listening to more complex original music, I found that the only reason I thought that was because they were on different albums, and Meteora's production was cleaner and better. If they originally released Hybrid Theory with songs from Meteora like Lying From You with the same quality of production, then they wouldn't seem alien at all. At least, that's how I view it.