Firecracker review by Lisa Loeb

• Released: Nov 11, 1997
Lisa Loeb: Firecracker

Lisa Loeb is know for her acoustic shadowed songs and the truthful occurences she sings about. Nothing is different in her sophomore album "Firecracker" with it's stripped but meaningful songs. She sings with always an acoustic guitar somewhere, which she plays evidently. This album seems to be very personal to Lisa. There is even an occasional woodwind in there also! The guitar goes from simple chord progressions to decent-paced picking. Something girls these days can't do.

Lyrics, that is what drives a song isn't it? Or is it the music that drives the song? I beg to differ on this. Lisa Loeb's lyrics on "How" are seemingly untouchable. "Didn't come this far for you to make this hard for me/and now you want to ask me how/How does your heart beat?/Why do you breathe?/How does your heart beat?/Why do you breathe?" she sings with amazingly perfect acoustic guitar and vocals on it. The singing is superb, not much range but you don't have to have "range" to be able to sing. She sings well on this album. The lyrics go with the music like brother and sister.

It is a good album but, it lacks some consistentcy as she switches to upbeat songs to skip beat songs to slow songs too much. "I Do," "How," and "Firecracker" are the standout tracks on the album. Lisa Loeb is one of the overshadowed artists that we have forgotten.