Living Sacrifice review by Living Sacrifice

• Released: Jun 15, 1999
Living Sacrifice: Living Sacrifice

Living Sacrifices first album, titled Living Sacrifice, came out in 91, and was totally influenced by the thrash metal scene. Their biggest influence of the time was another band called The Crucified, they are in the same vein and have a simalar sound. They have some killer guitar solos, I am big on guitar solos and this CD delivers, back to the time when metal was still all about musicianship. The second half of the CD in particular has some really intense solos. Beautiful. The dual guitar work of Bruce Fitzhuge and Jason Truby are incredible. Yes, I know Jason Truby is in POD now, but this is him in a diffrent style altogether, he shows his real playing ability on this disk. There on/off soloing and the way they compliment each other on guitar is cool. Their are some sweet metal riffs, especially on tracks like "Obstruction", and the band is just tight. Lance Garvin, the drummer, dosent really work as fast as he does on the other Living Sacrifice albums (especially the death metal ones), but there is still sweet drumming patterns and some heavy stuff on this album. And this thrash is still just cool.It just sounds good, so if you like bands like Slayer, Deliverance, and others in that style, this is a nice old-school thrash realease. Pick this up on the internet somewhere.

Living Sacrifice is a Christian band, make no mistake. I really respect them for there fearless claims to faith and the fact that they lost lots of respect and fame they definitly would have had had they ventured into the secular metal scene, so often bands that are Christian just get throw into the "rip-off" pile and secular bands of the same style are respected for "great contributions" to the genre, but it really dosent matter. If people don't like the music for the lyrics, well, I guess they are just missing out. That being said, the lyrics are very Christian, but really intellegently written. Like most metal, reguardless of religous beliefs (or lack thereof) the lyrics are poetic, and talk of the evils of the world, and the love of Christ, and also about how hard it can be to live a life of faith. DJ does a really good job on this album with the lyrics, and his sing/shout and bass playing skills are really good. He may not have the best voice, but it is angry without the growling that is on the next two albums he screams on. Very good all together, they really compliment the package.

All in all, this is a great album. Killer solos, great riffs, and just some fun, tightly played metal. Although this was their only thrash realease, it is very well done. It is a fun, energetic album to listen to, and it is just well done. Songs like "Obstruction", "No Grave Concern", and "Anorexia Spiritual" have some nice riffage, and every song has a solo in it, some even have 2 or three. So if you like thrash, this is a worthy album to own.

ChurchPunk
    Bruce did kick DJ's butt in vocals, but for some reason, I really like DJ's style, especially on this album. The death metal ones were kind of weird, but I still like them, allthough I understand why most people dont. I still think LS should go back and re-record their first three albums with Bruce's awesome vocals. That would own...too bad they broke up...yeah, so sorry for posting on my own review, but whatever!