Start Something review by Lostprophets

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
Lostprophets: Start Something

Where to start. The sound hasn't changed much since the last album, with the exception of less hip-hop, turntables and scratching effects. The music sounds more like a heavier version of Incubus, some good nu metal. There are different sounds on this album, from hard rock (We Still Kill the old Way, To Hell we Ride, Burn Burn), to metal (We are Godzilla, You are Japan, Start Something) to more light, heart-felt songs (Goodbye Tonight, Last Train Home, Last Summer). I also think Goodbye Tonight has a hint of electro if you listen carefully. On some of the songs, there are added samples on the end, which drags them on a bit and can get a bit annoying on songs like Hello Again and A Million Miles. But overall, I don't think there is a song on this album with a bad sound, they are all good in their own right.

The lyrics on this album and the whole general theme is about (as Lostprophets themselves describe) is about stop sitting around and saying your going to do something but don't do it, get out there and turn your life, Start Something. There are heavy lyrics, on We are Godzilla, You are Japan and there are more calm, good time lyrics on songs like Last Summer. The lyrics on Last Train Home are about feeling good for who you are. I think Ian Watkins voice has matured a considerable amount on this album, when you compare it to the sound on the Fake sound of Progress record.

It's hard for me to decide which album is better, Start Something or Liberation Transmission. Both albums easily overshadow the fake sound of progress, and I know a lot of people would argue that Liberation Tranmission is a sell-out record, but everybody changes and Liberation Tranmission is a great for what it is. But this CD is classic Lostprophets and what they are at their best. The best songs are: Last Train Home, Goodbye Tonight and Last Summer, if your looking to download some songs instead of buying the album download those. This album is amazing, I would order 2 copies if I lost it again because I couldn't go a day without listening to it.

julian.v.hansen
    We Still Kill The Old Way, Make A Move, Last Train Home, I Dont Know are probably the standouts for me, im a songwriting type guy WHO appreciate good melodies over a lot of riffs and stuff. These four songs are among the strongest modern rock songs i´ve heard. 8/10 from here. If there were more songs on the aforementioneds level songwriting wise, it would score higher.
    aebers79
    Livvo wrote: the guy on the cover is justin timberlake
    Actually, its Ian
    bowdowntomono
    i agree with most of the last three comments EXCEPT for this: I reckon this is their best, followed by liberation transmission then FSOP. Their new album sounds as though its going to be even better!
    Smootfroothy
    Start Something = very good album although more "mainstream" some absolutely quality riffs particularly we are godzilla