The View review by Lou Reed

• Released: Sep 26, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Lou Reed: The View

Definitely sounds like a Metallica riff, very nice and crunchy guitar tone and harks to the "St. Anger" days of riff-over-complexity. A tad too much crash cymbal for my tastes but I have to say it's good to hear the "Black Album" bass drum again. It takes a while to get into but by the end it truly gets into pace and is worthy of a headnod and foot tap to the rather slow paced and simple, yet enjoyable beat. Metallica clearly are the masters here and the music was their beast to tame and, although very simple and at times monotonous, is enjoyable.

Wow this is the big problem really isn't it? If this song were the Titanic then the Lyrics and Vocal performance are the Iceberg! James Hetfield's vocal parts are fine, what you'd come to expect from a post-"St. Anger" Metallica. The lyrics in this parts though are just as bad as the verses (more on that in a minute) with such gems as "I am the Table", "I am the Ten Stories" and "I am, I am, I am!". The lyrics are less out of place and more nonsensical, "I am the Table" wtf does that even mean? Is Papa Het really a table in this song's narrative? Ah Lou Reed. The man who, in this song, makes Lemmy Kilmeister sound like Pavarotti. He's much less singing and more rather "reading" the lyrics. And I use the term "reading" liberally as his vocal performance is just diabolically raspy and horrible to listen to. It's almost as if he's reading some random lyrics he wrote down over a pre-recorded Metallica Jam. Some argue that's the intended style thus making this song good, however the "jam/unrefined-garage" thing didn't work with "St. Anger" and it doesn't work this time.

When I first heard of LouTallica I was pretty excited, I mean a collaboration with this rather alien artist (to me), yet still very famous, was a special thing for both Metallica and their fans. This on the other hand has just been an awful attempt to bring uncertain fans in to buy the album. If this song is the best of the album (and at least I think it would be if it's meant to be the clincher for undecided fans) then I shudder to think what the rest of the album is like. Metallica fans hate Lou Reed's crappy vocals and Lou Reed's fans feel the song is spoiled by a misplaced metal riff. This song has turned more against LouTallica than it did to win them over. The song gets better with Hetfield's bits and might actually be mediocre without Lou Reed's vocals, I anticipate and await the many remixes removing his bits from this album to hear whether Lou really is the problem here.

