Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

Linkin Park, famous for their rock/rap combination, came this year with a new album, called Minutes To Midnight. Though it hasn't been released officially, it has already been leaked on the internet. Minutes to Midnight will be the first Linkin Park album, on which they curse. The rock/rap feeling is totally gone. On some of the numbers you will only hear Chester Bennington sing and on other songs you will only hear Mike Shinoda. They used different styles and mixed them together, which came to an unique sound. It will still be Linkin Park, but a little bit different. For example: they have a number, called No More Sorrow, which contains punk and heavy metal, because of an EBow effect. There is only one number, which is similar to their earlier albums. Given Up.

On this album, we hear Mike Shinoda sing. Which he usually never does. The lyrics are great and Mike Shinoda gave the following comment on the fact, that the album leaked: "It couldn't be more exciting to give you all new music, especially after all the hard work we put into it. This album was almost a year and a half of experiments, mistakes, inspiration, and careful craftsmanship. We put everything we had into these songs, and want you to hear every second of it. I can't wait for you to absorb all the levels of meaning in the songs, and the layers of music, eventually forming your own ideas about what the songs mean to you. At the same time, a leak leaves out some very important parts of this piece of work. We put months of creative energy into the ART of the record, in the booklet, special edition, and big book... almost as long as it took to record hybrid theory (sic). The album has amazing photos, lyrics, and notes about how the songs came together, it's the visual half of the record. On the other hand, the super-special-edition book is packed with exclusive images, stories of the making of the songs, gorgeous art, the CD and a DVD that tells the story, showing the actual moments of inspiration caught on camera. For me, it's almost hard to imagine anyone really experiencing this album without that part of it. Even the song sequence alone is very important. It's WAY different to hear the songs in a random order than to listen to this record from beginning to end. At the very least, if you've already downloaded the songs, do us a huge favor and listen to them in the right order, it'll be way more rewarding."

In my opinion, this album is great. Though many people have criticized about the album, I love it. One of the numbers in particular. "Shadow Of The Day". It is a great song, which is a bit like U2. I also like "Given Up", because this is in their original style and the lyrics are great. A bit unrealistic, is the extreme long screaming of Chester Bennington, he screams like for 20 seconds. A little bit too long I think. However, though the album is about a year too late, I am really satisfied with it. I downloaded it, which I know is wrong, but after hearing it, I will certainly buy it, as soon as it gets in stores.

Tarquin
    hmmm its really not to my taste in my oppinion Given Up is the only good song on the album. Overall it pretty much blows donkey balls compaired to the other albums, i even linked reanimation more than this. They have never and will never be able to follow on to Hybrid Theory, it was just an awsome flook i think.
    Xerothunder
    How did Maynard get into this? I'm picking up this CD today... I'm interested to see what it sounds like.
    Thatguy64
    thatguy64, you're just some stupid 15 year old bitch who only listens to linkin park. lots of bands tell the story in their music, not certainly only linkin park.
    don't be so quick to judge, Im 21, not 15. and no Linkin Park is not all that i listen to, listen to just about everything, so I think that makes me a little more appt to state my opinion... and theres no need for the language, i was simply saying how i felt, but if you need to try and belittle other people to deal with your own problems, by all means take it out on my... but in the end, your still the same little punk making fun of others for you own short comings... its not our fault... so deal with it!!!
    blajano
    dajake101 wrote: i was a HUGE LP fan especially after meteora, but their new album SUCKS.. i am VERY dissapointed.. 5 years without an album and then they finally come out with one and it sucks, and they turned all emo which is also very dissapointing. they should go back to their old style of music, with mike shinoda rapping, and chester bennington singing in the same song that actually has a beat, they should re-listen to their old classics like lying from you ( one of my favorite songs of all time )and other great songs like that, not this new crap.
    Indeed
    purple_haze989
    cyclonus78 wrote: There had better be a change when the next album comes out, cause I ain't buying this one
    hahaha... Yeah im sure Chester and co. will be crestfallen after they find out!
    cyclonus78
    This album doesn't represent linkin park at all. This barely qualifies as a rock album. If this is just to sell records in the ever (and annoying) growing emo market, then forget it. If they didn't want to be nu-metal and scream over that, then they shouldn't have started out like that at all because thats the lp we like and we're used to. This new release is just gona appeal to all the scene kids cause fans of their original stuff like me aren't wasting their money on it. There had better be a change when the next album comes out, cause I ain't buying this one
    slash6464
    lol everyone takes a bite at me for stating my opinions, yet everyone else give there's about mine, lol, now thats a contradiction, i really didn;t contradict my self at all, cos in the end you did argue back against me lol.
    mosh_rocker2006
    Hey slash6464 thanks for you opinions but that's all they are and no one cares. Maynard definitely kicks ass but Chester isn't bad. If you're going to make a comparsion then atleast have Maynard and someone from an emo band with their whiny bitch vocals. p.s. This album definitely takes some time to grow on a listener. Instead of being totally shocked right away...after a few listens you'll start really piece everything in and you'll be even more shocked than just a good album.
