Start Something review by Lostprophets

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Lostprophets: Start Something

It's clear from this album that Lostprophets' sound has really matured. "The Fake Sound of Progress", whilst still being a good album, sounded more like a group of guys making noise. "Start Something" is the next logical step, with the same group of guys wanting to do something with that noise. It's a lot more varied than the last. There's elements of emo, hardcore, punk and perhaps even a slice of pop-punk, blended with their distinctive nu-metal sound. There's also the differing interludes between each song, which add to the atmosphere, as does the inclusion of orchestral instruments in songs like "Make A Move", and the piano at the end of "Start Something". It's clearly a more mainstream album than it's predecessor, but it's one that actually justifies the hype.

The lyrics on nu-metal records aren't generally known for their poetic or witty style. Thankfully, on this album, they're not so bad. Apart from the occasional blatant attempt at forced rhyming ("Their apathys not affecting us, maybe they ride on a different bus"), the lyrics are generally pretty good. Ian's voice has also matured greatly since the last album, and he can now sing and scream exceptionally well, which is complimented by the music.

This is a great album. No doubt about it. At times, there are flaws, yes. But show me an album where there isn't. This is in every way as good as "The Fake Sound of Progress", and in many ways better. It's more varied, better produced and generaly a lot more mature. These days, you can't help but hear Lostprophets and Funeral for a Friend in the same sentence, and both bands don't sound too dissimilar after this album, which can only be a good thing. Standout tracks include "Make A Move", "We Still Kill The Old Way", "Last Train Home", "Burn Burn" and "I Don't Know", but the whole album is of a high quality. The only thing I dislike about this album is the lack of lyrics on the sleeve. Only a minor point, I know, but it would have been nice. It's definitely worth buying, although fans of the old sound might be disappointed.