Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

From the off it's clear that Linkin Park have taken a different route from their usual. The band have been talking for a long time about changing their sound and have succeded. In fact, personally I find it hard to compare it with Meteora and Hybrid Theory, it seems that different. There is a more mature sound and attitude to the album. There is little to find in the way of bridges where Chester nearly rips his throat apart screaming(besides in Given Up)and very little guitar parts that would suggest nu-metal, or are in any way heavy. Songs like Shadow of The Day, Leave Out All The Rest and In Pieces are reminiscent of songs like Easier To Run. People may feel cheated because of a lot of the synth noises(or rather sounds that are distinctly un-guitar like)but anyone that isn't narrow-minded should enjoy and appreciate how the album was put together. It's a lot less produced sounding than previous albums, and it's evident with Rick Rubin at the helm of the record. However, it isn't all doom and gloom, as songs like Given Up, No More Sorrow and Bleed It Out offer something rare(by this albums standards anyway. There's Mike's signature rapping, which is lacking on this record, and the classic heavy songs that Linkin Park can offer. It is a different sound, and may disappoint people who are too stubborn to enjoy a new sound, but for people who can see past the change, they will appreciate it.

Lyrics, for me, have been a weak point for Linkin Park for some years. There's also parts in this album where the lyrics seem very corny, and very teenage angst type of feel, but overall the lyrics have matured. What's partiularly noticeable is the new type of material they began to write about. In "Hands Held High", Mike raps in protest rather than the bordering on emo material he sang before. The lyrics are a lot less predictable, and less lyrical clichs are to be found, and overall it's an improvement

Like I said before, I can't compare this to the other two albums, because the sound is quite different. It's in a different league completely, but still it's hard to find things I hate about it. On occasion, the slower songs can drown in themselves, and there's a lack of upbeat, heavier songs, but overall it's a welcome return for a band that will be put down no matter what they do. But they have matured and awful lot and have crawled out of their nu-metal shell, and is hard to classify them now. Most impressive songs would have to be "Given Up", "Shadow Of the Day", "Hands Held High", "No More Sorrow" and "Valentines Day". Great record, and looking forward to hearing more from LP already.

koh132001
    All the songs in new album are disappointed and sux as hell. I feels like shyt after listened to their new album. What is wrong with them, the lyrics, the tunes and even the guitar riffs are so wimped out and nu metal theme is rip off. It sounds like they are not LP but some old lamer wannabes and now I end up burning that album cd.
    Darkspear
    im sry toboo but its not solos, Its easy stuff I did when I start playing guitar, brad MUST be on a higher level To Do Another album and Grow up equally with hte band. I love the album and the new sound even If I love all theyre heavy stuffs. But god they need a better guitarist.
    PUNISHER210
    darkspear its not the gutarist thats worng its the LYRICS THAY SUCK ILOVE LINKINPARK BUT THIS CD ISNT AS GOOD AS CD1 AN CD2
    Blink_182_fan
    i was a HUGE LP fan especially after meteora, but their new album SUCKS.. i am VERY dissapointed.. 5 years without an album and then they finally come out with one and it sucks, and they turned all emo which is also very dissapointing. they should go back to their old style of music, with mike shinoda rapping, and chester bennington singing in the same song that actually has a beat, they should re-listen to their old classics like lying from you ( one of my favorite songs of all time )and other great songs like that, not this new crap.
    rbarger
    Am I the only one that thinks this album is a step back?! Its not that good!
    Frosty 44
    This new album is great i think that hand held high and bleed it out are two of the best songs on the album.
    banksy=legend
    Someone said somewhere Mike Shinoda doesn't provide a lot of vocals on the new album. He does a lot of backup singing and isn't it him singing all of 'In Between'(track 10)? Hands held high is great, I heard they had a political themed track and cringed a little but mike pulls it off really well. Quite pleased Brad Delson is sowing off a little more but I was never bothered before, solos and stuff like that was never what Linkin Park were about. Love the new album anyway, couple of weaker tracks but still worth hearing