Liberation Transmission review by Lostprophets

• Released: Jun 27, 2006
Lostprophets: Liberation Transmission

At first listen, I was personally disappointed with the direction the band had taken. I loved Start Something and was hoping they'd taked some of the more creative aspects af that record and amped it up a bit. However, they took the opposite route. The song structures are more conventional. I heard "Rooftops" on the radio and liked it a lot for the fact that it had such a great, singable melody. As I listened to the record more, however, I realized that that is a trait that runs throughout the whole record and makes it more enjoyable. I think it's what pulls the whole album together, especially on tracks such as "A Town Called Hypocrisy". Also, there are some cool harmonies that are put to use, as well as more backup singing (Can't Catch Tomorrow). As soon as I got past the fact that it wasn't really like "Start Something" and that it went the "poppy" route, I realized it had much more potential than the initial response. My favorite tracks on the album are "Everyday Combat," "A Town Called Hypocrisy," "Rooftops," and "Can't Catch Tomorrow."

The lyrics of this record pretty much possess the same attitude that was present on the last albums, except softened a little. Also, more "broken heart/breakup" stuff that we're a little too used to is there. Most of it doesn't bother me at all, except the last track "Always All Ways." Personally, this song makes me sick and doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. Some parts of other songs have similar lyrics, but they're not really that bad as long as you're willing to overlook them.

As I said before, Start Something is personally my favorite Lostprophets album, but this is not a disappointment. The group still has their same charm, you just have to get used to the changes. If you listen carefully, you can find that thought was actually put into the songwriting. I love the strong melodies and the guitar solos (which are very enjoyable and flashy). If this was stolen or lost, I would probably spend my money on something else and burn a new copy. But if I couldn't burn it, I would consider buying it again.

[NIN]_ROCK!
    You guys should try to forget about those pointless "Emo/Sellout" labels, really! They're different, definitely true, but I must admit that this new album grew on me after a while! Ian's voice is better, the drum work is pretty good and the bass/guitar combination works out in almost every song. The lyrics are more sophisticated and simple at the same time. At least they actually say something ("4 AM Forever", "For All These Times Son, For All These Times" and "Always All Ways" are all very deep and have some nice metaphors on the background). For a "new" musical experience, I'd recommend this album to everyone, give it a try and don't just throw it away after listening to it a single time!
    ffaf_kick_ass
    rooftops maybe an average song but it sounds even better wen ur blasting it out the stereo in the car when ur driving along haha! it took me a while to adjust to a less heavier lostprophets but the more you listen to it the more it gets better
    BumOffBarney
    checked. Narfdor: 'WE NEED TO UNITE AGAINST THE RAP AND RnB EVILNESS' Grow up. If you really have that big of a problem with it, take it to the forums.
    Learn_to_fly
    You know, with the comment page and all, there are gonna be a lot less reviews... or maybe that's what UG was going for.
    LSPapercutAP
    trando wrote: c'um on man. theres nothing wrong with the album. i like old lp, but i like this cd to so far. you people are to "oh its to this, its to that." who cares if its more pop or emo or punk or whatever. grrr... anyways, its good music, fun, up beat, emo, but its theirs. (any lp fans who start to dislike the band cuzza this album ought to be ashamed of yourself... *shakes head*) ^Whoever wrote this is exactly rite! Who cares that they went a little softer thier lostprophets! they are awsome!!!!!
    mattyadams
    I have only heard 'Rooftops' but by reading these reviews it sounds like the rest of the album is as soft and repetitive with basic lyrics. In my opinion they are not themselves anymore, they used to be a bit skater with maybe a little bit emo but now they all look the same as everyone else. However im not sure its entirely their fault cus i recon the record company has shaped them in some ways. So im not getting the new album but i will continue to listen to their old ones.