Meteora review by Linkin Park

• Released: Mar 25, 2003
Linkin Park: Meteora

This being Linkin Park's second album, it definetly brought more Alternative Rock to the table, but the Rap/Nu Metal was anything but lost or forgotten. Compared to "Hybrid Theory", this album definetly showed some more effort; both in writing and recording. The guitar work in the album is definetly mentionable, but the spotlight for this album seems to be on Joe Hahn. In songs like "Lying From You" and "Nobody's Listening", his turntabling and sampling are, for me, the highlights. Another exceptional component to "Meteora" was an improved blend between Mike and Chester. They definetly were at their best at mixing Chester's singing and Mike's rapping on this record.

I was very pleased with both Chester and Mike's lyrics on "Meteora", but I think Mike stood out more. His parts, particularly "Hit The Floor" and "Nobody's Listening", are very memorable. Meanwhile, I think Chester could have worked on his non-screaming parts. His screaming was satisfactory, and his singing was only average. Not to say it was bad, but it needed a lot of improvement to measure up to Mike on this album. From an overall standpoint, the lyrics in this record are great. Full of depth, feeling and emotion; but not losing the feel of the Rap Metal. The lyrics will stick in your head and make you want to sing along, but also make you really think.

Overall, I would consider this Linkin Park's best album, all things considered. Although they did experiment with very different genres later, it definetly had the best effort. Definetly stand out performance comes from Joe Hahn. Some of the best songs are definetly "Nobody's Listening", "Hit The Floor", and "Faint". They blend Mike and Chester's styles well, and have great instrumental parts. Definelty the first LP album you should buy, and a must have if a fan of the band.