Lightning Strikes review by Loudness

• Released: Jan 1, 1986
Loudness: Lightning Strikes

The sound has changed a little bit since "Disillusion," and "Thunder In The East." They switch to more of a pop metal sound, however; it shows they are able to master many different sounds. Akira Takasaki proves his talent on guitar, as he shreds at incomprehensible speeds.

Minoru's English has improved since "Disillusion," and "Thunder in the East." In the song "Shadows of War/Ashes in the Sky," they express the corruption of government, and their wars in near perfect English. The single "Let it Go," appears to be based on a woman that may have left a member of the band, but heavily emphasizes on moving on. My overall impression from this and most other Loudness CDs are more of a question in my mind, "How can someone express themselves so well in a language that isn't even native to them?"

Unlike other albums, it is near impossible to compare them with anyone else on this one. I love the new expermental pop metal sound, but I do eventually miss their bone crunching, in your face metal from "Thunder in the East." The most impressive song of the album is without a doubt "Shadows of War/Ashes in the Sky", and their single "Let it Go." Akira Takasaki continues his mind blowing solos, which only seem to improve over time.