Catching A Tiger Review

8.4
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Catching A Tiger Reviewed by: StarsFallForMJ, on september 21, 2010

Sound: Lissie's sound is reminiscent of Stevie Nicks earlier albums. She has a very distinctive and strong voice, that fits in well with the folk-rock songs on this, her first, album. She says of her music; "It's pretty direct. And I'm direct; I'm not hiding anything. I don't really know what or why or who I am, but I don't know how to not be how I am. Her music is, no frills, no gimicks, just pure and honest. It consists of maily acoustic and electric guitar based tracks, although a few (namely 'Bully' and 'Oh Mississippi') are piano based. Drums and percussion are also pretty heavy on this record and the tracks are well-crafted and produced. Overall the album has quite a 70's country feel to it, with the exception of the tracks 'Stranger' and 'Loosen The Knot' which are both leaning towards the more 'poppy' end of the musical spectrum. // 8

Lyrics: Lissie is obviously a very talented songwriter. She manages to mix some extremely powerful, and ridiculously catchy songs with highly emotional ballads; such as 'Bully'. 'Everywhere I Go' is, by far, the most touching of songs, for me; with her singing lines such as 'I don't see clearly can't feel nothing no, Can't you hear me? '. Her voice is very strong on this track too. The use of a strange little electronic sound on 'Worried About', was slightly unnecessary and out of place on this album. It doesn't add anything and most definately does not fit with her sound. Although, this song was not the weakest on the record. That, for me, would have to be 'Stranger'. Again, I don't feel it adds anything to the album, and it sounds slightly Fun Fair like. It doesn't have the same depth as the rest of the album. The opening line, 'I thought you said that you were single, so what's that thing hanging around your finger' sounds too commercial, and this theme continues throughout the song. The melody and the drum beat are confusing and there are some strange vocals going on near the end, which don't quite make sense! However, the rest of the tracks are very well written and relatable. For example, the third single from the album, 'Cuckoo', talks about her being 'in love with being defiant'. It is an honestly written track, with a fun melody that is sure to be jammed into your head for the rest of the day! // 7

Overall Impression: I like this album. It's a really strong first effort, and shows off her talent excellently. She has taken her, essentially, soul voice and managed to fit it into pop music and the recent folk revival. I would recommend this album to anybody, its a great collection of tracks. Each of which could be a single. Some of the tracks have a lot of production, but it works! I'm looking forward to any further efforts from this talented singer. // 8

Comments