Minutes to Midnight review by Linkin Park

• Released: May 11, 2007
Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

4 years after Meteora Linkin Park has completely changed from the radio-friendly nu-metal style they were known for. Most songs on the album are played in drop D tuning, never used by LP before, even if there are still a few song in LP signature drop Db tuning. Every single member of the band has evolved: lead guitarist Brad Delson now play more complex parts and also put a few solos in the album, simple but tasty; drummer Rob Bourdon abandoned playing just simple rock patterns to move into something with more personality, from fast punk/metal tempos (given up, no more sorrow) to complex patterns (the little things give you away), bass player phoenix now doesn't always follow the guitar parts and does his best in wake, bleed it out, in betwen and given up. DJ Joe Hahn focused more on the sampling, where he did an eccellent work (shadow of the day, leave out all the rest, in pieces) while he used turntables in just a few songs.

Vocalist Chester Bennington now sings most of the songs alone, while covocalist and MC Mike Shinoda raps only in two songs, Bleed It Out (which features the old LP vocal formula rap+singing) and Hands Held High, he also focused more on vocal harmonies and sings lead vocals on In Between. Lyrics skip from social and political issues to love, hate and fear. Both Shinoda and Bennington have significantly improved since Meteora.

I think this record shows Linkin Park's true potential as a band. Not everybody will love this album but we know, after two similar albums change is needed. LP understood it and consequently moved in this direction If it was stolen I would definitely buy it again. Now we wait late 2009 for LP's forth studio album. Keep on rocking guys!

thesecondman
    Flariduh
    jahyarain wrote: i never really cared 4 them but my daugther was watching the video 4 "Shadows" and, hey, a good melody is a good melody (of course, i realized later it's almost exactly the same as "With or Without You"), but she made me a copy of the disc and i must say it's one of the most solid records i've heard in a long time (having Rick Rubin producing probably didn't hurt any). and comparing Chester 2 Maynard is silly. Maynard is monotone. i like him, but it's true. Chester is more in the leauge of Dennis Lyxcian back in his Refused days. ask any vocalist and they'll tell u, screaming (and staying in tune) like Chester is HARD AS HELL!
    I hate when people do this. NO. Linkin Park does not and NEVER has screamed. If you dont know what screaming is look up some death metal bands. Even metalcore has screams. This does not. Its simply a vocal raspiness.
    HGF
    0... 0!!!!! man, what is this? I used to like them a lot, just the Hybryd Theory
    gareno
    when i listened to this album for the first time i was very disappointed and i still am today, i think lp just took a step (which was the right thing to do) but unfortunately in the wrong direction, this is my opinion so don't bash me
    Shadow_player
    slashzsystem : personally i like hybrid theory better than minutes to midnight
    minutes to midnight sucked too emo there last two albums we brilliant tho XD
    jordie0405
    I cant even describe this album to give it a fair judgement using my own opinion, I know its LP at times, and other times, although its good and it is LP, it just doesnt connect with me like their last 2 records.
    akosiehm
    I have fallen in-love with their first 2 album but when I have this one I I am not kind of disappointed...they change their signature sound from their first 2 albums...but still it's good
    salsawords
    thesecondman wrote: If you look at how much time it took to produce and what the band members say about the album, you can tell that they wanted it to sound this way. They went outside their box on purpose. If you want hybrid theory 3 then write it yourself, because after awhile, it stops being artistic.
    True, but they should still create music at least similar to what they used to sound like. They've become completely mainstream crap. I really tried to like it, but I just couldn't stand it. There's like no rapping or samples, which is what made them interesting in the first place. Sellouts.