The Infinite Order review by Living Sacrifice

• Released: Jan 26, 2010
Living Sacrifice: The Infinite Order

Living Sacrifice is one of the true forefathers and defining acts of Christian metal today. They stand strong in a scene permeated by whiny metalcore acts with a lack of both conviction and creativity. These guys constantly set a high bar for themselves, and with their latest release, they pass that bar with room to spare. The frontman, Bruce Fitzhugh, lets out vocals that would leave most men with bleeding throats. He and Rocky Gray (former Evanescence drummer) also form a formidable pair on the guitar. Though their riffs aren't as complex as others in the same genre they manage to make them all sound powerful and heavy. Lance Garvin does a magnificent job of approaching the percussion with creativity. You won't find any blast beats (over-used these days in my opinion), but he sets an amazing groove with his use of the toms and likes to utilize things like steel drums into his playing to make it more dynamic. Arthur Green's bass playing, while good, generally isn't very present unless the guitars are more focused on the high end. As far as individual songs go: 01. Overkill Exposure: rapid fire and relentless, good opener, sets the pace for the rest of the album. 02. Rules of Engagement: arguably one of the best songs on the album. Catchy chorus and riffing. 03. Nietzsche's Madness: thrashy intro, good breakdown at 1:40, strong on the drums. One of the stronger songs on the album. 04. Unfit To Love: good guitar intro and riff between verse/prechorus, average song overall, heavier towards latter half. 05. The Training: good guitar interlude at 2:50, atmospheric sounding(interlude), average overall. 06. Organized Lie: chugging intro accompanied by drum fills, followed by good thrash riffs throughout, catchy chorus, good tremolo solo. 07. The Reckoning: hard-hitting intro, good breakdown at 2:20. 08. Love Forgives: good message, but a little boring as far as instrumentation goes. 09. They Were One: excellent chorus, good vocals mixed with good high-end guitar part in the back, breakdown at 1:57. 10. God Is My Home: good dynamics and good song, but it can feel a little long at times. Fadeout at end is a good segue to last song. 11. Apostasy: only song with an actual slow part, good build in the intro, pulls in the listener, middle has an epic feel, drops back down to a serene outro. Good closer. At the end, my main criticisms are that a riff here and there are similar even if the song gives it a different context, and also that they don't have as much of their signature crunch in most of the songs which often adds a good amount of ferocity.

As strong Christians, Living Sacrifice's lyrics are generally based off of their religious beliefs, but there are plenty of messages for the non-Christian as well. "Overkill Exposure" is about how humanity is starting to be numbed by violence, and "Rules of Engagement" is about the hopelessness and trauma that soldiers have to endure in the field of battle and the lack of control that they have over their decisions. "Nietzsche's Madness" is sort of a shot to the face of Frederick Nietzsche who claimed that "God is dead". Fitzhugh emphasizes that life has purpose and meaning as opposed to random meaninglessness. "Unfit To Live" is a song against both racism and abortion. The rest of the songs are more heavy on religious affiliation. To avoid anti-religious flaming, I'll just say that the material in these songs is excellent, and if you want to understand the Christian message/lyrics that they portray, you should look them up. The focus of the album seems to be an address to atheism and secular humanism. Bruce Fitzhugh's growling vocal ability is definitely a focus on this album. His vocals while violent and gravely, are still able to be understood to the discerning ear. As far as clean singing goes, Fitzhugh does not do much if any at all. He is vocally backed on a few tracks, most notably by David Bunton of The Showdown on "Rules of Engagement" and "They Were One". The instrumentation complements the vocals and songwriting very well.

In terms of what Living Sacrifice sounds like, it is hard to compare to any one band, but they are similar to Sepultura with a little dash of old-Slayeresque thrash in a song here and there. The songs that you should hear from this album would be "Rules of Engagement", "Nietzsche's Madness", "Organized Lie", and "They Were One". The best part of this album to me is the catchy riffs that they have in most of the songs and the thrash sections. The worst part to me is the lack of the defining crunch they have had in their other recent albums, but they make up for that in other areas. I bought a digital copy of this, but let's I did have a physical copy, I would definitely buy it again, assuming I couldn't manage to hunt down the perpetrator. I definitely recommend this for any self-respecting metalhead.

