Conceived In Fire review by Living Sacrifice

• Released: Sep 24, 2002
Living Sacrifice: Conceived In Fire

In terms of sound, this band is kind of an Oxymoron. They are Christian but play a sort of death metal. I would describe their sound as Metallica with the vocalist (Bruce Fitzugh) screaming/growling. I showed this to someone at my school and they said it was like Slipknot. If it is, then this is certainly a better alternative. I would recommend this to almost anyone who likes pretty heavy music.

The lyrics are pretty hard to understand most of the time, with Bruce's "death metal" voice. If you read the lyrics, though, they are actually pretty well-written. "Symbiotic" (my favorite song) is about how we need God in our lives. "Imminent War" is about the middle east's hatred for Israel, (Is coexistence futile?), and "Reach For The Sky" has an interlude where the percussionist and 2nd vocalist expresses his love for God.

I've heard people compare this band to Slipknot and old Metallica, and I'm pretty sure those are right. The best songs are "Symbiotic," "Send Your Regrets," "Ignite" and "Distrust." I love Bruce's awesome voice and the great riffs in many of the songs. Rocky Gray, the lead guitarist, plays unbelievable solos on par with Kirk Hammett of Metallica. The only thing I don't like are the percussionist's vocals on every song except "Symbiotic." If it were stolen, I would try and hunt down whoever stole it. If it were lost and I had money, I would buy it again.

ice_wiz
    Lets face it, Jesus just plain rocks!! No matter what you say, God can influence death metal.
    ChurchPunk
    I agree with ya, ice_wiz. That is very true! And this band rocks, especially their first three albums, witch were more along the thrash/death line. There newer more metalcore (more like metalcore played in a very metal style) still rocks. Love this band!
    Stonewall X
    I've only heard "Ignite" off this album (I've heard a couple of their other songs off other albums), but it's amazing and I'm going to get this CD! And it's "which", not "witch" when used in that context.