Forever Changes review by Love

• Released: Jan 1, 1967
Love: Forever Changes

This album is one of the most overlooked and unappreciated albums in the Last 50 years. Fronted by Arthur Lee this California band was the 2nd Rock band behind Paul Butterfield Blues To be signed to Elektra. Forever Changes was their 3rd album and came out in early 1968. One of the first albums to use an entire orchestra it may jump out at you as just a psychedelic pop album but if you are a purveyor of great music you will realize this band was way ahead of their time, Arthur Lee was known to be best friends with Jimi Hendrix and jammed with him many times in their younger days. I am mostly a fan of Progressive Metal but this album is still one of my top 5 albums ever made with songs such as "A House Is Not A Motel" with its searing 3 guitar solo at the end or haunting tracks such as "Red Telephone" this album is hard to take out of your cd/record player! This album has a great Fuzz guitar sound and was produced by some of the best engineers of the time. overall it is a great Progressive/Psychedelic album and should be listened to at least once. "Arthur Lee also discovered Jim Morrison and the Doors. Bringing Elektra's President to a few Doors gigs... Eventually the Doors Signed with Elektra and came out with their 1st album the same year as this album.

Arthur Lee was more then likely tripping pretty hard on LSD when he wrote the lyrics for this album, I mean it was California and it was 1967, but they seem to fit the music pretty well. With subtle sexual innuendos and dreamy lsd induced trip themes. Arthur grew up covering many R&B bands such as Jackie Wilson, Little Richard..etc. Which gives Love an altogether different sound. Unfortunately Arthur's connection with drugs was his downfall. He wouldn't tour because he would be so far away from his drug connects.

This Band got me into the 60's and really made me appreciate older music, this album is filled with impressive songs, my foavorite being "A House is Not A Motel" "Red Telephone" and "Alone Again Or.." There is not much to hate on this album, some of the slower songs are drawn out and the use of horns on the album are a little redundant, but overall this album will definately open your eyes to a different era of great Rock & Roll. I Have this Album on CD and Vinyl and would never Lose it! But if it got stolen I would definately buy it again next day with no qualms.