The Betrayed review by Lostprophets

• Released: Jan 13, 2010
Lostprophets: The Betrayed

I've been waiting for this album to be released with great expectation. I've always loved Lostprophets since I heard Last Train Home, but I must admit that Liberation Transmission was somehow disappointing for me (don't take me wrong, I loved it, but I like the other albums better). It certainly featured some great songs (Everyday Combat or Can't Catch Tomorrow), but, being Start Something the best album (and that's not just my opinion, most Lostprophets' fans will agree, I'm sure), Liberation Transmission was an excessively radical change from their style. One could notice a more mature attitude and sound when listening to it, but it is an undeniable fact that they had went more commercial and poppy. The album was a weird mix of heavy, fast paced songs and kind-of-emo tones. Lots of la-la-la's and do-do-do's that were nice but didn't really fit Lostprophets' style. In short, a great album, but not the best one could expect from Lostprophets. The Betrayed follows up with Liberation Transmission's style, but in certain ways it gets back to the old-school style. Heavy guitars provide some mind-blowing riffs along with good bass lines, the drums are just awesome (Ilan Rubin is a great drummer) and Ian Watkins's singing is as good as usual. Sounds pretty much like Liberation Transmission, but in a way that I can't explain, it sounds just better. Still catchy and a bit poppy, but it doesn't feel like Lostprophets have turned into a sellout band that makes music only to sell lots of CD's. Liberation Transmission somehow brought this feeling with some of its songs, but with The Betrayed this is gone. The new album is heavier, darker, more mature, more like the old Lostprophets if you ask me. Oh, and interludes are back, which I am sure is good news for the old-school style fans.

Just as the music, lyrics have also evolved. Darker, more apocalyptical (as said by the members of Lostprophets themselves) and mature. Not the romantic stuff found in Liberation Transmission. Particularly, I like the lyrics from It's not the end of the world but I can see it from here: "My soldiers march tonight in the city of your dreams This beautiful army are tearing at your seams Down on your knees, cure this disease I'll take it all, everything I see Oh can't you hear the symphony! Behind these walls, we'll watch it fall As our union crumbles into hell"

Again, it's not that I didn't like Liberation Transmission, but The Betrayed is so similar that I had to compare both albums, and fortunately (for those of us who were expecting a great album), The Betrayed gets the biggest score. If I had to choose the songs that deserve special attention, I'd surely say the best are "It's Not The End Of The World But I Can See It From Here" and "A Better Nothin" for their great guitars and vocals, and "For He's A Jolly Good Felon" and "Streets Of Nowhere" for their catchy (I just can't get them out of my head) riffs and calmed down style. But of course, opinions are like asses, everyone has their own, specially when talking about music. Just get the album (if you haven't yet) and judge for yourself, I'm sure that it won't disappoint you.

jbridge90
    Night_Lights
    Seriously though, I've only heard Start Something. Are there songs similar to Sway on other albums? That outro is amazing while high.
    Lostprophets$$$
    MaximusGigantes
    Dstryr/Dstryr and Next Stop Atro City are really good off the album. As for me I also like the cheerful/inspirational Where We Belong, and Dirty Little Heart and Streets of Nowhere aren't too shabby. The rest seems a little dull, but at least it has that epic cinematic-like finish on The Light That Burns Twice as Bright
    Aaron!!
    Lostprophets$$$ wrote: Tigershark2112 wrote: I don't have a problem with emo people as long as they leave me alone, but to correct you, YES emo IS a trend/style. And if you're talking about the actual means of being an emotional boy, all I can say to you is a grow up, quit whining, and be a man. Dude, take your arrogance elsewhere. I'm on about emo for what it actually is, EMOTIVE HARDCORE. Not jet black dyed floppy hair, tight pants and self-harm. THAT IS NOT EMO. If you think it is then you sir are as deluded and uneducated as the masses. Go read up on emotive hardcore and actually listen to some and then try and tell me that Lostprophets even look or sound emo. Until then your point is invalid because you don't even know what you're talking about. No, emo is NOT a trend. Emo is a genre of music, just like metal, just like electro, it doesn't entail a specific dress code. If anyone needs to grow up it's you mate, I'm not whining, I'm complaining about stupid people. That doesn't make me any less of a man, thanks. Oh, and for the record, EMO DOES NOT MEAN EMOTIONAL.
