Sick review by Loaded

• Released: Apr 6, 2009
Loaded: Sick

Loaded is a different band and a different role for Michael "Duff" McKagan, but it still f--king rawks! Sick is a little bit punk rock, a little bit glam and a whole lotta Hollywood rawk. It's not G N' R redux, either. McKagan takes this opportunity to expose his influences and his talent that span beyond either of his other bands. Granted, he is able to do just that because of his prior associations, but he proves that he's a capable axe-slinger, vocalist and frontman, and he doesn't stray to far from what you would expect from an original member of one of the most important and influential bands of the past twenty years! Licks, leads and riffs are the hallmarks of Sick. Even though McKagan is the band's obvious selling point, he's assembled a rag tag group of young turks who more than get the job done. The hair-on-fire drumming and Sick's general, hot 'n bothered aura set the stage for a down and dirty good time. Loaded sounds like a band that's just stormed out of the garage and the basement and is ready to get into the tiniest packed club on Sunset. In a way, what's old is new again, but with the benefit of hindsight, since the record is efficient and stuffed with structured songs that go the verse-chorus-verse route.

With songs titled "Sleaze Factory" and "Flatline," you know what you're in for. Sure, there are references to the seedy underbelly of the rock and roll lifestyle, which is to be expected given McKagan's background and experience. His voice is a bit nasally and has some of the same timbre as W. Axl Rose, but for the most part, McKagan can carry a tune adeptly.

While many rock critics and historians will argue about Guns N' Roses being greater than the sum of it's parts, such formulas don't apply with Loaded. McKagan's making a rowdy racket with a bunch of hungry dudes who play like their lives depend on it. McKagan has been there, done that and bought the t-shirt, so he's got nothing to prove. That's what makes Loaded a passion project that fires on all pistons and moves with the unbridled energy of a 13-year-old on a non-alcoholic cocktail of Red Bull and Pixi Sticks! G N' R has millions of diehards who remember the pre-Chinese Democracy glory days. While Loaded and Sick aren't a throwback or a "tribute" to that time gone by, all of the things that band's leader experienced in that time frame certainly impact the end result that is Loaded. It's a fun, fast, dirty, sweaty record. And that's how the rock hounds like it.

Jugulator_cro
    Compact Discs: Gun N' Roses and Velvet Revolver bassist Duff McKagan takes center stage as the vocalist and guitarist with Duff McKagan's Loaded. Fix. Nao
    BoonMcNougat
    The drumming is excellent for this album. It's pretty amazing that it stands out above the rest. Mother's Day also has to be one of the best slower rock songs in recent times.
    billyf93
    Plus he plays lead guitar,
    he doesnt actually play lead, which is good cuz then its more of a band and not just him. in the webisodes the lead guitarist (mike) mentions how this band is just like his highschool band which is great to know that theres no pressure and there having more botherd about having fun and making music than money i love this album btw
    gee-tar-tom
    i just downloaded this album,and as much as i love duff, this album was shit in my opinion. All the songs sound the same and end the same! Even the guitar parts sound the same in every song, except for Mothers Day which is acoustic for part of it, and that sounds shit too.
    crazyhaircut94
    Is it worth getting for someone who ain't a GNR or VR fan? Sounds good, but still not sure if it's worth 15$.
    Darkoblivion319
    I'll definatley buy this Duff is awesome! I doubt he's the most talented singer, but him and Izzy had to sing lead on some covers while axl was throwing his fits during the UYI tour and there were no riots so he must be ok. Plus he plays lead guitar, judging from his bass skills thats something no one should miss.
    Lethal Dosage
    datzach wrote: i'll buy it Duff is great at bass and I've never heard him sing
    I have hes got a cool voice you can hear him in some of GNR's older live videos.
    fishbass
    Awesome, I love Duff. still prefer Izzy's solo stuff though, some is better than GNR.
    TheEsupremacy
    I agree with everybody else. This is a killer rock cd. I like this better than Velvet Revolver. Nicely played Duff. Keep it up!
    slashhudson977
    Duff well done on an awesome album, country mile better than dark days, and that wasn't half bad!
    pawnshopguitars
    This...is...awesome. Seriously people, I love this record. I would highly recomend it to a rock fan!