Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

Linkin Park has definetely taken a different direction with this album than from others. I have been a long time fan of them, since Hybrid Theory, and have always loved their nu-metal sound mixed with hip-hop. This album changed that drastically, and to be honest, I was not impressed with the new sound as much as the old, which isn't to say it wasn't still good. Chester has taken most of the lyrics now, whereas Mike used to rap verses. Now, Mike's generally on backup guitar, with the exception of "Hands Held High" and "In Between". They had one song similar to the old albums, "Bleed it out" which incorperated Mike doing a verse and Chester with the chorus. Brad's guitaring has changed some, with more solo's being incorperated, and a slightly lighter verse and chorus. He did still do a harder sound with "No More Sorrow", being one of my favorite songs on the album. Phoenix and Mr. Hahn are hardly audible, for the most part, which was a tad dissapointing. And Rob's drumming is still of the best out there.

The lyrics have always been, and still are, very powerful. Chester still sings about realistic issues, and personal issues, while keeping his harmonic voice, and incorperating some great screams now and then. Mikes song "Hands Held High" was a war song, and made the list of top 10 war songs. It is powerful, and that's all I can say about it. Lines such as "It's ironic, at time like this you pray, but a bomb blew the Mosque up yesterday" and "Take back what's yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." make it a very emotional, and catchy song. Chester still has memorable lyrics. No More Sorrow being one of his critical songs with lines such as "You trade money for lies" and "You will pay for what you've done." If one thing hasn't changed, it's the powerful lyrics of btoh Chester and Mike.

Overall, as much as I hate to say it, with the other 2 original albums, Hybrid Theory and Meteora, this was probably my least favorite, only because the new sound the attempted was not to my liking as much as the others. I got this on opening day, and I would definetely recommend it to anybody who's a fan of the band, or who never did like them, but wants to hear their new sound. You will be listening to it multiple times, because despite being different, it's still addictive.

_Soul_Decision_
    sazzelfm wrote: I've been a fan of Linkin Park for ageeees. Hybrid Theory was the first rock/metal/whatever album I ever heard and it got me into all that kind of music. I loved Meteroa as well, so I was really excited when I first brought M2M. And to be honest, I was really dissapointed when I heard it. Given Up was amazing, but it gave me a false hope that the rest of the songs would be as heavy. The rest of the album just seemed really boring. After leaving it aside for ages, I listened to it again and it really started to grow on me. Chester really gets to show off his voice, although I miss the whole rap and singing mix. I didn't like Hands Held High; it was boring and made me laugh. I'm not too fond of the last song either. But the rest of the songs really grew on me, (even though Valentines Day is a little annoying after a while.) I like this album, but I don't like it as a Linkin Park album (if that makes sense?) I want their next one to be heavier...like their previous ones. End of Essay
    I agree. It sounds more of a side project.
    qwerty_555
    When I first bought this album, I really thought it sucked. It was nowhere near any of the stuff they used to do. But, I'd spent money on it, so I decided to give it a chance. After I'd listened to it again and again, I realised that the music, although different, sounded really good. Chester had a go at singing softer, and nailed it. In some parts, he does sound a bit whiny, but not overall. I love this album, it awesome, and in no way worse than any of their other albums. Mr Hahn is in there, you just have to listen closely. But for all the people who think Mr Hahn has been left out, remember that he does direct most of their videos, so he plays a big part. Brad has really found himself with this album with his guitar solo's, which are awesome. Mike sounds really good on this album and proves that he can not only rap, but sing as well. Phoenix plays a bigger part in this album as well, with some songs having only the bass in it. Rob sounds really good on drums, I love the bridge on 'The Little Things Give You Away'. But at the end of the day, a bands existence is not only for their fans, but themselves as well. In the lyrics book that came with the album, they explained that they wanted to move away from the rock/rap sound. Personally, I love this album, it's one of the best I've heard. I love the LP boys as well, so as long as they are happy with the album, I'm happy. p.s. sorry for this being so long!
    Handthatfeeds25
    I've had this song for over 5 months and I still can't get over the song "The Little Things Give You Away".
    Handthatfeeds25
    I've had this album for over 5 months now , and I still can't get over the song "The Little Things Give You Away".
    laxkid2
    There r three good songs: What ive done, bleed it out, and given up. the rest kinda suck.