Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

Link Park. From other albums they were seen as that nu-metal band that some people saw as a novelty. Well their sound has definetaly changed with this album. Minutes To Midnight breaks away from the past nu-metal and brings in something a bit more emo to some songs in this album. This can make it more radio friendly (such as the single What I've Done), not making it a bad thing, but a lot of people seem to hate their favourite band becoming radio friendly as it no longers becomes 'different'. Through it becoming more radio friendly it does allow them to broaden their listening audience which I think is a great idea as I think Linkin Park could well become one of the greatest bands ever. In the making of this album, their creativity really boomed. Infact, it boomed so much that they had to post-pone the release date 3 times before settling for May 15th, 2007. In Minutes To Midnight, Linkin Park keep their nu-metal sound but they add/remove some things, making it suitable for old fans and the new ones they would probably hope to achieve. In my opinion, as I'm a stubborn old fan (no not a type of man), I don't think this album has as many strong songs as their previous albums but the strong songs it has, they hit you hard.

The singing from Chester Bennington, and rapping from Mike Shinoda, has been used very effectively in this album. I would say the lyrics are based on the current war in Iraq, and to do with the families that have to suffer each time their family member must go out and fight. Screaming out those songs to get their point across, while also singing more melodically in a sad kind of way, you really start to think about the war and what pain it inflicts on the families who have soldiers out there. Bennington has always had a knack for being able to scream at the top of his voice, to come down to a soft clean voice, making his singing very versatile. As for Shinoda, rapping can be a hard thing to implement into rock but he manages to succeed in doing so. rapping in rock songs in what really keeps the beat going, like in "Bleed It Out" it really gets you nodding to the beat. As for songs like "Hands Held High" the words and way he executes it, once again really gets you thinking.

The best songs in my opinion would have to be "Given Up" because of Benningtons scorching singing and "Hands Held High" because it's a master of political songs. Overall I wouldn't say it's their best album, probably ranking 2nd underneath the likes of Meteora or Hybrid Theory. But I wouldn't put it off that quickly as it's a brave move to do something so different and to recieve such a reception, it shows that Linkin Park have still got what it takes to become one of the greatest bands on Earth.