    This guy speaks more sense than the rest of you put together.
    edflinkinp
    I was waiting for Lostprophets' latest album and... I just don't know. I've listened to it a couple of times and the songs don't seem to get in my head. They are forgettable, or I just don't have much memory. I loved Start Something and I even liked Liberation Transmission a lot, but The Betrayed doesn't fill my expectations, I will keep listening to it to see if it grows on me but so far it has disappointed me a bit. I'm not giving up on Lostprophets 'cause they are very talented. By the way, you guys have mentioned Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja and We are Godzilla, You are Japan as great tunes (they are), 'Hello Again' is pretty awesome to me, what do you think about it?
    JD Blue Venom
    When I listened to the first two albums, the songs that instantly caught my ears would keep me listening through it then over years the other songs grow on me therefore liking the album as a whole, but with liberation there were no instant '**** yeah' songs and the good ones like cant catch tomorrow had to grow on me but most of the songs i still find tedious, there just isnt much going on in the songs really, in make a move for example it carries on from an interlude, has an epic intro, the keys are playing strings and other sounds in the background while the guitars do that old prophets thing where one is playing clean/effects and the others doing straight up distorted playing, and cool lyrics/delivery from ian on top of all this and you can paint your own picture to the story of the song... and i never thought much of that song to begin with, i just dont get any feeling of depth and creativity in liberation (save a few songs) and well when they released liberation, they were all over the media with a very flamboyant image that, it being 2006, looked very 'emo' to most people so with an album with formula singing-driven based songs in the fans eyes it was a sell out
    link no1
    i never really liked there first album apart from a few songs. start something was really quite good. also despite it being a huge change in style and an obvious sellout point, liberation transmittion was okay, i like pretty much half of the album but this is a bit meh...i remember them saying they were going to go metal on this album, i remember in an interview when they relesed the cover of davidian that they were going to go in that direction. it might be that they didnt stick to there word and went more sellout, or that i dont like the album in a way, this is more of a sellout than liberation transmition...how many extremely popular bands that have apperard in the last 2 years have the same sound as this album? quite a F***ing lot allthough, im glad they didnt go metal if it was to be like davidian, because that was an extreamly terrible cover
    Night_Lights
    They need to make more trippy awesome songs like 'Sway'. Its really the only song I like by them...and I really like the song.
    ToB17
    iTunes says they're metal, but only Fake Sound of Progress was metal. Start Something was Heavy Alternative Rock, and LT was Pop. This is Rop, or Pock.
    Tigershark2112
    Branado
    Ive been a lostprophets fan for awhile, i diddnt love Liberation Transmission, infact i only liked 4 songs off the album, but i still supported them, but this album is just not up to par at all for them, they could do so much better, i wont be buying it, infact i think all their B-sides would make a far better album
    Zell182
    I saw the video to Where We Belong then switched to another channel and saw Shinobi v Dragon Ninja...the change was pretty radical. Liberation Transmission was decent but it only had a few really good songs so I hope this album is at least somewhere approaching Start Something's goodness.
    kimmiprophets
    I'm going to disagree with some of you. I Love The Betrayed. Yes, some of them don't live up to previous songs, but each album isn't supposed to be the same. I love Liberation Transmission too. They are both epic albums.
    EpiExplorer
    pangy wrote: emo? a genre? when did this happened??
    Rekouz
    This is a really good album. I expected more, and still don't understand why they didn't put songs in the album like "The Dead (Fighting For)" or "Weapon", I love them. My favs from The Betrayed are "It's Not The End Of The World, But I Can See It From Here", "Where We Belong" and "Next Stop Atro City".
