Start Something review by Lostprophets

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Lostprophets: Start Something

The sound of this album is overall very good. It isn't as 'nu metal' as FSOP, but it makes up for it with those anthemic riffs and improving vocals. I was disappointed vocally with LP's last outing, but it seems like Ian Watkins has finally got his voice in check and it just makes the album come together so much better, in my view. The guitar work is good, with those catchy riffs and explosive chorus'. The rhytmn section is very tight and compact with the drumming staying simple but effective and the bass doing its usual job.

The lyrics are extremely varied. At points they are excellent but others are really quite bad. At times the forced rhymes made me cringe, an example of this was during the opening track "we still kill the old way" it goes "Their apathys not affecting us, maybe they ride on a diferent bus" now how that line ever made it into such a high profile album I will never know. Also the lines "I know it wasnt your own fault that you never made it out of your vault" "It takes a lot to get home but its ok when the light is always on" "With you its never good enough because you want the stuff that could change your future." It's not exactly classic lyrics, but there are still some good moments within the album, but just be cautious that its not going to be anything that will blow you over.

This album is a solid sequel to FSOP, but does lack those quality few songs that you will never forget. But still songs like "Last Train Home" and "burn Burn" were huge anthems which not only propelled the band to superstardom in the UK but also the US. I still think that people thinking of buying this cd should opt for Funeral For A Friend, as it is one of the best album I have heard for the past few years. I think that the main downside of this album is in the lyrics, but the band have improved as overall musicians and makes the album better for. If it was stolen I would buy it again as it is worth its place in my record collection.