Vivid review by Living Colour

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
Living Colour: Vivid

I can't believe no one has reviewed this album at all. Well, Living Colour, who is still one of my favorite bands today, has always been a "funk metal" staple since they released their debut album "Vivid" nearly 20 years ago. In my opinion, "Vivid" is a classic Living Colour record to date. You gotta love the songs like "The Cult of Personality", "Funny Vibe" and "Glamour Boys", they're all classics and worth listening to as well. Vernon Reid's guitar sounds are awesome and Muzz Skillings' bass sounds are kinda awesome too, but funky like Stanley Clarke, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea, Primus' Les Claypool and then-Suicidal Tendencies' Robert Trujillo. You see I didn't know who Living Colour was until the day I saw MTV play the video of "The Cult of Personality", then I bought the album around '88 or '89.

I don't see whether the lyrics on this album are really bad or not. They're just quite what you'd expect of a band featuring African musicians, but in any roundabout way the lyrics are quite memorable and some are not. My personal favorite song for lyrics would have to be "The Cult of Personality", because I find that the lyrics very interesting about life, history, society and whatever Corey Glover was saying about in the song. If you listen to "Funny Vibe", you could also hear the Public Enemy duo, Flavor Flav and Chuck D, sing in the song.

I might compare this album to anything by Fishbone, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 24-7 Spyz, Primus, Faith No More or Jane's Addiction. Really, "Vivid" is a classic release and shows a glimpse of the greatness to come in the band's future of their career. You should also check out it's follow-up "Time's Up" and the "Biscuits" EP as well, I don't think they're also classics, but they're still a great releases. Living Colour is just one unique example of a band that makes their music funkier. If the CD copy was lost, I could buy another, but don't worry, I always take good care of my CDs.

beneharris
    6stringz89 wrote: thats a pretty racist comment about the lyrics
    no its not. don't be dumb