    BaHkaTa
    first album was kickass ...second had a couple of good songs but all the oters are total emolike shit!
    pangy
    Annexis
    pangy wrote: EpiExplorer : pangy wrote: emo? a genre? when did this happened?? Bout 1985. Maybe later. But now its a clothing fad too. The people positively commenting this review follow said fad. define emo... pls?
    pangy
    Annexis wrote: pangy wrote: EpiExplorer : pangy wrote: all genre is characterized by melodic musicianship and expressive, often confessional lyrics... what are the distinctive qualities of this "genre" that will differ from other genres?? emo? a genre? when did this happened?? Bout 1985. Maybe later. But now its a clothing fad too. The people positively commenting this review follow said fad. define emo... pls? Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a style of rock music typically characterized by melodic musicianship and expressive, often confessional lyrics. It originated in the mid-1980s hardcore punk movement of Washington, D.C., where it was known as "emotional hardcore" or "emocore" and pioneered by bands such as Rites of Spring and Embrace. As the style was echoed by contemporary American punk rock bands, its sound and meaning shifted and changed, blending with pop punk and indie rock and encapsulated in the early 1990s by groups such as Jawbreaker and Sunny Day Real Estate. By the mid 1990s numerous emo acts emerged from the Midwestern and Central United States, and several independent record labels began to specialize in the style. Thanks to Wikipedia. You can't deny emo is a genre of music. The Grammy Museum even considers emo a genre.
    ToB17
    Next Stop Atro City is good, and Darkest Blue is the only half-decent pop song.
    Lostprophets$$$
    Personally, I've been a HUGE fan of these guys since I was 8 years old, first band I ever listened to and been my favourite band since I first even took an interest to music. Been nearly a decade now, pretty sure it's gonna stay that way for a while too. Anyway, I really don't understand how the self-claimed "true" Lostprophets fans can begin to dislike them just because a band changes style. Accept it or not, but if they did Start Something and The Fake Sound Of Progress again you'd just complain that they're unoriginal and lack musical creativity so they're just recycling the same songs over and over again. That's coming from someone who regards Start Something and FSOP as the greatest albums I've ever heard in my life. Personally, I enjoy the change, I like the fact that I can listen to each album and hear different undertones but still hear the clear Lostprophets sound over it all. They've changed with every album and I've appreciated it, perhaps I'm too broad-minded or perhaps you're all too narrow-minded and just refuse to accept anything that's poppy. There's nothing wrong with catchy songs and singalong choruses. That being said, their heavier songs are my favourites so don't even think of getting the nerve to call me an "emo fag" or whatever. By the way, before you all throw the term emo around because Ian started caring about his hairstyle, I suggest you all learn what emo is, you uneducated fools. Emo has NOTHING to do whatsoever with appearance and doesn't sound like Lostprophets/MCR/Fall Out Boy, go learn about a topic before you throw a term around. ANYWAY, to finish my rant, this album is amazing imho. I love it as much as I've loved every Lostprophets album, which is amazing. I love that they've taken influences from every album they've made and mixed them together for The Betrayed, makes me want to mosh like f*ck and sing along with every song too. Diversity>Monotony. It's not like they're mixing genres that don't even blend anyway, as half of you seem to think they're "all over the place".
    DJ2109
    but it is an undeniable fact that they had went more commercial and poppy.
    OldHairyOne
    Why hasn't the reviewer mentioned the [i]actual[i/] best album, Fake Sound of Progress?
    benbini
    Shinobi vs dragon ninja man, thats a tune
    bowdowntomono
    benbini wrote: DJ2109 wrote: but it is an undeniable fact that they had went more commercial and poppy. too true, i could tell they had sold out with LT just by looking at some of the song titles. Massive fans of their old stuff however, does anyone else reckon that the intro to 'we are godzilla, you are japan' is undeniably chatchy?? Shinobi vs dragon ninja man, thats a tune
    Both of them are absolutely amazing songs. I'd agree with this review. It's definitely not a return to the old style, but they've mixed elements of the old style in with the more poppy stuff. And that is fine by me. By the way, does anyone else find that the interludes just make the album so much better?
    Robert I.
    Lostprophets was ruined for me after Start Something: The Fake Sound of Progress blew me away, and it was just kind of sad when they went in that direction (although Sway is a kickass song). But I have all the respect in the world for these guys, they have tonnes of talent and they master the music perfectly, it's just this new style doesn't really do the trick for me.
