Mercury review by Longview

• Released: Apr 26, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Longview: Mercury

I first heard a longview song on the compilation CD "Festival", and I absolutely loved their song "When You Sleep". This took them 3 years to write, but hell, it was worth it. it has a pumping guitar riff that makes you want to bash your head all night, and a relieving verse that slowly builds back up to that simple but amazing riff in the chorus once again. This song is ace, and when I saw their album on offer for 3.99, I thought why not? For that price it was ok, but not for anything more. On the whole, their songs are a dirgy and failing rip off of coldplay that has no catchiness, no energy and in many of the songs, no apparent chorus.

Worse than the music. In nearly all the songs, each verse is exactly the same as the first, and most of the songs have about 25 words tops. The singer, Rob's voice is tuneful and angellic and fitting with the music, but that isn't much of a compliment to him when you listen to the album. In their first single "Further" they've even resorted to bible-bashing, which drives you crazy, especially as just about all they say through the song is "God's Love Will Save Our Lives" and somethig or other "Shining Bright". A 4 yearold could write better lurics that these guys.

Overall, a pretty shoddy album. the only good-ish songs are further (embarrassingly, yes) can't explain, nowhere (not a bad guitar on this one actually) and of course when you sleep. If you can download When You Sleep, I would, but don't bother buying the album unless it's less than 3 quid.