Lulu review by Lou Reed & Metallica

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Oct 31, 2011
  • Sound: 7
  • Lyrics: 4
  • Overall Impression: 5
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
  • Users' score: 2.6 (526 votes)
Lou Reed & Metallica: Lulu
0

Sound — 7
Lou Reed & Metallica's collaboration sounded interesting at first, but then when we were "treated" with a sample from "The View" which was mixed with very different reactions. However, in my opinion "The View" is arguably the worst song on the album, I don't know why it was the first single.

However, the record doesn't work most of the time, it sounds like Metallica playing very receptive riffs over and over again why Lou Reed rambles over them. that's one thing that really turned me off the album, every song is Metallica repeating the same riff OVER and OVER again, every song on the album is above 4 minutes and most of the songs are around 7 to 19 minutes but we might only hear one riff played. The album could be cut short by 30 minutes. But the sound quality is very good unlike "Death Magnetic" so that's positive.

Lyrics — 4
But arguably the worst thing on the album is Lou Reeds vocals, Regardless if he is old or not he is useless, he talks for 90% of the time and sings badly out of key for the other 10%. His vocals don't even fit the song! Look at "Pumping Blood". Lou Reed's vocals just don't fit. It amazes me why James Hetfield doesn't sing these parts. However, there are several songs where the team-up clicks such as "Little Dog", "Dragon" and my personal favourite "Junior Dad".

Overall Impression — 5
As a whole, this album is interesting and worth a listen but only a few songs are actually good, the rest sound like a weird old man narrating Metallica. An interesting partnership but it isn't very enjoyable and at times very painful and funny. The collaboration has turned against them more than helped them. If the album was stolen, I probably wouldn't get another copy, I'm a bit disappointed but I didn't know what to expect.

0 comments sorted by best / new / date