Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

Ok Minutes to Midnight sees LP branch of into a new sound that is very different from their classic Nu-Metal sound which they had in the early 2000's. This sees them go into a softer alternative rock sound. Well I'll start off by saying that nearly every song on this album is a ballad with some exceptions like Given Up and No More Sorrow. I did not find this disappointing as I thought it was a time for change in Linkin Parks sound because their music was getting repetitive. In this record Chester and Mike both use different vocal techniques with Mike rapping less and actually singing on In Between. Brad (the guitarist) does to solos, one that is pretty fast (In Pieces) and one slow (the Little things give you away he also does a weird(but good riff) in Bleed It Out. Mr Hahn also does a lot less scratching of the turntables. Overall this is a really good sound and very soothing in some songs. I like it a lot (I think every song is good) but am kind of disappointed in the lack of rapping in Mikes part.

Lyrics have taken a change from their previous work as the band has matured and experienced a lot more in their lives (anyway a couple of 30 year olds singing about teen angst and sadness would sound weird right? e.g. Fred Durst). Chester has gone through a divorce and remarried so some of his lyrics revolve around that aspect. Mike in Hands Held High Raps about the war in Iraq and George Bush showing strong political views and Chester sings about Hurricane Katrina since he had visited there and seen the devastation it had caused. Mainly the lyrics deal with pain and anger and political issues. Chester uses a much softer voice in this album in some songs (Little things give you away, Valentines day) but in others shouts his head off (Given up, No More Sorrow) and even includes a 19 second long scream in Given Up. I think the lyrics were very meaningful and powerful but I think they could have used a bit of work at some places like Bleed It Out since I find it kind of lacking in Chester's Part.

Overall I find M2M to be some of the bands best work. I was disappointed in some aspects like Mike's lack of rapping and Mr Hahn's lack of visibility musically but they are minimal in the overall sound and feel of this album. Some of the best songs are Bleed It Out, No More Sorrow, Given Up and Valentines Day. This was one of the highlights in 2007 as I saw it as a lacking year with it being dominated by Pop Rock and Pop Punk bands which were bad. In the subject of individual band member work, the band has stepped up with Rob Bourdon the drummer and Brad Delson both stepping up and giving the fans something fresh and new and Mike Shinoda doing some very good rhythm guitar work. Chester shows us his softer side while Phoenix (the bassist) does some really cool bass work (Given Up, What I've Done). If I lost this CD I would definitely buy it again as it is some of the bands best work. I really enjoyed every song in this album (even though some songs took some time to get used to). I would recommend this album to anyone who could handle a change in sound for LP and who likes a more soft sound for them.

wraith313
    Chryne wrote: I think alot of people were expecting another metal/hard rock album here; which is fair enough if you like that kinda thing. But be serious guys; the album isn't bad just because you were expecting to hear Chester constantly screaming and you didnt. I'm not a big fan of metal myself; I mean, I like Metallica and everything; but my area's always been prog/alt rock stuff; the likes of Audioslave, Pearl Jam etc. But I've liked Linkin Park for a hell of a long time now; ever since I first saw Crawling on Kerrang. Good times And I respect your opinions; wether you like LP or don't; but at least give the album a chance. There are some very deep songs that LP have worked hard to record. Admittedly; they may not be as good as One Step Closer/Points of Authority when you first hear them; they will grow on you very quickly. End of essay. lol
    Metal? I like LP, but I would hardly classify them, at any point in their career, as metal. Not even close.
    tim western
    I liked their old stuff but I'm not particularly keen on their new direction, Chester's voice worked well for choruses and certain lead parts but I'm not really into the songs with him singing the whole thing.
    Adam_Harrison9
    ToolRickHead wrote: I'll have to agree, MJK is our best vocalist this generation. vocalist being in the rock-genre.
    You obviously haven't heard of Matt Caughthran or Tim McIlrath.
    Vin2254
    King ofKumbucha wrote: DTFatesWarningX wrote: lol@ whoever said Corey Taylor was better than Maynard.... Thats like comparing being shot in the face to getting your head run over... Both suck, hard.
    haha, thats great.
    HolyDiver1118
    guitar_hero543
    dajake101 wrote: wow nobody's argued with me yet... thats interesting
    well wasn't that the weirdest thing i've heard from somebody in a long time.....this coming from somebody who once sat drinking a beer while his friend sang along to sesame street on tv.....
    ValenceElectron
    Linkin Park completely abandoned the sound that made them so famous and gained them such a devoted fanbase. When you have so many diehard fans, you'll still be able to stay afloat even if you shit on them, like LP has done here. I see people trying to bash TOOL, and that makes no sense. TOOL is legendary.
    punk_player
    HolyDiver1118 wrote: Ok Linkin Park fans and haters, I hate to be a narrow-minded ***** (but I'm gonna be one anyway) First of all I am a big fan of old Linkin Park. And second of all with me being a fan old LP that means that it's likely that I won't be for all this "slow-down, radio-friendly, let's turn emo crap" that they're pullin out of their asses with FM2M. Now I have not bought this album nor have I listened to it, with the exception of the few songs on the radio that are played over and over again like a broken record. But I can say, with absolute certainty, that I hate this album and I hate what Linkin Park have become. "Bleed it Out" wtf is that, like an emo battle cry? Has anyone seen the video to that? It looks like their tryin to suck dick man. What happened to the heavy metal guitars, the awesome rap lyrics, the screaming that made LP famous and awesome? (it must have been bled out of them when they started cutting their wrist) but this is crap. Its a disgrace to the legacy (or lack there of) of Linkin Park.
    haha dude your a f uckin fa ggot maybe you should grow up a bit