MechaDio
    rapster998 wrote: this review is utmost crap. it's totally biased.
    He actually did a very thorough job explaining what's wrong with it. Although I would have to say that the Metallica bits are worse than what he says. The mass cymbal usage just make me laugh.
    EpiExplorer
    darkdevout
    I Thanatos wrote: If only Cliff Burton didn't die...
    congrats you made ***** of the week. Thats a big achievement.
    trashbeast
    DSG3002
    This song is ****ing hilarious when you imagine them all sitting in a room playing it when they're high out of their minds.
    j-falafel
    WAY too many St. Anger references in this review. I have not heard this song yet, but judging from the popular opinion, I probably shouldn't.
    metalfan986
    This song would suck pretty bad even without Lou Reed in his defense but with him it's just...wow
    theoldwizard
    omgbadman wrote: They need Christopher Walken to take over Lou Reed's vocals, then I'd buy it.
    blaisemetal
    thats true
    blaisemetal
    CSMusic wrote: I truly thought that Rebecca Black had the worst vocal performance and lyrics of 2011..... yea I was very wrong.
    MaDc0w
    It's the stupidest piece of shit I've heard in my life. Two formerly brilliant artists come together and take the worst parts of their careers and put it into one song. Lou Reed is talking, with a power-chord riff repeating itself for 3 minutes.
    Roberttitus
    david-vbhc wrote: Nickleback never sounded so good
    Hipsters never cease to amuse me.
    zerocenx
    This. Really, what is this ****ery? Lou sounds like he's choking to death on a mic.
    Mike_86
    the only modern musician with whom lou can make a record is John Frusciante who is actually his great fan and would make more appropriate music for him with his new age hendrix sound and could connect with him(and then stuff like this rap singing wouldn't happend) better than metallica who just let him do what he wanted,thats why he is just rapping this weird stuff here,because they cant direct him,this is new for them
    Its the Kyle
    Just listened to it and i gotta say.....it was just trash. The riff was okay, might be fun to learn, but it kinda droned a bit. The lyrics were nonsensical and boring, the chorus was either A) completely unrelated or B) had some underlying symbolism which it failed to call attention to (so it failed). The nail in the coffin really, is i was listening to it without looking at the time on the song to try and get caught in the mood, and there was no mood, no climax, no emotion; I barely noticed it was over. "That was it? Its over? Ah hell -__-" -Me
    Ibanezrocker800
    it's as if metallica wanted to copy dimebag darrel and david allen coe's rebel meets rebel, except they failed super duper hard.
    tonello
    EpiExplorer wrote: I likened it to this: One day, Metallica were jamming some sweet riffs and some vocal lines, but on their 3 hour coffee break, some old man broke into the studio and decided to get his few moments of fame by jibber-jabbering all over their rough mix. And then they released it anyway, to show that Metallica can get away with anything.
    Sounds about right, but I still blame Bob.
    nico42
    The only possible explanation: Metallica are trolling. The first hint is the drum intro - a drum intro, when Lars Ulrich is your drummer, is just trolling at its finest. Just listen to it..that might be one of the easiest beats you can do as a drummer and he can't even play that properly. Bass & Snare are blatantly quantized, which makes them sound pretty out of place, because you can't quantize that ridiculous cymbal-storm... Trolling. That's all.
    Metalfan20
    umadbro wrote: i disagree with this review. 3.7 is too high of a rating
    At least this view understood why no one liked rolling stone gave this 4 or 5 star rating.
    noisewall11
    I Thanatos wrote: 10 bucks says that butthurt Metallica fanboys are gonna swarm to this page now because their favorite artist didn't get a perfect 10.
    they already did. they were in the comments and review right above your post. all of them. acting like lou reed ruined metallica. i go as far to say metallica ruin lou reed. or he could just be senile.
    kLeft
    trashbeast wrote: this song is so mind numbingly boring, If this is what they chose for the single, imagine how bad the album is gonna be?
    Yeah, I can't imagine 19 minutes of a song like this.. (Seriously, at 5+ minutes this is the second shortest song on the album. x_X)
    Reptilianriff
    The Lemmy thing was totally uncalled for. Lemmy embodies rock and roll. very uncalled for.
    0rion2309
    "needs more cowbell!"
    CSMusic
    I truly thought that Rebecca Black had the worst vocal performance and lyrics of 2011..... I was very wrong.
    Gee Halen
    Actually it makes me wonder how "Death Magnetic" came into picture between St. Anger and this.
    HUH?!
    I'm sorry but Metallica lost there way a long time ago, and the St. Anger album is in the same boat as this little gem it's just terrible, and ideas like these should never show them selves in the light of day. EVER!!!!
    wolfrittner
    MyS3lF
    i still believe this is just some "intro", and i hope that next tracks are really songs
    MyS3lF
    st anger was awesome compared to this, can't understand why ppl still hate on it
    missmastermind
    When I read that Lou Reed and Metallica were teaming up to make a record I thought, "This could either be awesome, or it could be another St.Anger-like atrocity." It's leaning more towards the 2nd one for me.
    doomplant
    This, hmm, "song" was definely one of the worst things I ever heard in my life. I couldn't force myself to listen it until the end. I never heard anything from Lou Reed before, and now I definetly don't want to.
    I Thanatos
    coco-axeman
    Slaytan666 wrote: DaniArrow wrote: Lou Reed's cool. Metallica too. But not together. Yeah, this song is just an abortion. I don't know what possessed these guys to release this crap. My first instinct is to blame Lars. My next instinct is to blame Bob Rock, even though he had nothing to do with it.