Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

Linkin Park have established themselves as a typical nu-metal band, proved by there previous two albums Hybrid Theory and Meteora (not including reanimation or live in Texas). However there is a great change in there latest album Minutes To Midnight, where instead of there previous vibe have changed into a mellow, melodic sludge. Some of the song like the opening one "Given Up" still contain the old style metal that Linkin Park are good at but most of the other songs have gone to sappy for the old fans taste.

Lyrically speaking Linkin Park have again, like there sound, mellowed out, maybe a little too much. Again like my previous example "Given Up" there is still some of the hardcore vibe that Linkin Park possessed before. But then the at the other end of the scale "Shadow Of The Day" just turns into a boring, depressing drone of noise. For some people this maybe a better Linkin Park than before, but otherwise I wouldn't be too impressed.

After listening to the album countless times to see whether it would sound any better I eventually gave up, like I am sure so many other fans have done. Even though some of the songs still have Linkin Park's old, and true self the rest of the album is big disappointment. However I can say if you've heard one song that you like you may like the rest of the album, but if you didn't like it then don't ask for this album for your birthday (or at all). I think it's fair to say, Linkin Park, you've gained some new fans but lost a lot of old ones.

sevenchurches
    For someone with a dcent taste in music you're a ****ing idiot
    Confetti
    steppsteph wrote: Logan_B wrote: Wow a 7.3 thats bad....I have the CD and personally I woulda rated it 9.3 because its gettin them a lotta success and airtime on the radio....you dont hear something like Children Of Bodom on the radio do you....So stop rating good music sooo low!' ROFL!
    +1 WTF? Air time and commercial succes doesn't make anything better. It just implies that there is a lot of people with bad musical tastes. Bodom is a good example aswell.
    ShatterSpirit
    sevenchurches wrote: Deep? Since when can shitty, angst filled lyrics be called Deep? They are definitely 100% Emo For someone with a dcent taste in music you're a ****ing idiot
    Look, just admit that the lyrics are shit. It sounds like something a thirteen year old girl who cuts herself to sleep would write. The sooner you can admit it's shit the better off you'll be, Moron.
    last!
    Are you the reviewers kidding? M2M contains 12 tracks, not 11!
    Let it out
    Its a softer tone.But deeper words.Givin up and no more sorrow,remind me of the last two cd's,all the others different.Change is good.Lp legends.
    qwerty_555
    HellRazer wrote: Given Up - Great way to start a album, nice hard rock song. But the scream is like.....yeah right do that live without a computer HA. Actually he sang that song last night on channel 4 and the scream was pretty good actually - dont underestimate chester's screaming or singing ability coz he can do it just as good if not better than everyone else
    Yeah, I saw Linkin Park last year, and one of the first songs they played was Given Up. Chester's scream was amazing, he completed it and went straight back into the chorus.
    qwerty_555
    MagicFingersJCC wrote: a list of my favourite bands 1. Dream Theater 2. Tool 3. Muse . . . . . . . . . . . 3567. Blink 182 3568. Hilary Duff 3569. Linkin Park (are shit)
    Ayye!!! At least Linkin Park and blink-182 are in there!
    Smithsc
    How can such a terrible, talentless band release an even worse album?
    chaoticfables
    Question Is Mike Shinoda singing in 'In Pieces' cuz it doesn't sound like Chester... I think it's a great album!!!!! The end of some songs lead continuously to the next song if you listen carefully like Shadow of the Day to What I've Done
    steppsteph
    ' ROFL!
    Mr Jeb
    i liked it, thought it was a good album, really good live aswell, saw them a few days ago...why does everyone care so much about a band being 'emo' if you like them who cares really? =\
    Reebokanonymous
    This is probably my least favorite Linkin Park album, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. It's certainly not as much of a rock album as their others. I digress from Hybrid Theory .
    stone_sour09
    Linkin Park has sucked more and more every album. This one is without question the worst. Instead of getting better, they keep sucking even more (somehow).
    Logan_B
    Insomnia57
    How does this albumn keep coming up to the surface? it came out almost a year ago and it made its way back to the title page?
    HeartRaz0r
    slowhekau wrote: I think "Bleed It Out" sounds like a square dance. They probably could have even put a fiddle in the song and it wouldn't have sounded out of place. Not a good song in my opinion...Not a good album in my opinion
    no it doesn't... not all the songs are good, but there are some rly nice ones... and bleed it out is the nicest one, but i expected more from linkin park... seems to be not my favourite band anymore...
    slowhekau
    innis93
    i seriously thought it sucked...i was disapointed when i heard the whole CD...but ya they are trying to make music that sells...and they are damn good at it...but i don't feel that...MTM was a Linkin Park best
    Confetti
    scarfacesuit wrote: I think it would be a clever move for them to make a really heavy album next.
    I think it would be even more clever to make a good album for a chance.
    ShatterSpirit
    I think you're the idiot for actually thinking that these lyrics were written by someone other than a thirteen year old angst filled girl who cuts herself to sleep. The lyrics are shit, just admit it.