    Farether
    dajake101 wrote: also there were no tracks like session or cure for the itch on this album... did the DJ guy like leave the band or something?
    well if your were a big fan as you said, why don't you know the DJ guy's name?
    Learn_to_fly
    dajake101 wrote: wow nobody's argued with me yet... thats interesting
    haha, ok i'll give u wat u want mate. i'll talk to u. hello dajake101. ur so wrong. yeah. ya happy??? neways... This album pwnz. Honestly, I think it's better than Meteora because it's a progression in their sound, more 'rock' than 'rock-rap'. Sure, the solos aren't all dragonforce, but it's better than a nonexistant guitar hidden behind turntables and tripled vocals with NO bass whatsoever. It's not "10,000 days", "Light Grenades" or "Black Holes and Revelations", but it still kills crap like fall out boy, hinder, nickelback, good charlotte, and the sold-out versions of lostprophets and AFI.
    Learn_to_fly
    dajake101 wrote: wow nobody's argued with me yet... thats interesting
    haha, ok i'll give u wat u want mate. i'll talk to u. hello
    Eamon Fethers
    when i first listened to this record i really cudn't get into ne of the songs, and on hybrid and meteora i luved every single one but i spose the more i listen 2 it the more i'll like it
    goldenphoenix1
    not a commercial album although there are radio songs chester; i can accept he now takes sole responsibility over vox, but at times his voice cuts to a metallica, thrash type voice...for instance in pieces...it's all very variant from what we're use to....which is something like what i've done. I think nobody can really review this album until september....it's going to take a while to really sink in
    omega_supreme
    Thatguy64 wrote: Linkin Park would be my favorite band even if they did disco, so long as they had as much meaning and heart in their lyrics. They aren't just singing songs, they are telling a story, just listen, and truly try to comprehend the message. the new direction in their music is a yet another great move for the band... and i just bought the CD and it is probably one of the best albums that ive ever paid for... when i heard What I've Done, i knew that this was an album well worth paying for!!! so if you havent got yours yet, i say "Don't waste your time listening to a bunch of panzies whinning about their personal issues and downing this band... just listen to it and tell me that you can't relate to the words on the album!!!" Iceman8204 your right, it doesn't matter what genre that they go to next, they are still going to put their best into it and that is what seperates them from most other bands... they do tell a story, and not just sing... like all those pre-teen punk bands that all sound the same.. Thanks Linkin Park for giving life back to music and killing the bland sound that has poluted the airwaves!!!
    LordThon
    slash6464 wrote: i saw an interview shinoda, and that afro feral guitarist, and they were bragging about, how they wrote 70 different versions, to each song, but the end, result, what i've done, was shit. like, the guitars is like playing straight 8 note rythms. its safe to say that there was no rythm in the guitar line. (prepares for the backlash, of teeny bopper nu - metal fans)
    You contradicted yourself. No backlash necessary. And, I'm really not a huge fan of Maynard. He's good, but...I don't think he's as skilled as so many others do. Same goes for Chester, really. I'm much more fond of Corey Taylor, Ed Sloan (interesting style), and Jesse Hasek. That said! Like many others, this album has had to grow on me. And, it has done so much quicker than any other album before it (St. Anger, A Beautiful Lie, etc.). I think it's an excellent departure from previous efforts, and should act as a pretty good segue into an entirely new style for the band. Much more fluid transition than most bands put forth.
    Farether
    I just got the album deliverd and i thougt that i wouldn't like it the first time i listened to it, but i liked it the first time i listened it, it's just great!
    =X=TONER=X=
    Well, I agree, it is a very different linkin park. But when i had heard new cd, i immediately went out and bought the dvd set. And at first, when i listened to the songs, i was a bit disappointed, but after listening to it a few more times, and watching the DVD and seeing where they were coming from, I really understand why they did this, and applaud them for it. All-in-all, i think it is a very good CD. Yes they changed their sound, but not to sell more records, honestly, they were afraid of no sounding like linkin park, but were advised to make music they liked, and not worry about the sound!!! As i was saying, i love this CD, from the hard rock in no more sorrow, to the more pop songs like leave out all the rest, to the rap song hands held high. All of these songs have some pretty interesting messages in them, as long as you are open minded and truly listen to the music! TWO THUMBS UP!
    Chryne
    I think alot of people were expecting another metal/hard rock album here; which is fair enough if you like that kinda thing. But be serious guys; the album isn't bad just because you were expecting to hear Chester constantly screaming and you didnt. I'm not a big fan of metal myself; I mean, I like Metallica and everything; but my area's always been prog/alt rock stuff; the likes of Audioslave, Pearl Jam etc. But I've liked Linkin Park for a hell of a long time now; ever since I first saw Crawling on Kerrang. Good times And I respect your opinions; wether you like LP or don't; but at least give the album a chance. There are some very deep songs that LP have worked hard to record. Admittedly; they may not be as good as One Step Closer/Points of Authority when you first hear them; they will grow on you very quickly. End of essay. lol
    ROCK.ON
    I like some of it...I was hoping for more heavier songs on this album but i guess not. 'hands held high' reminds me of "like toy soldiers"-eminem
    The-Red-Sky
    Hmm I was thinking of getting this one but now I'm not so keen on it after reading these reviews. Good job
    Ions
    I really wish they would have get the nu metal going, I wasn't even wanting this album until it came out and I am really mad, they may not have been the first to make nu metal but they could have kept it going, I just think why would nu metal fans want a balad album?
