Start Something review by Lostprophets

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Lostprophets: Start Something

I had only heard bits of lostprophets from their first album, "Fake Sound Of Progress," and so I was expecting alot, and I got it. This album is one of the best albums I've listened to and speaks to you. You can tell that theyve decided to concerntrate more on songs rather than interludes on this album, and by listening to the songs you can pick up that they have been planned and thought of carefully and songs such as "To Hell We Ride" flow very well into each verse and chorus. They have definatley moved to a more mainstream sound of this album with songs such as "Last Summer" but also anthemtic songs such as "Last Train Home" and "Burn Burn." Both guitarists have decided to go to a Drop D rather than C and these songs and the guitar work espeically by lead Lee Gaze has improved, just by looking at the ending solo on "I Don't Know."

I have a mixed feeling about the lyrics. They have seemed to have change their minds on what they write about in these songs. Compared to the underground and deep lyrics of "Fake Sound Of Progress" they seem more simple and mainstream, on such songs as "We Still Kill The Old Way." But this album does still carry the same message they have always wanted to carry, they have just had a different experience on life. Songs such as "Last Train Home" with the line "to never fall in love again" can relate to most people, while on songs such as "Last Summer," relates to more leaving friends behind. Also "Burn Burn" talks about the manufactured bands such as "Busted" who have somewhat ruined the underground scene and image of rock. This album has a more personal feel to it rather than how life can get you down. The combonation of singing and screaming is also very good but I would have liked to have seen more or just the same as compared to their last album, but in a whole, singing by ian seems more stronger.

This album made Lostprophets my favourite band, who I cant stop bragging about to all my friends, if they know that if I want I sound to be played it has to be lostprophets or if I'm singing something its probably lostprophets lol. This album though different to their last one, has something for everyone, from soft dance songs "Goodbye Tonight" to heavy metal riffs "We Are Godzilla, You Are Japan." Though critisim can be seen with mainstream riffs, they still seem to appeal to their old underground fans. I saw them live in Wolverhampton and they were unberliveable, and they still kept there underground presense at the bigger venues and kept the crowd at their feet, a band which has to be judged on their live performance before critisim, if I lost this cd, I wud defonitley without question go by it.