Far Q review by Lower Than Atlantis

• Released: Jan 1, 2010
Lower Than Atlantis: Far Q

In this day and age, rarely are we introduced to new bands that capture the raw intensity of the early punk scene. Bands like Blink-182, Green Day, and All Time Low take the simple, yet energetic instrumentals, but dilute them with lovesick lyrics. Lower Than Atlantis just may be our modern savior from Punk-Pop. Every bit as pissed off and loud as acts such as Black Flag or the Circle Jerks, Lower Than Atlantis show modern audiences what it truly means to be in a Punk Rock band. From the beginning you can tell that these four British lads don't plan on slowing down. Opening song Far Q is a great kickoff, leading into B.O.R.E.D., which is quite possibly the best hardcore headknocker since the Circle Jerks wrote Wild In The Streets. The album almost never veers away from this all out attack, but that isn't to say the songs are at all the same. They incorperate intriguing melodies and guitar lines in their work (see Eating Is Cheating or the surprisingly calm Mike Duce's Symphony in D Minor) that make them stand out as an even more noteworthy band.

Pissed off, vicious, bored, all these describe Lower Than Atlantis lyrically. Their delivery gives off a sense of urgency that isn't common in modern music. So long has the classic "one, two, F*** you" approach been abandoned in punk that it's almost just a distant memory. The vocals are absolutely stellar, giving off the feel of a disgruntled youth with a bit more wit and political know-how backing that opinion.

There are so many high points in this album that I honestly can't find a low. It's everything I love about punk without the watering down that most modern artists practice. Lower Than Atlantis are showing great promise in the modern Punk genre with this release, exclusively released in their home country of England. News has it that it will be offered with their Summerian Records debut World Record over here in the states. No matter what the quality of the new release will be, I would highly recommend picking up the album just so you can have this near perfect release. For fans of Black Flag, Alkaline Trio, Rise Against, Henry Rollins Band.

kirigoe
    LTA is good stuff, I got into them without ever being much of a punk person, yet the tunes are so catchy and interesting that I just have to keep listening.
    BobChicken
    cracking, absolutely ****ing cracking. This band are just beginning to break through now, and they deserve every bit of it
    ninjagayden777
    alias1347 wrote: omg....its a new punk band...thats really punk.
    My thoughts exactly upon trying em out