    Handthatfeeds25
    The album is great.It takes a few listens to get into , but once it hits you , you really fall in love with this album. If their where more albums like this in the mainstream , I think people would care alot more about rock music then they do right now. Truth.
    B2daR2daA2daD
    yeah after listening to this i immediatly disliked it, and i still do, i know they wanted to go somewhere new, and i respect that but, "if it aint broke, dont fix it"
    Xerothunder
    OK, so I picked this up... so far I'm actually liking this album. It's a departure, no question... I can see how some may feel it's lacking the punch a lot of ppl expected, but I think it's still an excellent album. I think a lot of ppl were thrown off by the release of QWERTY back on the LPU disk... I'm still down with this album.
    guitar_kid07
    i think that this album is ok but the older ones are alot better like meteora that one is the best!
    LordThon
    ...I never said he was "better". Reading comprehension is your friend.
    Triviutallica
    Linkin Park are brilliant i love how they combine Mr kahns DJ Decks, Mike's rapping and Chesters screaming their great but they can't top METALLICA
    DTFatesWarningX
    lol@ whoever said Corey Taylor was better than Maynard.....also come to think of it lol@at the notion that Corey Taylor is a good vocalist
    LordThon
    It's only theft if they didn't get the rights. As for the rest of your statement, pft. Knowing the style of the first two albums means nothing when it comes to Minutes to Midnight. While there are similarities, the differences are much more numerous. Accordingly, claiming to know their style just makes you seem... well, like you've got nothing else to fill your statement with. But, I really can't deny you your opinion. Such a thing IS what makes us all individual, and nothing will sound great to everyone. To each their own. Perhaps try a bit of respect, in the future, though?
    Silentlassassin
    This album is horrible. I am not a fan of Linkin Park at all, but I have been forced to listen to their other albums for the past five years, so needless to say, I know their style. With the ealier album, they seemed to base a lot of their music on Mr. Han, and he drowned out the flaws in the music. Now that they have a lot more guitar and drums in the new songs, you can tell how .. .crappy they really are. Obviously a bunch of you will attack me for my opinion, but a lot of you probably just like this POS album because it has 'Linkin Park' typed on it. Go back to your neo-rap/rock or whatever it was, and stay away from rock. (Also, a lot of their riffs were stolen)
    mosh_rocker2006
    Yeah ok lordfilth they have offended your ears...maybe you're a little bitch and they don't care whether you like the album or not. You're 1 person out of im sure the many that do like it. Maybe you should go cry in a corner...
    lordfilth
    Linkin Park now officially suck. They should go and sit in a corner and cry for the rest of their years. They have offended my ears, and need to be punished.
    rodgab3
    All i can say that the album was kinda a let down at first but after a while it REALLY grew on me, can't wait to see them on the Projeckt Revolution tour (FYI Pre-sale tickets go onsale today)
    omega_supreme
    u ppl are just ****in dumbasses for liking this music. linkin park just suck with the new cd
    Thatguy64
    dajake101
    listen to the lyrics from the song *hit the floor* now those are some amazing lyrics
    Tyler17
    I tottaly agree with iceman8204 an brake-me-in...needless to say muddi990 is a dickhead...now back to the album thing. At first i didn't like it but after hearing it again it started growing on me...the lyrics have a lot to say.. ( Chester is definitely one of the best singers in the world!!!! oh and sorry for my grammar..i am from greece..)
    Iceman8204
    I am a Hardcore Linkin Park fan, they have been my absolute favorite band since Hybrid Thoery had just come out. I remember sitting in study hall playing Crawling and In The End a zillion times in my head. And I respect all that Linkin Park was and still is, I haven't been able to gather the money to buy M2M, but the second I get a hold of some, I am going out to buy it, NOT BECAUSE IT HAS LINKIN PARK TYPED ON IT, but because I respect everything every one of those guys have put into this album. I am an aspiring musician myself, and sometimes, we just put our feeling into songs. And thats exactly what Linkin Park did. I'm positive that alot of these songs came from personal experience from the guys. And I LOVE how the lyrics reflect that. I just think it's a shame that people focus soley on what they "think" they know. as to where if you actually stop flaming them for sucking so bad, you might listen to a line of lyrics or two and realize that these guys are pouring their hearts out. But hey, what do I know, I'm only seventeen...
    cyclefreak207
    Canucks486 wrote: Yes, first it seems to be very commercial but as a fan I can assure, this is totally Linkin Park
    Man I agree on this completely, when you first here them, especially the intros they sound different. But the heart is there, and I think this was an awesome album and anybody talkin smack doesnt know shit cause they sure cant write anything as good and have so many people buy their record.