Throwing Copper review by Live

• Released: Apr 19, 1994
Live: Throwing Copper

Live is a band that went against the flow of the dominant grunge scene by creating softer, more listenable music than its average mainstream competition. On this album, Live displays their greatest musical performance, in terms of it's other albums. Throwing Copper is not as heavy as it's predicessor, Secret Samadhi, but the band rocks with modern rock hits "Lightning Crashes", "Selling The Drama", "All Over You", and "I Alone".

Ed Kowalczyk sings his heart out on the hits "Lightning Crashes" (which stayed at #1 on the Mainstream Charts for 10 weeks) and "I Alone", as well as virtually every song on the album. It is easy to see why Live has sold over 13 million albums to datefrom this album alone.

The group supplies the hits, the hooks, and the results (8 million albums later). Just about every track is refreshing and foreshadowing of the fall of grunge by the late '90s. This is the multi-platinum album that defines Live as the powerhouse they were in the grunge-dominated '90s.

thedeadcow
    Throwing Copper was followed by Secret Samadhi. Mental Jewellery was the album that came before Throwing Copper.
    tokenjcat
    This was the album that defined my growth from adolescence to semi-adulthood. Before Throwing Copper, I loved and listened to all types of music but after hearing this album...then re-hearing this album...then not removing the CD from the player for weeks...rock was the only music I could tolerate. Live introduced me to modern and classic rock in a way that I wasn't able or willing to hear before. Even now when Lightning Crashes comes on the radio, I crank it as loud as my wife will allow and halt all conversation until Ed stops feeling it coming back again. The Beatles changed music; Nirvana's Nevermind changed rock music; Live - Throwing Copper changed music for me.