The Best Little Secrets Are Kept review by Louis XIV

• Released: Mar 22, 2005
Louis XIV: The Best Little Secrets Are Kept

The album begins with a depressing violin solo, slowly leading to nothing. It cuts off abruptly and the Louis XIV sound kicks in. It feels like dirt, the guitars are grainy, the bass is deep, and the drums play a minimalistic beat. It's rock and roll in it's purest form. The best way to describe them is The White Stripes, with a better drummer and a front man who can sing. The guitars hit big cords, with distortion blasting. The solos are fabulously done in complex blues maneuvers. The next few songs start out with a solid drum beat, or clapping, or something to set the speed, and quickly they break down much into the same style as previously noted. The guitar playing is done very well, each solo sounds unique, and the music doesn't sound the same throughout the album, each song has a musical feeling all its own. When listening to this album, one must be reminded that they recorded this in Paris, on almost ancient machinery. They wanted to go for the sound of the old time rock and roll. Each song was recorded in one take, with the exception of just one or two tracks. Not much remixing was done from there, so this album lets you get as close to the music as you can.

The lyrics are all very interesting. They are for the most part, about sex. They didn't try to veil them in any way, it's there. They do it in a good fashion, they don't try and play them down. The songs that aren't about sex all have interesting connotations about them. Such as "A Letter To Dominique" where it's a one sided conversation to Dominique, who has apparently been murdered. The singer has an accent that I cannot quite pinpoint. But I've never been good with figuring out accents. He sings along the lines of Jack White, minus the naislely tone. The best way to describe it as a white blues singer.

The Best Little Secrets Are Kept is up there with my favorite albums. In a world teeming with teenage bands that sing about love and how hurt they feel, this is a welcome change of pace. Especially since indie music has lost it's grip and started to sell their sound to radio. This band feels like one of those who will never get radio play, not because they aren't good musicians, but because they have a sound that is not marketable to a mass market. I love the very stripped feeling of the album, the very minimalistic sound. When you're surrounded by music that tries to go bigger and bigger, and get more and more air time it can get boring. This is rock and roll devolving, for the better. If I were to play this album til the plastic melted away I'd go right out and buy a brand new one.

stradivari310
    gravity2905
    stradivari310 wrote: this is a pretty cool album, but I like the new one better.. it's definitely more out there, but in a good way.
    i agree man. this one was fun and cool. but the new album takes all their work to a new level, still with that quirky, fun vibe but with a whole new feel of depth and emotion.