Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

The sound is not what you have come to expect from Linkin Park. There is a lot less heavy guitars, rap lyrics, and screaming. I actually think that most of the sound comes completely from drums and keyboards. One of the songs is compltely raping with drums as a backbeat. The overall tone is very mellow compared to their previous records.

The lyrics on this CD seemed very simple. For spending as much time as they claimed on writing I expected something much better. They also seemed very predictable, on the song Givin Up there is just so many commonly used rock lyric lines, such as "I'm suffocating", or "I'm my own worst enemy." While I am fine with the occasional swear words used in lyrics it seemed that in some parts they threw it in just so that they could say the F-word one more time.

The album is extremely different from all of their previous releases. It feels as if they have lost the edge to their music, and they have become so mainstreamed. There is only about four songs on this album that I would want to listen to again. With so much hype this album was a huge dissapointment, I bought it expecting it to be more rock and less of the rap that they had previously used, but soon found that there was very little rock to be found. If this was lost I probably wouldn't care, I've only owned the CD for a day and am already regretting wasting ten bucks.