thebigal
    You need to ligten up big time dude. The poeple in this forum are 100% right. It should make no difference that this is a christian band, you should simply accept the music for the music itself. Stop being so dam judgemental, i appriciate music for what it is, i don't care if the artists are christian, white, black, green, blue or grey. As long as the music is good then i will openly enjoy it. This is a music review website not a website for the church. maybe you can leave your christain comments on some christian website were people might give a crap about what you have to say. meanwhile i am going to buy this album, because it seems a worthwhile listen.
    millarso
    EpiExplorer wrote: jimmy-moto wrote: Just because they're a christian band doesn't mean that you have to be christian to like them. Why must the word CHRISTIAN be added to the sentence "I definitely recommend this for any self-respecting metalhead"? Generally, metal is a non religion, mostly anti-religious and very non-conformist. We have a lot of dignity that goes with it. Add 'christian elements' to the music and it ruins the whole idea (nothing against the people in the bands, just the music). Its as absurd as UnBlack Metal.
    Surely you can't be serious. You realize you're talking about a musical genre don't you. A SOUND. The music is simply that. It is the artist behind it that makes the idea. I'm a Christian sure, but I listen to them because I love the music. Don't turn this into a religion thing. It's a music review, not a band ideals review. By the way, the name unblack metal is somewhat absurd. Also, do you really think me or the band really gives a damn about what Brixton Academy thinks, as if you were their spokesperson. They play mostly in front of secular audiences anyways. If they got booed its because the crowd is full of people who can't see music past the religion.
    EpiExplorer
    I definitely recommend this for any self-respecting metalhead
    DestinDoom
    I really just started getting into this album, it's quite good. I didn't know they were Christian until I read this review, but that's actually pretty cool, it's the first Christian metal band I've heard that I've actually liked.
    jimmy-moto
    Mellatronix
    EpiExplorer
    Mellatronix wrote: its funny how every single comment about a christian metal band is always about christianity
    Bet you dont laugh much.
    millarso
    On that note, I might have to do more reviews on some REAL Christian metal bands (sorry The Devil Wears Prada). There's a lot of talent there that gets passed up.
    justinb904
    Great album I thought, definitely better than I was expecting. To those who are/will be getting upset over the whole "christian metal" thing: Get over it, it's just music. We'd all be much better off if we all could just chill out and listen to whatever music we wanted instead of getting into uselessly opinionated arguments. Also it would make the CC's jobs a lot easier.
    blackwater786
    Funny I haven't posted on this website in years, but I suddenly feel the need to. Christianity in metal isn't an issue...it's the whole weird, immature elitism thing that I find to be really sad. Metal isn't a lifestyle - it's a genre of music. Grow up and find something significant to argue about. All that aside, this album is mediocre at best.
    millarso
    Well at least you have an opinion that doesn't revolve around the religion of it. Thank you sir.
    millarso
    Their more recent, previous albums are better than this one. I recommend you check those out. "In Memoriam" has a lot of good stuff on it.
    KroniX
    EpiExplorer wrote: I definitely recommend this for any self-respecting metalhead Any self respecting CHRISTIAN metalhead. I know a good few dozen who'd be turned off in an insant. Dont think a few dozen is nothing, if you played this at the Brixton Acadamy, there would be a lot of booing. Musically speaking though, its okay. Imagine Devildriver playing a song then for some reason having the vocalist from Septic Flesh dolloped on it. Its okay. Just okay. Nothing truly sepctacular.
    Are people still so hating towards other cultures and religions? I thought the world moved on since Hitler Died? You may as well go picket outside an African-American church about how you hate their skin colour.. Stop being so intolerant and dam right racist toward another religion
    DistantUtopia
    epi clearly thinks of himself as the robert christgau of guitar site message boards, so an 'okay' from him means that this is a damn fine album. if you like metal, you will not be disappointed by this.
    Yakisobayum567
    Very true, i think people can pull it off though, like As I Lay Dying (though Tim apparently doesn't believe in God anymore) and most people these days representing "Christian Metal' these days, are nothing but Hardcore bands, so in the end, unless you look really hard, there isn't really a whole lot of people promoting "real" Christian Metal. These are one of the only guys i know who play it.