Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

Linkin Park in their many years of music have stayed for the most part consistant with their sound. The new album definantly sounds like Linkin Park "esque", with a rich feel, and underlying industrial synth beats. However the first track "Wake" I find to be a bit of a deceptive intro to the album considering most of the tracks are anti-Linkin Park style ballads. Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda's voices have aged a bit, they still sound good, but they don't sound like the young and energetic Linkin Park everyone fell in love with some years ago. In "Leave Out All The Rest" it seems to me that they have gone more towards a pop-like sound, therefore it doesn't appeal to me as a hard rock fan. General overall sound it seems that this new album is geared more towards mainstream pop audiences, so for the record label, that's a good thing, for fans like myself, that's not. "Hands Held High" is not good Linkin Park by any means. In fact, it's the worst track on the album, if not the worst track they've ever released. I dislike the organ at the beginning, I also dislike the choirs singing "AMEN" through the track. But in all seriousness, it's too slow and sappy to qualify as a good track from the band. They've veered away from their original image, and original sound, and come out with an album that's more so of a let down than anything else. Linkin Park, is barely Linkin Park anymore.

The lyrics were good in the songs, that's one thing the band maintained consistency with. Shinoda's rap verses were good, and flowed well with the music. Shinoda also sings very well in "In Between". Chester however with "Valentines Day" was just irritating. The frontman makes a better rock singer and screamer as opposed to a sweet, gentle and sappy vocalist. For example, Chester sounded better in "Given Up" than "The Little Things Give You Away". In the track "Hands Held High" I wasn't impressed, it's too political for enjoyment. I really didn't like the track because it's another band delivering a depressing, negative political message, and for me, music is an escape from everything and not an outlet for political opinions. Especially from a band like Linkin Park, you wouldn't expect a political song. Lyrics were good, for the most part.

I was definantly expecting something better to come from this band. With tremendous success with the past albums, I was anticipating an outstanding album where every song could be a single. I was also expecting a harder sound. Overall, Linkin Park produced an album, but in my opinion it's their worst album to date. The songs are not your typical Linkin Park songs, they're deep ballads, half of which I wouldn't even consider in the rock genre, more so the pop genre. Linkin Park started as a big corporate project that was very successful, but unfortunately with this album, I feel Linkin Park had little to no control over it, which prohibits the band's creativity. They were probably told, "Do it this way, not that way" and due to contractual obligations, they had to. Linkin Park's other albums featured numerous build-ups and climaxes in songs that hit a very heavy downbeat explosion of guitars and noise to make a very powerful track. On this album, there are unneccisary build-ups and climaxes that result to nothing really. If you're listening to the album for the first time, you'll hear these buildups and expect them to get hard, when in turn instead of getting hard, they get soft and gentle. My advice to Linkin Park would be, Ditch Rick Rubin, he lead the band in a direction that appears to be, the downfall of the entire project. Warner Bros had the wrong man in mind for this band. Ditch the pop producer, listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora again, and start back from your roots. Now I have the pleasure of waiting another four years for a Linkin Park album that may or may not be any good. So the anticipation is more negative expectations than positive ones.

Macabre_Turtle
    DTFatesWarningX wrote: lol@ whoever said Corey Taylor was better than Maynard.....also come to think of it lol@at the notion that Corey Taylor is a good vocalist
    Corey Taylor is an amazing vocalist. Hating Slipknot/Stone Sour is simply a fad that nobody can put an reasoning behind.
    Macabre_Turtle
    Also there really isn't a severe lack of Shinoda. If I didn't already hear that there was less of him before listening to the album then I wouldn't have even noticed there was less of him. I don't think anybody but me noticed the severe lack of Hahn which I think hurt the album really really bad....
    banksy=legend
    Damn right Macabre_Turtle. Corey Taylor has such a diverse range of styles, all of which he performs effortlessly. If that's not the sign of a good vocalist I don't know what is. Also agree on the lack of Hahn, kept expecting to hear more of him as the album went on and felt disappointed when it ended.
    buck16
    I found this album to be the worst ive herd from these amazing people. the other albums were the best ive herd and found this 1 to be a majour dissapointment. they need to get back there powerful edge, and keep away from mainstream bull lyrics the lyrics r deep but alittle too crappy emotional unlike past songs with anger pain and sadness thes new lyrics r like he is crying almost ateast he had balls before but these guys r awsome but they need there edge back.
    happytreemax
    the "reindeer bells" were actually phoenix's car keys and i think this is one of their best albums its good to hear different things on different albums this is the by far my fav band and i really enjoyed this cd alot
    tom-the-lawn
    There new album was a disapoint to me I understand bands have to mature but I dont like the way they changed What I've done and Shadow of the day were the only songs that stood out to me on that cd I think for the most part the only people that will really enjoy this record will be the super hardcore LP fans and new fans that only like the new stuff and not the old stuff Regardless of what anyone may say back to me, it was a wasted $17 and I havent bought a cd since...