Start Something review by Lostprophets

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Lostprophets: Start Something

You'll see from the tabs that they've used more conventional tuning here than on FSOP, and it does take away slightly from what made the band's sound in it's own right great. Having said that, most of the songs have more melody, and the tuning even allows for a solo this time around! Less "nu-metal", more "commercial" some would say. The vocals are more melodic also, but I was very fond of the screaming from FSOP on tracks like the handsome life, and still laughing, (I think it was that one). It seems that the band's sound has lost some of it's uniqueness, but when you listen to the album you can't find fault, as the new, less dark sound allows for some really unforgetable tunes.

Again, a noticable departure has been made from FSOP, and again the quality suffers just slightly. Much more conventional I guess. The lyrics on FSOP were great, maybe because you couldnt understand them! The odd cliche pops up throughout the album, on tracks like hello again, and last train home. The (keyboard guy's?) screaming is still there on tracks; that line "gotta take control" etc on "A Million Miles" is what makes it the best track on the album.

I have to say that I love this album, and after nearly 2 months of listening to it every day I still can't get enough! The songs just don't wear out. This is because the thrills are not cheap; there are no gratuitously heavy, dumbass riffs; the complex arrangements of the songs mean that you are always finding some new part of a song to love. The single standout track of the album for me is definitely "A Million Miles". Brilliant vocals, guitars, I love the clapping rhythm parts, all the strings, and that violin line near the start, which has a slightly oriental vibe. Also last train home, I dont know, sway, and hello again were memorable. Start something (the song) is great, especially just at the start when it switches instantly from the intro to the verse! If I lost this album I would pay double just to buy it again. My album of the year. Just as a note I'd like to add that I hate the new lostprophets logo, and the album cover design/booklet.