The Fake Sound Of Progress review by Lostprophets

• Released: Oct 16, 2001
Lostprophets: The Fake Sound Of Progress

Lostprophets on this album have a very rock/metal kind of feel. Everybody loves the single "Shinobi Vs. Dragon Ninja" but there is more to this cd than that. Take "And She Told Me To Leave," at the start you think its going to be a mellow, emo kind of song but then you get a blast of metal at the chorus (accompanied with a solo, but not a traditional solo, a more emotional solo) and you've got for an instant classic song. Ians singing are a bit questionable at times but you learn to love it. The amazingly catchy guitar of "Kobrakai" has made for one of the most famous LP songs ever. Now "The Handsome Life Of Swing" is a different story. It is the exact opposite of "Astmtl" because it is the heaviest song but delivers a very soft chorus. now we have the slow song "Still Laughing," but it is quite an amazing song. While being very mellow and emotional it still delivers a bit of a rock hit when the bridge comes along, plus Ian's singing is amazing, definitly his best song. I have found this to be one of my favorite CD's simply because of the music. Simply astounding.

I am not even joking when I say that they wrote this album in a week, because I saw them say it, but it really shows in the lyrics. I don't know what Ian was thinking when he wrote the lyrics for "Kobrakai" but if he wanted it to come out like a corny western flick then mission accomplished. The only songs I found had good lyrics were "And She Told Me To Leave," "Still Laughing" and "Ode To Summer" which talks about the band reflecting on their childhood summers. All in all his lyrical ability is somewhat less than desired.

Since The Lostprophets sold out on their sophomore "Start Something" this is the best LP album. It is by far my favorite CD I own. if I lost it, I would freak out, cry, then go buy another one straight away. The most impressive songs on the album are: Shinobi, And She Told Me To Leave, Kobrakai, Still Laughing, and Ode To Summer. I love the emotional release that you get from listening to this CD. if you're having a bad or a good day, no matter what, this CD will get you smiling.

white_noise
    This is their best album, not really keen on handsome life of swing and ode to summer, but 'and she told me to leave' and fake sound of progress' are totally amazing.