The Betrayed review by Lostprophets

• Released: Jan 13, 2010
Lostprophets: The Betrayed

First off, the quality of the album isn't what it should be considering the only place I could find it was a leak. Other than that, The Betrayed sounds are relevant to the earlier albums and less poppy than Liberation Transmission. Like Start Something, the album links song to song which gives it a nice flow while listening to it. The album is definitely darker as the band mentioned, but still Lostprophets. The guitar parts seem to be pretty on and work well together. Oliver, on keys, has contributed much more to this album than any other. The melodies are very catchy, and the underlying riffs aren't the same over and over yet they are consistently good.

As usual, Ian Watkins keeps do a certain style of writing. In this album, it seems that his favorite line is "Make Amends" which was used 2 or 3 times as well as in previous albums. Lyrics in AC Ricochet are repetitive, but have a good flow and rhyme scheme. In Dstyr Dstyr, Watkins seems to throw some of his political opinion in. That's new for Lostprophets which shows that the lyrics aren't the same and have new things to add. Watkins screams a bit in the album rather than Oliver doing it in LT. The whole band seems to sing more and it gives the album a fuller sound. Watkins' voice is pretty recognizable and unique, which fits the band well for it has an excellent sound. This was all very on.

The Betrayed proved to be all it was hyped for. As soon as it comes to the US, it will definitely be a hit. I would have to rank it higher than Liberation Transmission, tied with Fake Sound of Progress, but not as good as Start Something. The songs are all very catchy and have new riffs and melodies that vary from the previous records. Every song on the album is unique and easy to separate from the others. As said before, the album links like Start Something which gives you that "I don't want to stop listening" attitude. I could listen to this album for hours on end and still enjoy it. I strongly recommend it to any Lostprophets fan or anyone who wants to give them a try.