The Betrayed review by Lostprophets

• Released: Jan 13, 2010
Lostprophets: The Betrayed

Lostprophets have been walking the line between alt-rock and alt-metal for 6 years and The Betrayed stays the course. While it's not the incredibly heavy album that everyone's expected, it certainly does have its moments that'll get you headbanging (see "If It Wasn't for Hate", "Dstryr / Dstryr", and "It's Not the End of the World" for these). And if you wanna get technical, according to the 6 Welshmen, the New Wave-ish interludes are here to segue you from one song to the next. However, on the whole, the four years that people have been waiting for payed off with the kind of album everyone was hoping for. Inspiration from the album has allegedly drawn from Faith No More and Refused, but it seems more like the band has simply solidified its own sound to make it. (A good thing, too, after hearing that the Prophets spent $500,000 their first run to make an album that had trumpets in it.) The song titles and outward portayal of the album sounds like a darker Liberation Transmission, whereas the music brings you back to the Start Something days. Lostprophets have a knack for creating songs that'll get stuck in your head. From the heavy to soft, their music is catchy, but not off-putting enough for you to dismiss them as just another, say, pop metal band. They've got their it-wouldn't-be-Lostprophets-without-an-anthem, "Where We Belong", but also dabble in their punk-ish side with "Next Stop Atro City". And the downturned ballad-y "The Light That Shines Twice as Bright..." is a great closer to the album.

This time around, Ian Watkins brings his lyrics to a darker, more cynical tone. There's even a few instances where profanity is used, which is a first. Nonetheless, some songs are just outwardly brutal, such as the aforementioned "Dstryr / Dstryr": "Destroyer, destroyer. Religion needs a new employer. I've got the rope to hang your Jesus even higher!" Others hide behind a happier sound, like "For He's a Jolly Good Felon", but still remain witty but dark: "Mikey, oh where'd you get those Nikes? 'Cause I know you ain't got the notes to drop, Left alone you'd take the fucking lot!"

The Betrayed doesn't sound like anyone else what it does sound like is Lostprophets, and kudos to them for that. Nowadays, it takes a real talent to be a part of the alternative rock genre and still be known for something. These aren't just "those guys who sing 'Last Train Home' and 'Rooftops'," they're a band who aren't afraid to be who they are, get a little experimental but be comfortable in their own shoes (sound?) at the same time. What I personally love about this album is the heavy beginning to it, and how before you know it, it's mellowed out in the sound that Prophets fans have grown to love. If I could change one thing, I'd say include another 1 or 2 songs that have Jamie Oliver screaming again. Not totally necessary, but hearing it again does bring back memories. However, The Betrayed is such good music that I'd buy the CD again if it was ever stolen or lost. All in all, I'd say that The Betrayed is solid solid music, solid vocals, solid personality. This would be a great place for someone to discover the band, but also is an invaluable collection to a hardcore fan's library.

edflinkinp
    I just wanted to come back here to update my opinion on The Betrayed, the more I listen to it, the more it slowly grows on me.. I'm starting to get to know the songs and what I can say so far is that I'm liking it more than when I listened to it the first time. The Betrayed is better than I thought but NEVER like Start Something.
    tubbsy5
    haz_uk wrote: this is liberation transmission take 2. their last 2 albums have lacked any sort of identity. it's as if they've set out to butcher as many genres as possble and cram it into 11 tracks in an attempt to be 'diverse'. i mean come on; 'dstryr/dstryr' is an unabashed ratm rip off and 'a better nothing' could be a killers b-side. seriously poor form.
    why does everybody think that when i song souunds like a certain thing...how many people are out there writing music? if u have ever wrote ur own music u would know how hard it is, and sumtimes some riffs jus match up with other songs and u didnt even mean to. there were no songs or genres that were butchered on this cd.. I think they did an awesome job on the new cd, many diff things that are very positive...kudos to lostprophets for doing it again, take my word for it im a singer/songwriter.. huge fan of all their cd's including LT...they are obviously doing sumthin right ;P
    maidenrules232
    i didn't really like it when I first lisened to it. dstryr just sounded really stupid the way he kind of half screams in a high voice and stuff but as the album goes on i came buckets haha a better nothing is actually amazing and there are so many like "that's cool" moments whilst you're listening to it and, after i'd listened to it all the way through, i quite liked the heavier songs at the beginning (dstryr and next stop atro city) and they, most definitely need to be played loud to be enjoyed haha. but yeah, sorry this is quite long, hope my opinion interests some of you haha. oh, and as for comparing this to LT, i don't really see it, but all their albums are so different so i like that x
    snow...
    I prefer their more harder rock stuff if you get what I mean. 'Its Not The End of The World', 'DSTRYR/DSTRYR', 'Next stop Atro city".... Anyways you ge tthe idea, I prefer these kind of songs from them.