    Vortis
    Yeah, I prefer this album to Liberation Transmission, that being said, it's still pretty bad. I'm not appreciative of the new songwriting style. Still some interesting riffs and melodies, but I was very disappointed. And yes, the intro to We Are Godzilla is awesome.
    haz_uk
    this is liberation transmission take 2. their last 2 albums have lacked any sort of identity. it's as if they've set out to butcher as many genres as possble and cram it into 11 tracks in an attempt to be 'diverse'. i mean come on; 'dstryr/dstryr' is an unabashed ratm rip off and 'a better nothing' could be a killers b-side. seriously poor form.
    Vinushka
    Why don't they realise that Fake Sound of Progress was their best album? It made them difficult to classify; were they alternative rock? Nu metal? Post-hardcore? Loads of different styles but they were blended together well. These later albums just sound like bad covers of other bands.
    Shabalaba
    Oh i just remembered how much i loved that song, the ending is amazing.
    DJ2109
    Shabalaba wrote: Oh i just remembered how much i loved that song, the ending is amazing.
    which part of the ending, the like super speedy bit, or the random hip hop bit after the song?
    frnzd
    God knows. This album is just dull. Listened to it on spotify and it's like they're trying to become what they were but maintain their poppy side. Just makes it bland, almost cheesy. Best bits are the interludes. I wouldnt buy it just for those tho lol.
    ppiekoszewski
    To me, this album was a huge disappointment. Just too much pop garbage for songs like "If It Wasn't For Hate..." to redeem. They need to decide what on earth they're trying to do and go with that, rather than try to amalgamate the heavy with the stuff they've been doing. It just doesn't work. I listened to it and had to put on The Fake Sound of Progress when I was through just to remind myself that they were ever any good.
    ToB17
    True, the interludes are better than the rest of it, but most albums need second hearings. The band need to realise that Fake Sound of Progress and Start Something are the reasons we like them, and another mediocre album will blow it.
    Amuro Jay
    Oh man, I forgot this was even coming out. And so soon, too? I'll have to pick this up.
    leg end
    loz4 wrote: One word SHIT
    Yeah I wouldn't go that far but it was no way near as good as I thought, after all, they've spent a very long time on it. I much prefered Liberation Transmission.
    lyonk55
    Hear one song on in HMV the other day and was not impressed. Sounded like stuff from Liberation Transmission, which is not a good thing. I still enjoy The Fake Sound of Progress and most of Star Something though.
    13walace13
    I always get muddled up which song is on which album. So i checked Start Something truely is Brilliant, then the downward fall began
    salamander121
    jbridge90 wrote: I will definitely check this out. Fan of their old stuff, but LT just seemed too poppy with some things. Thanks for the review man.
    You'll be dissapointed...
    Start Something truely is Brilliant
    This. +1
    D_man3981
    Im just a little disappointed out how emo they have gotten. I mean I remember reading in a magazine long time ago their was a tiny article called a town called hypcrocity and in it I cant remember exactly so don't quote me but I think it said during the start something times the front man Ian said were not like the people who spend time and money on our hair we don't really care or something a long those lines but now they have the fully styled emo hair cuts. I miss their old albums which got me out of my backstreet boy phase and put me into rock music and such like that.
    Bozjoarmstrong
    This album lacks direction, meaning and in some parts creativity. I'm really surprised that after 3-4 years, they've come up with one of the worst album openers I've ever heard and a terrible album closer. Only the two singles and Dstryr really stand out for me, songs like A Better Nothing and Dirty Little Heart absolutely stink of filler. Very disappointing.
    davegrohls_tash
    was a massive fan of start something and fake sound' , liberation was terrible and this isnt much better but does have a few redeeming tracks... dstryr is pretty cool and darkest blue is actually more the kind of song i wouldve expected on start something, a good thing in my eyes because an entire album of 'metal' songs would sound pretty shit aswell. does anyone else think this new song structure they follow where there doesnt seem to be much difference between what the two guitars are playing kinda sux? 'specially since ians vocals and lyrics have taken a dramatic nosedive since start something. he just sounds really flat in all these new songs.. anyone?