Somewhere I Belong review by Linkin Park

• Released: Mar 18, 2003
Linkin Park: Somewhere I Belong

This was the first taste of what the UK would recieve in 2003 from the worlds most popular nu-metal band. The first single from the smash hit album "Meterora". This CD single also contains 2 live performances, Step Up and My December from the Hybrid Theory EP (not the album). As usual, Linkin Park don't do that complicated guitar parts from Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson, quite insultivly easy bass (only playing along with the what the guitars do), good synth work from Jospeh Hann and credible but not truly spectacular Drumming from Rob Bourden.

The lyrics are typically LP, reflective and miserable, always yearning or regreting something, they are quite poetic and clever but there is very little variation in their lyrical content, only Step Up varies in that it describes the rap-rock scene. Chester and Mike deliver the vocals together very well and they compliment eachother well despite their very different styles.

Somewhere I Belong: one of Linkin Parks's most succesful tunes to date but I can't see it, Linkin Park have done so much better (most of both mainstream studio albums). Step Up: this is a very hip hop oriented song, but compensates with heavy riffage and good but slightly gimicky lyrics. My December: the lyrics are bog standard Linkin Park, Yearing for something and regreating something else, it works as a soft song but dosen't work as a live song simply because of how slow it is. Overall, I would not call this is a particularly excellent single, comapred with other songs from Meteora such as Faint and From The Inside. All of these songs are not Linkin Park's best and next to classics like Papercut, Crawling and the mighty One Step Closer are really not up to the standard.