The Fake Sound Of Progress review by Lostprophets

• Released: Oct 16, 2001
Lostprophets: The Fake Sound Of Progress

This was the second lp album I got, the first was there second album start something and when I got the fake sounds of progress I loved it. The first time I listened I was like, ooo this is a bit different, but after listening a couple more times it grew on me. The sound is alot different to Start Something. It is more metal and raw and less poppy. Its has a very unique sound though that is not very common. The songs on this album were written when they were bored in Whales and when they had no intention of getting into the chart. The guitar is great and theres alot of catchy riffs and funky solo type things that go on over the rythm guitar. The songs don't always follow the traditional verse chorus verse and cant start off very mellow and build up to become very heavy.

The lyrics are pretty good on the album, there full of emotion and about being like the underdog or about being in your home town with your friends. Some of the lyrics are just totally random and dont make much sense. The singer Ian Watkins is very good, theres not much to say about it really the singing is just good. On the album there is also some screeching or shouting whatever you want to call it like on the song The Handsome Life of Swing, but its pretty good because it aint used all the time.

I think this album is better than there second and more well known, Start Something. The Fake Sounds Of Progress is just better and has more feeling and was made when they were unknown and not in the public eye so they just did what they want and made there own unique style. This is apparant on Start Something but just not as much. Some good songs are, Shinobi Vs. Dragon Ninja, The Fake Sound Of Progress, Awkward and For Sure. If it were stolen yeah I would by a new copy and this cd is well worth any fan of lp. This album might not be the one for people who dont like anything to heavy though.

Build An Army
    what an awesome album... WHY DID THEY TURN ALL EMO!!! what a waste of a good band!! Although i do still listen to their more recent stuff, i wish they could still make music like this
    alexc123
    there next album supposadly suppose to be like the fake sounds of progress and some songs on it even heavier