Start Something review by Lostprophets

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Lostprophets: Start Something

So the welsh wonders are back but does this neccessarily mean they're back with a sound that earns them the title best band in the world? You better believe it. The fans like me that have waited so long for this album won't be dissapointed. Admitedly, Start Something has been hyped up so much that we all began to think that this album better had be as good as the boys have said to avoid them fading into post-hardcore nothingness. And my friends...this album has lived up to the hype. from songs as thrashing and totally mind blowing as 'We still kill the old way' and 'We are Godzilla and you are Japan' (with possibly the best guitar riff known to man) to the gentler side of the album with songs such as 'Goodbye tonight' and 'Sway'. Yes they truly have excelled themselves. Coming from a dedicated longtime fan of lostprophets, I thought that they could get no better....boy was I wrong.

Ian has shown his talent as a vocalist who can scream his way through songs like the good old days of the fake sound of progress but can also sing like a man that truly knows his nuggets. And in the case of 'Sway', sing high pitched and still sound damn good! He has truly progressed and his experience shows through his lyrics and singing style. As he sings in 'We still kill the old way'...'see it all I see but I still kill, still kill the old way' is implying that the boys from Pontypridd are still doing whatever the hell they want to. They are still writing and playing from the heart for the fans they love so much. And lets not forget Jamie's amazing backing vocals, Without them in my opinion, this album would be less of the brilliance it is. With his incredible ability to scream and sing so beautifuly that add that spark that makes these collection of gems so thunderous and majestic.

Picking songs that shine through from the rest on this album is near impossible. As it is so varied there is something for every mood. 'we still kill the odl way' is a blistering, roaring start to the album and as the album progresses different sounds show through. The singles 'Last train home' a purely beautiful song and the thunderous 'burn burn' are perfect for jumping around the living room to where as songs such as 'Our last summer' are perfect sing alongs with that emo twinge of emotion. 'We are Godzilla, you are Japan' though stand out as the heaviest and rawest song on the album that will have you going mental at the gig. There is nothing to hate on this album, just an album full of raw emotion. A truly amazing second album that shows that the prophets boys have progressed incredibly well since the fake sound of progress with a sound that is clearly more defined and as you listen to this album you can tell that this is the sound that the boys always wanted. This is the Lostprophets at their very best. They deserve nothing but praise. It shows that taking a little bit longer to produce this album and making the fans wait can make a difference. I'm not the best at writing reviews but this album is the best album of 2004 if not ever and I only have 1 piece of adivce for you guys...buy this album. You NEED it. I already have my copy from Australia, but I wil be buying it when it comes out here in the UK to! Y? Because the Prophets need as much recognition and praise for this album worldwide. So lets do it 4 Lostprophets. Best band in the world? I think so.