Weapons review by Lostprophets

• Released: Apr 2, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Lostprophets: Weapons

Alternative metal band Lostprophets returns the music world with their new studio album, "Weapons". Lostprophets has a had a history of moderate success, beginning back in 2000 where their debut album, "TheFakeSoundOfProgress", went Double Platinum in the UK over 12 years. The band then scored a signing with a major music label, Warner Brothers, and went on to produce 3 more albums through 2004 and 2010. "Weapons" marks the band's fifth studio album, and most notably shows Lostprophets maintaining their traditional sound that first started 12 years ago. Lostprophets has a sound most comparable to that of Linkin Park, Hoobastank, and All-American Rejects, and the band has kept that sound in their new album. The first track off "Weapons", titled "Bring Em' Down", has a fast paced beat with repetitive guitar riffs and background synth playing that the band is well known for having. This sound is maintained throughout their entire album, but most notably with tracks such as "We Bring An Arsenal", "Better Off Dead", and "Jesus Walks (You And Me)". The entire album has a heavy, mainstream sound, most comparable to that of the All-American Rejects, but there are many surprising qualities in "Weapons" that make the album very enjoyable. Lostprophets' backup vocals, heavily distorted guitar, and just a great overall sound help make both the album and the band really stand out. Each time I go back and listen to the album, I find one or two more things that make the album stand out. If I'm ever stuck in the car and this comes on a mainstream pop station, I will be much less tempted to jump out the window!

Lostprophets have themselves stated they have a sound most comparable to Linkin Park or All-American Rejects. That being said, you'll should expect this very sound on "Weapons"! The band's mainstream sound can make the album hard to enjoy at times, but heavily distorted guitar and great vocals help give "Weapons" a few redeeming values. Ian Watkins' voice seems to have been meant to sing pop music, and as with all bands, the singer usually determines what an album's sound will be. However, the more and more you listen to the album, the more you start to enjoy both Ian's voice and the music in general.

"Weapons" is Lostprophets' 5th studio album, and it most notably shows the band keeping their mainstream, alternative rock sound. Although the entire album has significant modern influences, "Weapons" also contains several redeeming values, such as heavily distorted guitar and song-saving backup vocals. If you enjoy today's mainstream sound, or if you'd like to experiment with a slighter heavier pop album, you should have no problem enjoying this album.

Nirvanafanjonny
    Is that not the same sentence repeated several times but worded slightly differently...
    li4m4
    li4m4
    the review? yes definitely little thought gone into it in my opinion
    K!!LsWiTcH
    li4m4 wrote: I know the album wasn't the best they've done but really not even a 5? In my opinion this review was not fair at all, comparisons to AAR really? "You should have no problem enjoying this album" and then you give it a 6....that makes no sense to me
    i cant say how well the comparisons hold up but a 6 isnt bad. 5 is average...its above average. im guessing nothing on this made an impression on the reviewer that will stick with him forever.
    Bozjoarmstrong
    Raining Kasch
    Pretty accurate review. And this is coming from a fan of the band, I have loved their music for 7 years. But this album just isn't that great. It has its moments, but very little of what I loved so much about their other albums is shown here. Its just not that memorable.
    demprawnz
    A review is a personal opinion. It can't be a case of it being wrong or right...
    sTarbuck
    I think the reviewer thinks Lostprophets sound like somebody else. I can't quite put my finger on who though...
    redcatjjc1029
    It's a very honest review. I tried listening to some of the music he talked about, and it does really sound like All-American Rejects.
    Roxxie Roxx
    Aaron!!
    Bozjoarmstrong wrote: Regardless of whether the review is "wrong or right" it's poorly written and drastically lacks depth and substance. You'd expect much better from someone apparently on the UG team.
    This exactly. And comparisons to AAR? No, just no.
    Fearlessflyer3
    This album is horrible. There are maybe two decent tracks on Weapons. I love the uppity, head bopping sound of We Bring An Arsenal.. but that is it. I wish the whole album was more like that track. Man I wish they would go and touch on some roots from Thefakesoundofprogress. And yea.... weak review.
    vppark2
    Just listened to this album bc it got released in the US today, and it is by far their best album imo. The songs r very melodic. Also, this is barely alt-metal.
    CinderellaFan14
    Logan_B wrote: Roxxie Roxx wrote: Very accurate review. What is all this dissing the review? It is very well written and isn't one of your billion other reviews written by a die hard fan whos opinion will be hideously biased. This is a completely unbiased and pretty accurate review for a mediocre album. Well for all the praise he gives it you'd think at least an 8 or 9.....Its like if I said for example The Black Keys new cd isnt very good and that its boring and wasnt worth a second listen and then I gave it a 5 or 6 lol.
    Ok, fine. You wanted to be critical. I stayed positive, because if longtime fans saw that I wrote something negative about their band, then I would get blasted. I understand you're a fan, but I'm not going to write a biased review just to please the people who like that music.
    HardAttack
    I don't think anyone was trying to be rude. I can definitely say though that what the review says and the digits posted for each paragraph don't seem to match up. It looked as though he really enjoyed this album, although it wasn't outstanding, which would lead me to think "oh that should be a 7". Maybe this means a really amazing album would be a 7 or 8 for William? lol
    Logan_B